ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett

So the PIAA ruled that all of those kids transferring out of Forest Hills at the exact same time for the exact same stated reason did it for "Athletic Advancement" and not because of the complaints about the coach and culture? Yeah......that sounds about right for the PIAA. The only other decision would simply verify they transferred out "For Cause" and strongly aid any future legal complaints. Must have been a large rug and very large broom :(
What kind of athletic advancement they going to get by going to McCort anyway? The original 4 were already on every college coaches radar before they ever stepped foot inside of McCort. Young guns, M2 and the Compound is what advances them not what uniform they are going to put on when they wrestle in HS. The 4 are PA kids...born and bread in district 6, they should be allowed to become PIAA state champs.

Reactions: nitlion6
Adults involved in kids' athletics and their brittle, tender feelings taking precedent over the concept of "what's best for the kid athletes".
I don’t know the situation very well, but the Millers’ quotes rub me the wrong way. Making a mountain out of a mole hill with respect to the who-asked-who drama over giving a wrestler a rest from a scheduled workout. Chill pills would have come in handy.

The McCort A.D. played football for them back in late 80s. He was like 140 lbs soaking wet and was first team all state nose tackle . Yes...you read that right... NOSE TACKLE. I remember thinking to myself back then that it was too bad McCort didnt have a wrestling team because he'd probably be on the mats as he was on the field... straight up nasty. Lol

I don’t know the situation very well, but the Millers’ quotes rub me the wrong way. Making a mountain out of a mole hill with respect to the who-asked-who drama over giving a wrestler a rest from a scheduled workout. Chill pills would have come in handy.
The McCort A.D. played football for them back in late 80s. He was like 140 lbs soaking wet and was first team all state nose tackle . Yes...you read that right... NOSE TACKLE. I remember thinking to myself back then that it was too bad McCort didnt have a wrestling team because he'd probably be on the mats as he was on the field... straight up nasty. Lol
Smith is thier principal not AD. He was tough and I had the same thoughts about him and wrestling. DeMarco would be last on a wrestling mat. LOL

Smith is thier principal not AD. He was tough and I had the same thoughts about him and wrestling. DeMarco would be last on a wrestling mat. LOL
yeah I meant principle. DeMarco? Is he from the DeMarco clan from Windber perhaps? If so, I’d image he would be lost considering they just wanted to forget about wrestling in those parts after a wrestler became paralyzed in a match and they dropped the program.

Edit. Yeah. Ralph is Phil’s Brother. Played against Windber when Phil coached there. Was a great coach. I think he got In some trouble over a player recording him screaming at the players at halftime during a game and parents got pissy about it si he resigned. Memory slipping so maybe I have that wrong.

Last edited:
yeah I meant principle. DeMarco? Is he from the DeMarco clan from Windber perhaps? If so I’d image he would be lost considering they just wanted to forget about wrestling in those parts after they dropped it from their school after someone was paralysed back in 50s or 60s.
Yes, from Windber. The only time they tolerated wrestling was when they could make a boatload of money from the concessions at the D5 tournament.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
What kind of athletic advancement they going to get by going to McCort anyway? The original 4 were already on every college coaches radar before they ever stepped foot inside of McCort. Young guns, M2 and the Compound is what advances them not what uniform they are going to put on when they wrestle in HS. The 4 are PA kids...born and bread in district 6, they should be allowed to become PIAA state champs.
I agree with you completely. In the PIAA you can't change schools for strictly athletic reasons and the PIAA ruled all those wrestlers transferred for athletic reasons.....not personal reasons. I called it Athletic advancement.....not sure what official name PIAA gives it but they basically denied that the coaches actions and program culture were the reasons they transferred. Yeah....right

Yes, from Windber. The only time they tolerated wrestling was when they could make a boatload of money from the concessions at the D5 tournament.
Lol. Yeah… never understood it. Took a hard stance against wrestling but had the D5 tourney there every year. I went to school with Joe Kimmel who I think was D5 wrestling chairman for awhile… maybe still is. He’s at Windber now as superintendent. Was hoping he’d bring it back at Windber but I’m not even sure if the kids there would be interested.

yeah I meant principle. DeMarco? Is he from the DeMarco clan from Windber perhaps? If so I’d image he would be lost considering they just wanted to forget about wrestling in those parts after they dropped it from their school after someone was paralysed back in 50s or 60s.
They didn't drop wrestling while I was there. They never had it in all the years I was there (1966/67-72) The young man that got paralyzed was the brother of my classmate. His accident (1969 I believe) occurred in gym class......when a gym teacher started introducing wrestling and used tumbling mats. In the accident.....they didn't tie them together and a tragedy occurred. Very Sad

Plenty, if McCort goes national preps like all recruiting schools should.

