ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett

I'm interested in some non-McScorely opinions on this bit: "that was more related to what Spencer wanted out of his post competing career and how he wanted Terry's coaching"

I don't think I believe this.

But there's a massive paradox unfolding publicly these days about the role of Folkstyle+College vs Freestyle+International.

I think it's the preeminent discussion in our sport this year. We've got guys like Yanni and Sam Herring now more publicly lamenting the burden they feel to return to Folkstyle, our HS & College rules, after competing at Worlds or Fargo, with their International Freestyle rulesets.

But these young American wrestlers aren't moving to Iran, right? All the Freestyle-First Fans in our country are still stuck with this unsatisfying (to them) reality: we've still got the fans. College Dual attendances still crush even the biggest American Freestyle events. It's been a fascinating summer for me, a Folkstyle fan getting better at appreciating Freestyle, but still being emotionally a baby when I see all my Freestyle fans still using a great Freestyle season (Olympics AND World Championships--and American trials in each!) to poo upon Folk and talk so openly about changing how we raise our children in the sport. "If only we could get these same kids wrestling Free, then all the laundry-fans would just go along with it..."

Anyway, to tie it back to the point, I think Spencer Lee chose Iowa because resurrecting it to defeat the Juggernaut Nittany Lions. Not because of Terry Brands' coaching.

What do you all think?
I think there's room for both of you to be right. Only Spencer knows for sure, but from all of his public statements and interviews over the years, I'd say at that point it was a little bit of both.

At the time Spencer committed I think there was a bit of a narrative that you wanted to be there or maybe with Zeke and that Terry B was who you wanted in your corner if you had Olympic type aspirations. Cael and company hadn't really demonstrated the success in terms of world teams and medals.

But at this point, we are in living a completely different universe. I dont care what weight you are. Anyone clinging to a notion that the mecca of USA wrestling is any where other than State College is either Grip220 or possibly Cropduster (master of all things greco). And that's not changing as long as Cael and Co are hanging out their shingle.

I think Spencer believed training in the Iowa room with the Brands boys, Dan Dennis, Cory Clark, Tony Ramos, Will McDonough, Thomas Gilham and whoever else was a better setting for his desired development than the PSU room and training partners.
2 outta 7 aint bad, might be better if they werent 45 years old but he always has DeCantgo to train with.

The free vs folk heats up every olympic yr, much more this cycle. Same argument can be made for soccer/rugby take away football have all those kids do those sports instead. They would lose fan support

I'm interested in some non-McScorely opinions on this bit: "that was more related to what Spencer wanted out of his post competing career and how he wanted Terry's coaching"

I don't think I believe this.

But there's a massive paradox unfolding publicly these days about the role of Folkstyle+College vs Freestyle+International.

I think it's the preeminent discussion in our sport this year. We've got guys like Yanni and Sam Herring now more publicly lamenting the burden they feel to return to Folkstyle, our HS & College rules, after competing at Worlds or Fargo, with their International Freestyle rulesets.

But these young American wrestlers aren't moving to Iran, right? All the Freestyle-First Fans in our country are still stuck with this unsatisfying (to them) reality: we've still got the fans. College Dual attendances still crush even the biggest American Freestyle events. It's been a fascinating summer for me, a Folkstyle fan getting better at appreciating Freestyle, but still being emotionally a baby when I see all my Freestyle fans still using a great Freestyle season (Olympics AND World Championships--and American trials in each!) to poo upon Folk and talk so openly about changing how we raise our children in the sport. "If only we could get these same kids wrestling Free, then all the laundry-fans would just go along with it..."

Anyway, to tie it back to the point, I think Spencer Lee chose Iowa because resurrecting it to defeat the Juggernaut Nittany Lions. Not because of Terry Brands' coaching.

What do you all think?
Perhaps there was some Iowa Savior angle but most likely it was minor. Lee has always been focused on the Olympics, and committed after attending World Team Trials in Iowa City, watching 2 Hawks in the finals of his weight while sitting with McDonough.

Regarding the fan attendance angle of free vs folk: if PIAA switched to free tomorrow, it wouldn't change attendance one bit. People would grumble but still support their local teams and athletes.

Same for the college powers -- Rec Hall tickets aren't suddenly becoming available if NCAA goes free.

The uncertainty would be attendance for smaller college programs, and at various events (states, B10s, NCAAs).

Reactions: crablegs1
I think Spencer believed training in the Iowa room with the Brands boys, Dan Dennis, Cory Clark, Tony Ramos, Will McDonough, Thomas Gilham and whoever else was a better setting for his desired development than the PSU room and training partners.
It’s okay to mangle Hawkeye names as a sign of disrespect. But Gilman is off limits, now! He has retroactive immunity. :)

Perhaps there was some Iowa Savior angle but most likely it was minor. Lee has always been focused on the Olympics, and committed after attending World Team Trials in Iowa City, watching 2 Hawks in the finals of his weight while sitting with McDonough.

Regarding the fan attendance angle of free vs folk: if PIAA switched to free tomorrow, it wouldn't change attendance one bit. People would grumble but still support their local teams and athletes.

Same for the college powers -- Rec Hall tickets aren't suddenly becoming available if NCAA goes free.

The uncertainty would be attendance for smaller college programs, and at various events (states, B10s, NCAAs).
Nailed it. Laughable to think college wrestling attendance has anything to do with the style. All about the “college”.

Reactions: vhsalum and hlstone
The whole "Jody wants his guys going to Iowa" thing is tongue-in-cheek, right? Like that's a running gag?

Never met the dude. Respect the hell out of him from afar... Ain't no club coach of his caliber and (assumed) great character actually trying to steer athletes.

Reactions: hlstone
Your kidding yourself if you think wrestling wouldn’t lose fans. You believe the only fans of wrestling attend live events all the time. I’ve been going to the state tournament for 33yrs and if it went to free i would not go and I’m not the only one. The few times i watch a college match in person would be zero and no b10+ along with it lol.

The whole "Jody wants his guys going to Iowa" thing is tongue-in-cheek, right? Like that's a running gag?

Never met the dude. Respect the hell out of him from afar... Ain't no club coach of his caliber and (assumed) great character actually trying to steer athletes.

All club coaches I have interacted with over the years want to have their kids go to the university that fits the student/athlete. The club coach fields inquires up to the kids Jr. year. Then the college coaches reach out to the kids directly.

For my kid, the college coaches reached out to her club coach asking about character and grades. The the club coach told her what schools were interested so she could email them with her upcoming schedule, highlight video, and express mutual interest.

If a club coach in our area was trying to steer kids to their Alma mater, that club wouldn't last long.

Has there been many Youngguns wrestlers who came to PSU. I remember a few. Isn’t Nolf, cenzo, Matt M, nico, jimmy G and Zain all from Strittmatter? If so I think they sent us more talent than they sent Iowa anyway.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Spencer when he committed listed his top ten reasons on flo why he chose Iowa and number one was Terry Brands. I thought it was kind of funny since Tom Brands, the head coach of the team he was committing to, was number two lol.
Just shows that for the elite guys the club coach is just as, if not more, important to their college decision than the school’s HC.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Dont know timeline but I’d wager Larry had already accepted the Coe job before this.

Reactions: mjmirv
Spencer when he committed listed his top ten reasons on flo why he chose Iowa and number one was Terry Brands. I thought it was kind of funny since Tom Brands, the head coach of the team he was committing to, was number two lol.
Just shows that for the elite guys the club coach is just as, if not more, important to their college decision than the school’s HC.

He said all along that he much preferred freestyle over folk and Iowa, at that time, was the top lower weight freestyle location. Its no surprise he listed Terry over Tom.

I've mentioned before, I don't want to say PSU outright "didn't want" Young, Kemerer, Murin. They're all great kids, all would have a spot in our lineup somewhere if they wanted at some point (even if only for a year or two) If they obviously wanted in, they'd be welcomed with open arms. Props to Iowa for pushing the PA -> Iowa narrative also, nobody is going to look into how deep any of those guys were recruited. For football, I'm sure we'll push the Ohio -> PA narrative with Allar and Saunders lol.

As for Spencer, the fact PSU stayed in for so long shows how strong our wrestling brand + distance mattered. It's pretty apparent PSU was never what he really wanted. Beyond Iowa's freestyle success when he committed at his weights, I'm pretty sure he saw an opportunity to basically be the "King of Iowa" and thus have a direct path to the coaching job there (which is what he wants to do after wrestling) and then into athletic administration after (which is what he wants to do in his later life) Having a strong brand definitely will help there.

Reactions: nitlion6

Often times too the assistants do the heavy recruiting and develop the closest relationships with them while they are recruits. You can see it recently in why Carter Young left Northwestern after the Kennedy/Howe situation.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Might be some trouble at McCort. They're looking into recruiting a wrestler. Or maybe sour grapes by Forest Hills?

I would say Sour grapes! Could you imagine all summer long FH seeing about McCort’s basset winning world’s. He was on the radio as McCort’s Bo Basset. That has to make Forrest hills mad.

it’s really sad, just let these kids alone

I would say Sour grapes! Could you imagine all summer long FH seeing about McCort’s basset winning world’s. He was on the radio as McCort’s Bo Basset. That has to make Forrest hills mad. …
So Forest Hills really liked something, and then when they could not have that thing they said that thing is sour? 🧐

Reactions: BrockBronson
I would say Sour grapes! Could you imagine all summer long FH seeing about McCort’s basset winning world’s. He was on the radio as McCort’s Bo Basset. That has to make Forrest hills mad.

it’s really sad, just let these kids alone
McCort could prevent all such controversy by going National Preps. Where they belong.

I sympathize with Erik Gibson. Mason Gibson and the Bassett a little less -- this will just drive them to Seminary or Blair.

Mineo needs to take down that smear of Strayer -- the "racist coach" with a black brother in law. That's a garbage take that should be beneath him, except it's not.
I don't see that tweet from Mineo but I'm not very savvy on twitter. I do see the ones he retweeted though, including the one from Bo accusing coach Strayer of racism. I do agree, Mineo should stay out of it if he wasnt there to witness what happened.

I don't see that tweet from Mineo but I'm not very savvy on twitter. I do see the ones he retweeted though, including the one from Bo accusing coach Strayer of racism. I do agree, Mineo should stay out of it if he wasnt there to witness what happened.
The image above is from Mineo's twitter or Facebook. I suspect it's his Facebook. In any case, Mineo can delete that person's post.

Also, I highly doubt Bo Bassett posts much if at all. Strongly suspect the "brothers" account is run by his father. Who is not exactly an impartial observer.

Reactions: CurtisLoew40
What’s the background to all this?
Long story short, there was a blow up last year at Forrest Hills where one of the Gibsons went to coach Strayer about a racist comment from one of the other boys. The Bassetts and Gibsons claim nothing was done about it so all 4 transferred out to McCort. A few other kids transferred out as well. Then a complaint was later filed by I assume Forrest Hills that the transfers were in violation of PIAA and District 6 rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
Long story short, there was a blow up last year at Forrest Hills where one of the Gibsons went to coach Strayer about a racist comment from one of the other boys. The Bassetts and Gibsons claim nothing was done about it so all 4 transferred out to McCort. A few other kids transferred out as well. Then a complaint was later filed by I assume Forrest Hills that the transfers were in violation of PIAA and District 6 rules.
Adults involved in kids' athletics and their brittle, tender feelings taking precedent over the concept of "what's best for the kid athletes".

Adults involved in kids' athletics and their brittle, tender feelings taking precedent over the concept of "what's best for the kid athletes".
Sickening. I laugh that its Forrest Hills complaining about this. Back when my son played football at a school that borders Forrest Hills, he was approached one night by someone involved in their football program. He was bussing tables for extra cash on weekends and the customer recognized him and asked him if he'd be interested in playing for FH instead. Lol. And if anyone from FH is reading this, I don't wanna hear it because you know it went on there. In fact, one of my sons friends that played on his team went over to FH to play. They just changed his address to his grandmas address which was inside FH line. Still lived at his parents though..

Sickening. I laugh that its Forrest Hills complaining about this. Back when my son played football at a school that borders Forrest Hills, he was approached one night by someone involved in their football program. He was bussing tables for extra cash on weekends and the customer recognized him and asked him if he'd be interested in playing for FH instead. Lol. And if anyone from FH is reading this, I don't wanna hear it because you know it went on there. In fact, one of my sons friends that played on his team went over to FH to play. They just changed his address to his grandmas address which was inside FH line. Still lived at his parents though..
Like listening to Northampton and Easton folks whining about BECA.

So the PIAA ruled that all of those kids transferring out of Forest Hills at the exact same time for the exact same stated reason did it for "Athletic Advancement" and not because of the complaints about the coach and culture? Yeah......that sounds about right for the PIAA. The only other decision would simply verify they transferred out "For Cause" and strongly aid any future legal complaints. Must have been a large rug and very large broom :(

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT