ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Nickal Confirms He Is Going 86 KG For Olympic Team Trials

How will 86 KG get seeded? Here are some of the key guys in possible contention if they qualify for the Olympic Trials. It looked for a while like a stroll to the Olympics for Taylor. Now the path might get more complex.

1. DT

2. Nickal

3. Zahid

4. Deiringer

5. Myles Martin

6. Heflin

7. Sammy Brooks

8. Aaron Brooks

9. Nate Jackson

10. Brett Pfarr

11. Drew Foster

12. PD III (or is he old news?)

13. Max Dean and/or Gabe Dean?

How will 86 KG get seeded? Here are some of the key guys in possible contention if they qualify for the Olympic Trials. It looked for a while like a stroll to the Olympics for Taylor. Now the path might get more complex.

1. DT

2. Nickal

3. Zahid

4. Deiringer

5. Myles Martin

6. Heflin

7. Sammy Brooks

8. Aaron Brooks

9. Nate Jackson

10. Brett Pfarr

11. Drew Foster

Is it? DT is at another level imo.

1. DT

2. Nickal

3. Zahid

4. Deiringer

5. Myles Martin

6. Heflin

7. Sammy Brooks

8. Aaron Brooks

9. Nate Jackson

10. Brett Pfarr

11. Drew Foster

Bo and Valencia is a match I believe we would all love to see. Zahid will show up wrestling and that always provides plenty of opportunities for Bo to do Bo things.
As far as Taylor, there isn't anybody on that list that is going to complicate things for a healthy Taylor.

1. DT

2. Nickal

3. Zahid

4. Deiringer

5. Myles Martin

6. Heflin

7. Sammy Brooks

8. Aaron Brooks

9. Nate Jackson

10. Brett Pfarr

11. Drew Foster

Havent heard much from Marky, but if he enters, he is top 5, talent wise anyway.

that's so weird to me that would put that article behind a paywall. it's basically an intagram post, a list of bo's accomplishments inlcuding a link to their recap of the NLWC event, a list of a few other people at 86kg, and more detail on DT and a link to DT's flo match with martin.
seriously-at-this-point-im-not-even-surprised.jpg

1. DT

2. Nickal

3. Zahid

4. Deiringer

5. Myles Martin

6. Heflin

7. Sammy Brooks

8. Aaron Brooks

9. Nate Jackson

10. Brett Pfarr

11. Drew Foster

Downey had posted his USA Wrestling suspension letter on Twitter but I see he has since deleted it. Suffice it to say there was a laundry list of alleged misconduct. He’s a 28-year-old man who acts like a child. I doubt we see him in a singlet anytime soon.

I think DT is a clear favorite for obvious reasons, but I don’t think he techs Ringer, Bo, or Zahid.

It’s all about the matchups. I’d say Ringer is a more defensive wrestler than Myles Martin. Hang and bang, low volume shooter.

Myles Martin beat Ringer at Senior Nats. Got obliterated by Taylor. Not sure how it translates, but I’m also not sure that trying to bang with Taylor is a good idea for Ringer, as he’s got to be giving up 4” of height and reach. Hello, ankle picks.

I think DT is a clear favorite for obvious reasons, but I don’t think he techs Ringer, Bo, or Zahid.
I concur. There's good reason to be optimistic that DT will regain his pre-injury dominance, but until I have more data points involving world class competition my optimism will remain the cautious variety.

It's hard to imagine a prepared Bo, Ringer, or ZV being tech'd by anyone. OTOH, almost any elite wrestler can tech another elite wrestler if the stars align to find oneself holding the perfect leg lace. That's one of the beautiful/horrible things about freestyle.

that's so weird to me that would put that article behind a paywall. it's basically an intagram post, a list of bo's accomplishments inlcuding a link to their recap of the NLWC event, a list of a few other people at 86kg, and more detail on DT and a link to DT's flo match with martin.

FloKaren costs a lot of money.

It’s all about the matchups. I’d say Ringer is a more defensive wrestler than Myles Martin. Hang and bang, low volume shooter.

Myles Martin beat Ringer at Senior Nats. Got obliterated by Taylor. Not sure how it translates, but I’m also not sure that trying to bang with Taylor is a good idea for Ringer, as he’s got to be giving up 4” of height and reach. Hello, ankle picks.
I was SO surprised when Myles beat Ringer. Just didn't have the power at 86 that he had at 79 at that point. He looked bigger to me on Saturday--so that may be less of an issue this year. Or maybe not? You're right that the match-ups are key here. The one that bothers me when I think about DT's chances is Zahid. Zahid can finish lightning quick, which is what it takes against David. Avoid scrambles wherever possible.

Honestly - if there is any silver lining with COVID and sports ... DT had more time to heal up. I think he would have won the trials no issues last year but now he gets another year?

Also - I'm obviously a homer but did you see what DT did to MyMar? I'm not ruling out him finishing any team USA member. As much as I love Bo ... I don't think he has much for a healthy DT.

I had to re-read this, to make sure it wasn't about Downey.

Seriously, we're more likely to see Kenny Courts than Downey. Not that we'll notice.

Also, Mark Hall is a real spoiler for somebody. He'll be very difficult to seed -- for all of his age-group success, limited SR experience and none at this weight. If he can avoid a 7-10 seed, he's a legit threat to make the semis.

I concur. There's good reason to be optimistic that DT will regain his pre-injury dominance, but until I have more data points involving world class competition my optimism will remain the cautious variety.

It's hard to imagine a prepared Bo, Ringer, or ZV being tech'd by anyone. OTOH, almost any elite wrestler can tech another elite wrestler if the stars align to find oneself holding the perfect leg lace. That's one of the beautiful/horrible things about freestyle.

I found this part poignant and true. Big fan of the ___/___ style of describing a paradox.
Which made me want to share this awesome quote about paradoxes from a book by a Quaker author I read back in 06 or 08 or so:

"In a paradox, opposites do not negate each other, they cohere in mysterious unity at the heart of reality."

It's such a well-constructed sentence and packed full of truth. And it's a great fit as a Freestyle description for this Folkstyle fan (me).

I found this part poignant and true. Big fan of the ___/___ style of describing a paradox.
Which made me want to share this awesome quote about paradoxes from a book by a Quaker author I read back in 06 or 08 or so:

"In a paradox, opposites do not negate each other, they cohere in mysterious unity at the heart of reality."

It's such a well-constructed sentence and packed full of truth. And it's a great fit as a Freestyle description for this Folkstyle fan (me).
May I ask which authors are good with this type of juxtaposition? I’d love to read her/his books. I happen to be reading a Walter Mosley book that I think has a small bit of similar juxtaposition/unexpected descriptor, although I can’t recall any example now.

Last edited:
May I ask which authors are good with this type of juxtaposition? I’d love to read her/his books. I happen to be reading a Walter Mosley book that I think has a small bit of similar juxtaposition/unexpected descriptor, although I can’t recall any example now.
There's always the Tao Te Ching--kinda the OG text on the topic. If you like lyrical, Rumi's poetry does a pretty good job too.

Jtothemfp, Here is one, although it is closer to a play on words than a paradox, but it does require some thought to unravel: "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes." P.S. Thank you for the preview you wrote on the NLWC event. It was well done.

Jtothemfp, Here is one, although it is closer to a play on words than a paradox, but it does require some thought to unravel: "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes." P.S. Thank you for the preview you wrote on the NLWC event. It was well done.
Rocky and Apollo performed the similar duality. “I thought you said be cool” “That *was* cool” :)

Edit: Neil Gaiman did something even more similar in the Sandman universe. Maybe involving Destiny’s book?

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp

What up, ye ole welder of dog! Clarity question: when you write good with "this type of juxtaposition" are you referring to the ___/___ construction, or the paradox quote I dropped?

Reactions: Dogwelder
What up, ye ole welder of dog! Clarity question: when you write good with "this type of juxtaposition" are you referring to the ___/___ construction, or the paradox quote I dropped?
Not necessarily the construction but more the quote. I mean the unexpected, (almost-) paradoxical description of something that gives deep insight. Something like a snippet my middle school teacher showed us that I cannot find via google. It went something like: “He shattered the beautiful vase, improving it beyond all recognition.”

So what I clumsily mean by juxtaposition is basically the ~paradox, the combination of the expected and the seemingly incompatible unexpected (cool/not cool) (answer/not answer).

Reactions: jtothemfp
Anyone else think the 1-1 match we saw Saturday was mostly about 2 guys feeling each out. It seemed that neither Bo nor Ringer wanted to show much to the other.

Anyone else think the 1-1 match we saw Saturday was mostly about 2 guys feeling each out. It seemed that neither Bo nor Ringer wanted to show much to the other.
definetly... Bo likes it when someone underhooks, Ringer likes that lefty underhook... Strength on strength..

i watched it. Feeling out was part of it, seeding for the future ?, and perhaps their styles of wrestling are great defensive matches to the others offensive skills. I doubt they wrestle each other in the same way if they ever meet again.

There's always the Tao Te Ching--kinda the OG text on the topic. If you like lyrical, Rumi's poetry does a pretty good job too.

Indeed. I also recommend the many writings of Alan Watts, who speaks about a coincidence of opposites. A bunch of his lectures on Eastern thought are available for free on the Internet. The South Park guys have animated some of his short talks. Here is one that kind of relates to the topic at hand: Prickles and Goo:

One of my favorites:
  • “What a pity that youth must be wasted on the young.” – George Bernard Shaw.

1. DT

2. Nickal

3. Zahid

4. Deiringer

5. Myles Martin

6. Heflin

7. Sammy Brooks

8. Aaron Brooks

9. Nate Jackson

10. Brett Pfarr

11. Drew Foster

Not entirely certain how they do seeding.....but it certainly wouldn't/shouldn't shock anyone if Zahid gets seeded higher than Bo....since the only time they have actually met....Zahid was the winner. He also defeated Ringer more convincingly.....snort....snort.. I don't think being 2 or 3 matters that much in the overall view of things though. A super Semi-final looks highly likely.

Taylor is a bad matchup for Zahid. I think DT methodically picks him apart and gets a tech. I don't want to say "Easily" buuuttt...

I also think Taylor controls Ringer and wins that comfortably.

Interested in a match with Bo. There's a level of familiarity none of the others have plus Bo is not afraid to go for a big move..

Not necessarily the construction but more the quote. I mean the unexpected, (almost-) paradoxical description of something that gives deep insight. Something like a snippet my middle school teacher showed us that I cannot find via google. It went something like: “He shattered the beautiful vase, improving it beyond all recognition.”

So what I clumsily mean by juxtaposition is basically the ~paradox, the combination of the expected and the seemingly incompatible unexpected (cool/not cool) (answer/not answer).

Gotcha.

The quote is from The Courage to Teach, by Parker Palmer. Link: https://archive.org/details/isbn_9780787996864
I remember enjoying the book and the theme of encouraging us to share what we learn. The whole book wasn't about that paradox quote, but it had struck me so hard that I wrote it down, and have found myself coming back to across many years now.

I will now return to my day job to cohere in mysterious unity with my desire to read & talk wrestling and the need to complete my income-generating work.

Taylor is a bad matchup for Zahid. I think DT methodically picks him apart and gets a tech. I don't want to say "Easily" buuuttt...

I also think Taylor controls Ringer and wins that comfortably.

Interested in a match with Bo. There's a level of familiarity none of the others have plus Bo is not afraid to go for a big move..

Taylor is THEE BAD MATCHUP, just ask YazDONEy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT