ADVERTISEMENT

Bo knows Ju Jit Su

3x NCAA Champ Bo Nickal Replaces Erberth Santos, Will Battle Gordon Ryan In 3rd Coast Grappling Main Event

Heck of a way to start your jiu jitsu career

No kidding!

gordonbo1.jpg

Really interesting news...

Don't know much about the rules of jiu-jitsu, but will check into them later. In the mean-time, here's a paragraph from the article;

The match will have modified 3rd Coast Grappling rules, which means the match will be fifteen minutes long. There will be no leg locks, no guard pulling, and no tech fall at 11 points. The competitor who submits their opponent or has more points at the end of the time limit will win.

P.S. Anyone that can post their knowledge of this sport, please do so.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Just earned my black belt in jiu-jitsu,and the modified rules are definitely to help Bo as a newbie in the jiu jitsu world. Gordon Ryan is one of the best in the world and if you aren't familiar with leg locks, the match would likely end very quickly, as they are dangerous and can end a match immediately. Bo's wrestling is of course stronger, but wrestling moves can sometimes leave you vulnerable to jiu jitsu moves, aka, takedowns executed improperly in jitsu will leave you exposed to a guillotine choke.

I'd much rather Bo do Jiu Jitsu full time than straight up MMA. I'm still learning the scoring rules myself--though my son has been doing it for about a year, and really likes it. I could be wrong, but I believe Bo has been practicing since he was a kid--that's no stand-in for upper level belts (BJJ belt achievements are probably some of the most rigorous in all of martial arts--congrats @Leglace!), but he's not by any means totally green (ie White).

Just curious, but why? Novice at this discipline, and injury potential?

More the novice part - concern for his well being and career. His opponent does not appear to be a tomato can. I assume he’s getting good advice though.

More the novice part - concern for his well being and career. His opponent does not appear to be a tomato can. I assume he’s getting good advice though.
I assure you he is (getting good advice). Still, he's spreading his wings.

Gordon Ryan gives Bo a ton of props for stepping up and promises to give Bo a match in the future that is closer to Freestyle Wrestling than Jiu Jitsu.

Hey - who knows, this can be the beginning of a partnership as Bo pursues MMA one day.

Get that Paper Bo.

No leg locks takes out the "fear" for me. He'll be safe... Can obviously still get hurt (as he could in practice), but this is great for the sport to get some new eyes while still protecting Bo.

Am I the only one who doesn’t like this one bit?
No.

Not interested one bit in jiu jitsu. Definitely not interested in some made up event with made up rules trying to intermingle jiu jitsu and wrestling. Honestly can’t believe that many people would be interested in this side show.

It's essentially ADCC without leg locks and guard pulls. And honestly, if you're pulling guard in no-gi you're an asshole. If Ryan, who is juiced to the gills, can keep him on the ground it ends quickly. Bo's best bet is catch and release.

Reactions: diggerpup
Really interesting news...

Don't know much about the rules of jiu-jitsu, but will check into them later. In the mean-time, here's a paragraph from the article;

The match will have modified 3rd Coast Grappling rules, which means the match will be fifteen minutes long. There will be no leg locks, no guard pulling, and no tech fall at 11 points. The competitor who submits their opponent or has more points at the end of the time limit will win.

P.S. Anyone that can post their knowledge of this sport, please do so.

Hey @purplebelt42 can you provide any insight?

It's essentially ADCC without leg locks and guard pulls. And honestly, if you're pulling guard in no-gi you're an asshole. If Ryan, who is juiced to the gills, can keep him on the ground it ends quickly. Bo's best bet is catch and release.
Your command of the Greek language is commendable! :) #makingfunofmenotyou

Reactions: csiebott
I just read about this myself. If chokes, arm bars and triangles are allowed, I’m going Gordon Ryan.
I don’t know the extent of Bo’s jiu jitsu skill set.

I have know doubt in his ability to take Ryan down. But, that’s where wrestling and jiu jitsu differ once it hits the ground. Ryan will be deadly off his back.....Bo will have a great wrestlers base. Enough to now get swept or submitted? Not sure!

having said that, GO BO!

at that level of submission grappling, its the heal hooks that are most lethal! Nothing to do with heels.......totally rips out the knee if you turn the opposite way of the crank or its cranked with so much force that you can't tap fast enough! They SUCK far worse than toe holds and or knee bars!

I watched some of Gordan Ryan's bouts on Youtube. Let me just say, I have no idea how any of this works........the rules, the scoring, etc. He seems like a tough dude. Best of luck to Bo.

I just read about this myself. If chokes, arm bars and triangles are allowed, I’m going Gordon Ryan.
I don’t know the extent of Bo’s jiu jitsu skill set.

I have know doubt in his ability to take Ryan down. But, that’s where wrestling and jiu jitsu differ once it hits the ground. Ryan will be deadly off his back.....Bo will have a great wrestlers base. Enough to now get swept or submitted? Not sure!

having said that, GO BO!

I appreciate you sharing your expertise.

I hope he stays injury free! I would love to see a healthy, full-sized Bo at Olympic Trials this spring...

Having no idea about the rules, I looked around and found this helpful

If Bo wants to go MMA this makes sense in that it is exposing him to another niche discipline that likely has cross over fans to the MMA and will be useful as he transitions. Bo is looking to grow his brand, so this makes sense I guess. I honestly know nothing about jiu jitsu or his opponent?

Hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t see Bo being super competitive in this matchup. It’s like Askren vs Burroughs or PD3 vs that BJJ guy in modified Freestyle. Or Michael Jordan in MLB. You can be an unbelievable athlete, it doesn’t give you a chance against elite competition in a foreign discipline. I’m hoping first that he stays healthy, and second that he gets some nice takedowns before what feels like an inevitable submission. If Bo proves me wrong then awesome, shame on me, and look out UFC.

Hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t see Bo being super competitive in this matchup. It’s like Askren vs Burroughs or PD3 vs that BJJ guy in modified Freestyle. Or Michael Jordan in MLB. You can be an unbelievable athlete, it doesn’t give you a chance against elite competition in a foreign discipline. I’m hoping first that he stays healthy, and second that he gets some nice takedowns before what feels like an inevitable submission. If Bo proves me wrong then awesome, shame on me, and look out UFC.
My sentiments exactly. I was pleased, and impressed, to hear Gordon Ryan say that he plans to submit Bo in a way that doesn’t injure him or interfere with his Olympics prep.

Reactions: Grip220
My sentiments exactly. I was pleased, and impressed, to hear Gordon Ryan say that he plans to submit Bo in a way that doesn’t injure him or interfere with his Olympics prep.
I wonder whether Ryan will help Bo get up from the mat after the match. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Grip220
Just a guess, Bo will surprise. Not win, but surprise.

Just a guess, Bo will surprise. Not win, but surprise.
Hi Roar, I got excited that you were finally making a prediction for the record. Then I read “not win”. Darn.

It’s going to happen. One day you will make a concrete prediction on who wins something! :)

Edit. Hmm. Did you mean that you predict Bo will lose And Ryan will win? If so, I’m excited again by the actual prediction!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT