ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Nickal, That was quick

Can we all agree that the UFC is talking him up as the best college wrestler in recent memory (which he’s up there) but this board could have him ranked 5th with just Penn State guys in our recent memory.

Reactions: diggerpup
Can we all agree that the UFC is talking him up as the best college wrestler in recent memory (which he’s up there) but this board could have him ranked 5th with just Penn State guys in our recent memory.
I took it more like they were talking him up as the best college wrestler that’s currently in the fight game. That may be hard to argue against…

Um, See the title on the other one. Bo isn't fighting on July 3rd. We are in August.
What do you mean, it says August too…..
Get To Work GIF by Freedomists

I have no clue how UFC contracts work for new fighters, but might Bo's contact terms work in his favor the longer he keeps winning convincingly?

Excited to see more Penn Staters go mma. Nolf posted about him maybe going. Then there's Cassar fighting in December. Not sure who he is fighting.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
Excited to see more Penn Staters go mma. Nolf posted about him maybe going. Then there's Cassar fighting in December. Not sure who he is fighting.
I don’t think MMA is ready for Nolf. Has there ever been a gas tank like his? If he got in trouble, he’d let his arm break; he’d never tap.

Reactions: Verolion
With all due respect to Bo. I have seen guys.....(HEAVY favorites) break their own leg or foot because the guy move a bit and a freak thing happened. I recently watched a guy who was a big favorite step backwards and his knee popped. I certainly would not have bet against Bo last fight. But for a one on one combat event.........I would never risk 100,000 ( even if I had it ) on the chance I could make 3,300 profit. Anyone who has that much money to risk is not going to risk it for 3.3%

With all due respect to Bo. I have seen guys.....(HEAVY favorites) break their own leg or foot because the guy move a bit and a freak thing happened. I recently watched a guy who was a big favorite step backwards and his knee popped. I certainly would not have bet against Bo last fight. But for a one on one combat event.........I would never risk 100,000 ( even if I had it ) on the chance I could make 3,300 profit. Anyone who has that much money to risk is not going to risk it for 3.3%
I appreciated his effort to frame it positively.

What we need to remember here is that this is the freakin UFC. How many guys go DIRECTLY to the best game in the land? This is similar to a college baseball player going directly to the MLB, it just doesnt happen very often. Dana thinks a LOT of Bo,he knows talent when he sees it.
A lot of guys NEVER get to see the UFC (Ed Ruth) and Bo is going DIRECT!

I'm actually somewhat curious as I've followed less of Ed's MMA career. I know he's 8-3 and has been subbed twice. One time by Neiman Gracie so that's excusable lol. The other time by a heel hook to a random guy I haven't heard of. His other loss was to Yaroslav Amosov, who is probably the best PFP fighter in Bellator. Ed's career was basically the same tier as Bo so kind of curious why he's skidding a bit, does he focus on it full time even? I know he's coaching now.

Bellator allows its fighters to wear advertising during their fights. There was a healthy exodus of decent fighters that left UFC for Bellator when UFC stopped allowing it. It’s been a few years, but recollection is that there was a general sense that Bellator gave its fighters more control over their own careers. I think the highest levels of UFC blow Bellator away in money, but maybe not so much below that. Folks that know more about it can correct me.

Also - for awhile, it seemed Bellator was signing a lot of wrestlers. I actually thought that was their ploy to beat UFC a few years back.

I'm actually somewhat curious as I've followed less of Ed's MMA career. I know he's 8-3 and has been subbed twice. One time by Neiman Gracie so that's excusable lol. The other time by a heel hook to a random guy I haven't heard of. His other loss was to Yaroslav Amosov, who is probably the best PFP fighter in Bellator. Ed's career was basically the same tier as Bo so kind of curious why he's skidding a bit, does he focus on it full time even? I know he's coaching now.
Bo and Ed interview completely different.

Bo has his own gym and business plan

Ed might be "generational" but he's wasn't exactly marketing himself at a top level

Phil Davis has had a very successful MMA career. He was the main event once or twice in UFC and was ranked very high. He left UFC for Bellator and became their lightweight champion. He lost a title fight to Ryan Bader but remains their #1 contender, I believe.

There was some controversy in one of his UFC wins where Dana White called out the officials for awarding the win to Davis. I’ve often wondered if that is why left UFC.

ADVERTISEMENT