They didn't drop wrestling while I was there. They never had it in all the years I was there. The young man that got paralyzed was the brother of my classmate. His accident (1969 I believe) occurred in gym class......when a gym teacher started introducing wrestling and used tumbling mats. In the accident.....they didn't tie them together and a tragedy occurred. Very Sad
Ok. See how the stories change throughout the years? Lol. Was always told they had a wrestling program and it was dropped because of the accident. It was way before my time but almost everyone I know that’s around my age thinks they had wrestling and dropped it because of that accident.

Reactions: bwfight
Yeah.. I guess your right in a sense… better competition at National Preps. Guess the only question is, if they were looking for “athletic advancement”, why transfer to a school that wrestles in the PIAA where the competition isn’t as strong?

Can they do this just for wrestling or does it have to be all sports?
Pretty sure they can. Doesn’t Sem participate in the PIAA in other sports?

Edit. Yeah they can. Now that I think about it, my nephews girlfriend won Piaa state championship on the swim team at Sem last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Lol. Yeah… never understood it. Took a hard stance against wrestling but had the D5 tourney there every year. I went to school with Joe Kimmel who I think was D5 wrestling chairman for awhile… maybe still is. He’s at Windber now as superintendent. Was hoping he’d bring it back at Windber but I’m not even sure if the kids there would be interested.
Windber co-ops with CT in wrestling now

Yeah.. I guess your right in a sense… better competition at National Preps. Guess the only question is, if they were looking for “athletic advancement”, why transfer to a school that wrestles in the PIAA where the competition isn’t as strong?
Just a guess, no inside knowledge: they all wanted to stick together but the prep schools didn't want all of them?

That's happened before. One of the prep powers (I think it was Seminary but might have been Blair, been a while) tried to poach Mifflinburg state champ Cole Walter. His parents said only if you take both brothers. The prep school wouldn't, so Cole stayed home.

Ok. See how the stories change throughout the years? Lol. Was always told they had a wrestling program and it was dropped because of the accident. It was way before my time but almost everyone I know that’s around my age thinks they had wrestling and dropped it because of that accident.
Windber did have a wrestling program in the early years of District 5 wrestling. I know several oldtimers that I would not want to be on the mat with and I’m 30 years younger. Those coal miners were tough SOBs.

I heard different stories about the wrestling injury.

Windber did co-op with Shade for a number of years. Shade’s district champion was a Windber student. Shade no longer has a wrestling team.

Windber co-ops with CT in wrestling now
Yeah… for awhile there I think Windber kids went to Shade to wrestle. There was a Windber boy that won D5 championship for shade if memory serves. First time ever. They made big deal about it at the tourney. Think he was given OW. Shade dropped their program I think so Shade and Windber kids go to Township to wrestle. Does that sound right?

Pretty sure they can. Doesn’t Sem participate in the PIAA in other sports?

Edit. Yeah they can. Now that I think about it, my nephews girlfriend won Piaa state championship on the swim team at Sem last year.
Yes, BM can be PIAA and Preps in different sports.

Yeah… for awhile there I think Windber kids went to Shade to wrestle. There was a Windber boy that won D5 championship for shade if memory serves. First time ever. They made big deal about it at the tourney. Think he was given OW. Shade dropped their program I think so Shade and Windber kids go to Township to wrestle. Does that sound right?
Yes

Windber did have a wrestling program in the early years of District 5 wrestling. I know several oldtimers that I would not want to be on the mat with and I’m 30 years younger. Those coal miners were tough SOBs.

Windber did co-op with Shade for a number of years. Shade’s district champion was a Windber student. Shade no longer has a wrestling team.
Lol. We were responding to his post at same time. Yeah those coal miners were tough alright. From the stories I heard, back in 30s and 40s Windber was considered to have one of the best hs football programs in the entire country. I think one year they were play against a team from Florida who was also considered one of the best but couldn’t raise the money to go. Again stories change so may not be accurate.

Reactions: PopSheetz
Can’t confirm that, I don’t think Shade currently has any HS wrestlers but the opportunity might exist there for any kid that wants to try it. Either way the co-op isn’t producing numbers, CT only had about 5 wrestlers last year. Unthinkable 20 years ago.

Nick Roberts I believe was at Shade then moved to North Star. Old hs teammate and friend coached Nick during his state championships.

Reactions: PopSheetz
Can’t confirm that, I don’t think Shade currently has any HS wrestlers but the opportunity might exist there for any kid that wants to try it. Either way the co-op isn’t producing numbers, CT only had about 5 wrestlers last year. Unthinkable 20 years ago.
30 years ago they were a state power

Kids have been doing this for yrs in the catholic schools, the catholic schools should should have been in with the prep school system for a long time.

Reactions: Ski
Kids have been doing this for yrs in the catholic schools, the catholic schools should should have been in with the prep school system for a long time.
I don't have much of an opinion on it but feel bad for kids like the Masons and Bartletts. They are PA kids born and raised, in my opinion they should be able to wrestle for a state title. I don't feel the team should be able to be eligible for team title but individually the kids should be able to. But there really is no sensible way to accomplish that is there? Funny, The Bartletts have a Windber address, their home is closest to Richland schools, Windber HS is probably closer to the their home than Forrest Hills HS as well yet they live in the FH school district. And now here we are discussing their reasons for going to Bishop McCort which is only about 15-20 minute drive from their home as well.

Reactions: Antaeus
So the PIAA ruled that all of those kids transferring out of Forest Hills at the exact same time for the exact same stated reason did it for "Athletic Advancement" and not because of the complaints about the coach and culture? Yeah......that sounds about right for the PIAA. The only other decision would simply verify they transferred out "For Cause" and strongly aid any future legal complaints. Must have been a large rug and very large broom :(
I don't think the PIAA ruled anything...yet.
It was the district (District 6) that made this ruling.
No doubt an appeal will be filed with the PIAA.

Reactions: Fatmarc and hlstone
I don't think the PIAA ruled anything...yet.
It was the district (District 6) that made this ruling.
No doubt an appeal will be filed with the PIAA.
Correct.

A couple more points:
1. McCort is a repeat offender under multiple coaches within the past 5 yrs. D6 likely viewed this as an institutional issue.
2. D6 likely views Bassett's hiring as a means of facilitating mass transfers, again an institutional issue.

Correct.

A couple more points:
1. McCort is a repeat offender under multiple coaches within the past 5 yrs. D6 likely viewed this as an institutional issue.
2. D6 likely views Bassett's hiring as a means of facilitating mass transfers, again an institutional issue.

Wasnt Bill voted or at least considered by many to be the best jr high coach in the state? If so, i dont know how they can assume he was hired to facilitate transfers and just throw out the idea that they wanted to hire a coach with his type of credentials.

Reactions: goldenanimal
What did they expect when they turned into a wrestling club / IMG academy posing as a PIAA school? PA has a lot of small town and community pride and even though there is only so much you can do to address transfers enough is enough for a lot of people. There are already enough public schools with more than enough move ins that small schools can’t complete with year in and year out.

Reactions: d-1980
Correct.

A couple more points:

Apparently, about 80 kids transferred at the same time; ten of them were wrestlers. Something about FH not having in-person school, and McCort doing in-person.

Reactions: goldenanimal
What did they expect when they turned into a wrestling club / IMG academy posing as a PIAA school? PA has a lot of small town and community pride and even though there is only so much you can do to address transfers enough is enough for a lot of people. There are already enough public schools with more than enough move ins that small schools can’t complete with year in and year out.
I dont think those out of state kids moved in to wrestle for McCort. I think they moved to the area to be close to young guns, m2, the compound, train with a cadet world champion, visit and train under an Olympic Champion, and wrestle against Pennsylvania competition. I think McCort was most sensible decision because they werent restricted or handcuffed into having to live in certain boundaries and Bill Bassett was the new coach there so it made it a no brainer. Hell, I'm almost thinking had there not been any bad blood at Forrest Hills, it's quite possible we would be talking about FH being sanctioned today instead of McCort. Guess what I'm saying, which school they would be wrestling for wasn't their motivation for coming here.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there were a few other kids that transferred into McCort (from other states I believe) after the Bassett's and and Gibson's. Sam Herring is from Tennessee and Jax Forrest from North Carolina.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there were a few other kids that transferred into McCort (from other states I believe) after the Bassett's and and Gibson's. Sam Herring is from Tennessee and Jax Forrest from North Carolina.
Yes that’s correct. And if I were to guess, it’s those kids that the district believes McCort recruited in.

Last edited:
Correct.

A couple more points:

Does this mean "Duh" as in he agrees with the ruling?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT