ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett

billrag

Jan 25, 2011
I know that this kid gets talked about a lot here, but curious that the Ultimate Club Duals haven't been mentioned. He's a whirling dervish. They have several of his matches up on Youtube (I'm not sure that the board allows posting content from there) and I just watched him easily dispatch a NY high school state champ. I think he was up 10-4 (the 4 points all on Bassett releases) before he stuck the kid. I also saw a match where he tech-falled and embarrassed a WVU commit. Most of these kids (all of these kids) simply can't match his pace, let alone his technical skills.

Like I said, I know he gets a lot of interest, but I hadn't seen these matches or any mention of them yet.

Reactions: jsk163
He used to be talked about a lot on here. Then dropped a few matches and people stopped. I watched one match live from this weekend, the Tournament guy was announcing it. I think it was a top ten match Vs the kid who he lost to at Fargo. I think he won 13-4 and cut him 4 times. Basset isn’t scared to put it on the line that is for sure and has been spending lots of time in the NLWC room.
A few weeks ago someone was telling me he TF’d PSU commit Cael Nasedo in the second. People were saying this weekend about Basset, Forest, Gibson, Herring all training together. @billrag Where can I see those matches?

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Try the Bassett Brothers wrestling channel on Youtube. Like I said, aside from having very sound technical skills, he's just on a different level with his conditioning and nobody can keep up.

Try the Bassett Brothers wrestling channel on Youtube. Like I said, aside from having very sound technical skills, he's just on a different level with his conditioning and nobody can keep up.
There are a few coaches that played a part in honing their wrestling skills but as for their strength and conditioning, dad (The Compound) should get most of the credit there. Well. aside from the boys themselves who are putting in the work..

I know that this kid gets talked about a lot here, but curious that the Ultimate Club Duals haven't been mentioned. He's a whirling dervish. They have several of his matches up on Youtube (I'm not sure that the board allows posting content from there) and I just watched him easily dispatch a NY high school state champ. I think he was up 10-4 (the 4 points all on Bassett releases) before he stuck the kid. I also saw a match where he tech-falled and embarrassed a WVU commit. Most of these kids (all of these kids) simply can't match his pace, let alone his technical skills.

Like I said, I know he gets a lot of interest, but I hadn't seen these matches or any mention of them yet.
For what it’s worth, you can easily share YouTube videos on this forum simply by pasting the link in to your message. The forum will automatically turn that into an embedded video, easy peasey:

For what it’s worth, you can easily share YouTube videos on this forum simply by pasting the link in to your message. The forum will automatically turn that into an embedded video, easy peasey:

Thanks, I just wasn't sure if it was frowned upon or not. As for starting a new thread, I knew that he's been talked about a LOT on this forum, but the most recent thread isn't active and hasn't been posted in for 5 months so I presumed it would be OK to start a new one about a very recent high school tournament.

It's pretty hard to keep a thread going about a kid this young, especially in the off season. I think we are all pretty excited for Bo, both his potential and the potential we have to land him someday.

That said it is still very early in his career. Kid's bodies grow a lot during highschool. For every 1 freshman level Spencer Lee phenom, there are probably 10-20 phenom Adam Busiellos.

For now it's fun to watch him destroy almost everyone in his path, as well as spend some time in state college now and then. Some elite older kids are able to handle him, so he is just still a pup in training to become a Wolf. I should have used a cat analogy there.

As for how good can he be at the collegiate level and beyond? We will know a lot more after his junior year, as opposed to 8th grade. Bo looks like he could have generational talent, but this is a marathon not a sprint.

By the time we get to his recruiting season we may well see his other thread get the second most posts of any on this board. Until then my head is dancing with thoughts of MaM, Carol, Lelledahl, Sealy and Hopke.

Reactions: jsk163
I found it. Thank you.
Basset vs Nasdeo

Reactions: danoftw

This is kind of weird where he talks about being around "kids who swear or listen to bad music." I was kind of ostracized in wrestling because I listened to music that wasn't "Christian Rock", I liked The Police and U2 which meant I wasn't a Christian and am going to hell. At one point one of the older brothers of a kid on the team told me that he had to baptize me in the bathtub while my parents weren't home.

Reactions: Rick Sanchez
That was your take away from that. All I could look at was the PSU sweatshirt. No more Iowa and hopefully no Cornell Gear. This kid is a killer and speaks like he is 25. I used to listen to jealous people talking about him but I am seriously becoming a fan. We will need a Bo soon on the team. Nickal, Bartlett, ???

This is kind of weird where he talks about being around "kids who swear or listen to bad music." I was kind of ostracized in wrestling because I listened to music that wasn't "Christian Rock", I liked The Police and U2 which meant I wasn't a Christian and am going to hell. At one point one of the older brothers of a kid on the team told me that he had to baptize me in the bathtub while my parents weren't home.
I listened to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest before I went out there...which doesn't make me good or bad, just old.

I listened to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest before I went out there...which doesn't make me good or bad, just old.

Thanks for sharing, Lucifer.

👹👺👿😉🤣😁

This is kind of weird where he talks about being around "kids who swear or listen to bad music."
So what you're telling us is: Bo Bassett is really 75.

grand-torino.gif

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy

The Police and U2? Heathen! Scofflaw! Ne'er do well! : ) I graduated in 1982 and l mostly listened to a lot of my Dad's music, including a lot of CCR, Doors, Beatles, Ventures, Don McLean, Iron Butterfly, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Harry Nilsson and a lot of other artists and bands way before my time. I honestly don't know if I ever bought an album in high school, except maybe for a Nazareth or Aerosmith album. Most of the lyrics were fairly clean except for a lot of sexual innuendo, which mostly went over my head! Most of the time I didn't even pay attention to the lyrics, which was easy because if you did not have the album liner notes you had no access to the lyrics. I am thankful I didn't grow up listening to some of the music that is popular today. I will take the sexual innuendo over the repetitive "F" bombs and misogynistic lyrics that pass for a lot of music today. WAP no, classic rock yes! Now get off my lawn! :cool:

In my freshman year, the team's warm up music was Hello Again by The Cars. After that class graduated, we changed it to Iron Man.

B4 college, before every home meet I went to bed, turned out the lights, and listened to "Rhapsody in Blue". I always went into a state, that retroactively I recognize as transcendental meditation. It was cool. Couldn't do that away from home. No smart phones. Not even a Walkman.

In college, after I got married, I think my wife was always a bit jealous about wrestling. After weigh-ins, I'd scooter back to my apartment to relax, and my wife never let me. I'd stagger back to the fieldhouse and have to wrestle.

B4 college, before every home meet I went to bed, turned out the lights, and listened to "Rhapsody in Blue". I always went into a state, that retroactively I recognize as transcendental meditation. It was cool. Couldn't do that away from home. No smart phones. Not even a Walkman.

In college, after I got married, I think my wife was always a bit jealous about wrestling. After weigh-ins, I'd scooter back to my apartment to relax, and my wife never let me. I'd stagger back to the fieldhouse and have to wrestle.
Always liked Rhapsody in Blue, but picture you listening to this.

I remember a SI story about him. Didn’t he break his leg badly and that doomed his track career?

From Delco around the same time, I remember the great Leroy Burrell who single handedly won the state track title for Penn Wood by winning 4 events during my senior year of HS.
Penn Wood had a better and deeper team in Burrell's junior year than his snr year, when he won states by himself (100/200/LJ/TJ, I think). His junior year, Mark Fowler won the 800 with a PIAA record of 1:50 and change. Also had two brothers or twins that were pretty good - Thomas was their last name I think (david/pat maybe). Problem was his jnr year, Leroy ran the 400 at Districts and States and not the short sprints/jumps. 400 was not his best race; he was good, but not great. He dusted me in the 100 his sophomore year at their 1/5th of a mile dirt track. Still remember looking up after the gun went off and seeing his butt and watching him fade away in the distance. He could fly. He's the head coach at Houston with Carl Lewis as Asst Coach.

The other talent a bit later was William Reed from Central in Philly. He was world class in high school.

I remember a SI story about him. Didn’t he break his leg badly and that doomed his track career?

From Delco around the same time, I remember the great Leroy Burrell who single handedly won the state track title for Penn Wood by winning 4 events during my senior year of HS.
Leroy Burrell was part of a USA 4x100 meter relay team that set the World Record and all 4 were from the greater Philly area, including Carl Lewis from NJ.

Reactions: goldenanimal
So, this December when the high school season starts, is Bo in 9th grade then? If so what high school is he going to wrestle for?

ADVERTISEMENT