ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett

That was very impressive. Mendoza is very very good and Bo put it on him. Snap, short offense, butt drag, repeat…about 8 or 9 times. Same thing he did at cadet worlds. No one can stop his snaps and go behinds.

TJ Stewart is a beast as well. PSU is on his school list. Would be a great get. Wrestling at 182 today and knocked off the number 1 kid 7-4 who had beaten him twice before. Go watch Stewart’s 3rd takedown if you get the chance. Huge double keg that he elevates and plants Wehmeyer hard. Beautiful. Would love to see him at PSU!

Last edited:
Reactions: johnstownsteel
That was very impressive. Mendoza is very very good and Bo put it on him. Snap, short offense, butt drag, repeat…about 8 or 9 times. Same thing he did at cadet worlds. No one can stop his snaps and go behinds.
Believe Mendoza beat Bo a couple times in the past. No doubt Bo is now on another level.

Braeden Davis beats Leo DeLuca 15-7. I came away from this match a huge DeLuca fan though. He is only an incoming freshman at Blair. Super quick and good on his feet. Davis was just a bit too much but DeLuca is one to keep an eye on

Anthony Knox is scary good! He just beat Lilledahl who was cadet world silver medalist by major. Knox is a 9th grader I believe. Kids are getting so good so young! This next crop of kids including Bassett, DeLuca, Knox, and Mendoza is going to be fun to watch

Caleb Henson 5-4 over Jordan Williams. Williams almost had his shoulder blown out because the ref was super slow to stop a position. Really lucky it wasn’t a bad bad injury.

Fishback beats Nelson 6-1 but the ref gave it away. Tied 1-1 with 10 seconds left and the ref called stalling on Nelson for some reason to give Fishback a 2-1 lead. He then tried going feet to back and gave up a 2 and 2. No idea why the ref would call a stall in that position though. They were hand fighting in the center with time running down. Really strange call. I will say that Fishback looked better to me. He was close on quite a few attempts but Nelson showed great D

Reactions: danoftw
This kid is a prime example of a guy who needs to reclassify after his jr year and graduate early. Happens all the time in basketball. Kid gets held back for sports but ends up being just as good as the class ahead of him so they come out a year early. He’ll be 18 and I can’t imagine by then anyone is even making him break a sweat.
I’m interested in what his future weight will be. Hoping for 65kg lol

Who won the big man showdown at wno?

J
This kid is a prime example of a guy who needs to reclassify after his jr year and graduate early. Happens all the time in basketball. Kid gets held back for sports but ends up being just as good as the class ahead of him so they come out a year early. He’ll be 18 and I can’t imagine by then anyone is even making him break a sweat.
I’m interested in what his future weight will be. Hoping for 65kg lol

Who won the big man showdown at wno?
Hasnt happened yet. Should be coming up in 2 matches

Jesuroga beats Joey Cruz 5-1. Good match with quite a bit of action.
Edit. 6-1. Johnstownsteel had it correct

Arnold beats Welsh 2-1 in double OT!! Really great match. Both kids had chances but the defense was incredible. Arnold was in full splits going out of bounds to defend a shot. Arnold rode Welsh out on his turn on top and he escaped on his turn on bottom

Arnold beats Welsh 2-1 in double OT!! Really great match. Both kids had chances but the defense was incredible. Arnold was in full splits going out of bounds to defend a shot. Arnold rode Welsh out on his turn on top and he escaped on his turn on bottom
What a great watch. These kids tonight are going after it. Flo has a good thing going with this Who's number 1 every year. Was curious, was this something Willie put together when he was at Flo? If so, hate he had to walk away from it..

What a great watch. These kids tonight are going after it. Flo has a good thing going with this Who's number 1 every year. Was curious, was this something Willie put together when he was at Flo? If so, hate he had to walk away from it..
To ask that question is to answer it.

Those were some extremely athletic big men! I didn’t realize how good Carroll is. Feldman won 3-2 but Carroll almost scored twice in the last 5 seconds to win. Went huge with a lateral drop but they were out of bounds and then low single at the whistle but couldn’t get his head out in time. Great finale

Really fun night of wrestling!! So many good kids but I think OW has to be Anthony Knox. Lilledahl jus won a world silver and he got destroyed but Knox. Really impressive especially for a freshman. I’m sure most will give OW to Swiderski which I have no problem with. He won what was probably the match of the night against the pfp number 1 so he probably deserves to be OW. I just didn’t know Knox was THAT good.

A bonus match of Bassett vs Knox would be sweet. Lol
Who do have in that match?

I pick Knox after tonight but I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if Bo beat him. I really hope they meet up. Would be such a fun high paced match

Thoughts on Caleb Henson's dangerous move vs Jordan Williams at about the 7:20 mark in the 152 lb match? It looked like he was going to break Williams' arm and I was surprised Henson didn't draw a penalty or even a warning. But maybe it looked worse than it was since Williams was eventually able to continue and didn't appear to be favoring that arm afterward.

Just watched the matches from last night. Wow is Basset’s handfighting & scrambling skills are good. That Knox is solid too. Basset said he will be going for Knox at Super 32 HS. So we will really get to see who is the best 106 in the land. You have to respect a kid who goes after it and constantly putting it on the line.

Levi looked great and can’t wait to see him in Happy Valley. The Mendez loss was surprising.

Reactions: kevin310
Thoughts on Caleb Henson's dangerous move vs Jordan Williams at about the 7:20 mark in the 152 lb match? It looked like he was going to break Williams' arm and I was surprised Henson didn't draw a penalty or even a warning. But maybe it looked worse than it was since Williams was eventually able to continue and didn't appear to be favoring that arm afterward.
I put it more on the ref than Henson. It’s a legal move when he started it but as they went to the ground the lock came away from the body. At that point the ref has to stop it for potentially dangerous but he is on the wrong side and let it go forever. I can’t believe Williams didn’t get his shoulder blown out. Really scary position

I just watched this. Why didn’t Williams corner challenge that or complain. That was definitely illegal

I put it more on the ref than Henson. It’s a legal move when he started it but as they went to the ground the lock came away from the body. At that point the ref has to stop it for potentially dangerous but he is on the wrong side and let it go forever. I can’t believe Williams didn’t get his shoulder blown out. Really scary position
No way.
Yes, the ref should have definitely stopped it sooner, but Henson was the one doing the move. He knows it’s illegal and very dangerous and just kept cranking away. As dirty as anything I can remember in the last 5-10 years.

No way.
Yes, the ref should have definitely stopped it sooner, but Henson was the one doing the move. He knows it’s illegal and very dangerous and just kept cranking away. As dirty as anything I can remember in the last 5-10 years.
Also, this move never started legal. Watch the second replay. That is the only angle where you can see the arm when he first hits the throw. He took it outside the body from the get go. Should have been DQd.

From all that I can recall...Who's Number one? was Willie's baby. He built the relationships with the kids......made the calls that made the matches.....negotiated the weights on occasion and then did all the post-match interviews. It is a great venue. Glad to see they added a women's card

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Also, this move never started legal. Watch the second replay. That is the only angle where you can see the arm when he first hits the throw. He took it outside the body from the get go. Should have been DQd.
Even the "legal" version of this move should be banned as it almost always ends up illegal by the time they hit the ground. It's stupid and dangerous.

I had the same impression, which is why I posed the question. It looked pretty egregious to me. I don't want to assume bad intent by Henson, but it's hard to imagine a non-dangerous version of that move and that he wouldn't have known that. Hope I'm wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT