ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett

Bassett vs. Harer -- total mismatch but don't be surprised if, in a few years, Harer becomes good enough to make this even more impressive.

Haines is also on the card, vs. Lillard (Indiana commit, great story, overcoming epilepsy).

Someone said that Basset/Harer match has over 10 state titles between the two. Is this true. That should be a fun matchup if so.
Lillard vs Haines looks good on paper but Levi should smoke him. Perry vs Bradley will be a great match.

These people have no idea. Basset and Iowa doesn’t make sense

Jimmy Cinnabon - the starter of that thread - is the mightiest troll East o’ the Pecos
He still owes a donation to the NLWC to pay off a losing bet he made with yours truly 2 years ago.
giphy.gif

Met Bo & family recently and was really impressed. We had a nice conversation. For an 8th grader he has his priorities in order, same with his 6th grade brother. Long way to go, but he's already thinking college & recruiting, in a very thoughtful, pragmatic way. Right now, he's enjoying high school, with focus on academics, knowing that his choices are greater with solid grades. Improving at both folk and free is also clearly on his mind. He's hanging with great role models too :).

Long way to go here but his connection to Iowa is Spencer Lee is his hero and Young Guns is his club. The Iowa gets every Young Guns narrative has been proven false. Jody wants his guys at Iowa obviously. Despite that, Spencer was the only one they beat us straight up for (and don't get me wrong, that was huge) and that was more related to what Spencer wanted out of his post competing career and how he wanted Terry's coaching, not because Jody somehow was able to hypnotize him.

His connection is PSU is he's from Pennsylvania, he's 1.5 hours from campus and he already trains here regularly. I think that's much stronger than the Iowa one. Someone here previously brought up a good point, his family will be in PA when he's wrestling in college (his dad has a very popular youth gym and his younger brother will still be at McCort) and the family is pretty tight knit. Tbh, I've never seen anything a situation like Bo before (a kid training at PSU regularly at all, let alone in middle school) and Cael has already opened the room to him for a reason. He also stops by M2 quite a bit from what I hear. He's just a kid that wants to get better bottom line.

Met Bo & family recently and was really impressed. We had a nice conversation. For an 8th grader he has his priorities in order, same with his 6th grade brother. Long way to go, but he's already thinking college & recruiting, in a very thoughtful, pragmatic way. Right now, he's enjoying high school, with focus on academics, knowing that his choices are greater with solid grades. Improving at both folk and free is also clearly on his mind. He's hanging with great role models too :).

Yes, but did you close the sale?

Long way to go here but his connection to Iowa is Spencer Lee is his hero and Young Guns is his club. The Iowa gets every Young Guns narrative has been proven false. Jody wants his guys at Iowa obviously. Despite that, Spencer was the only one they beat us straight up for (and don't get me wrong, that was huge) and that was more related to what Spencer wanted out of his post competing career and how he wanted Terry's coaching, not because Jody somehow was able to hypnotize him.

His connection is PSU is he's from Pennsylvania, he's 1.5 hours from campus and he already trains here regularly. I think that's much stronger than the Iowa one. Someone here previously brought up a good point, his family will be in PA when he's wrestling in college (his dad has a very popular youth gym and his younger brother will still be at McCort) and the family is pretty tight knit. Tbh, I've never seen anything a situation like Bo before (a kid training at PSU regularly at all, let alone in middle school) and Cael has already opened the room to him for a reason. He also stops by M2 quite a bit from what I hear. He's just a kid that wants to get better bottom line.
Geography will always be the #1 factor when kids talk with their family about choosing a school. True, PSU has a very special draw with Cael & Co., and that's helped recruit kids nationally, much moreso than almost every other school, but location is more important because parents want to watch their sons wrestle.

When I mention geography, Maryland, Ohio, New Jersey and New York states are included as prime recruiting grounds, as it's a reasonable distance for parents to travel. That's solid wrestling territory, and a good start when looking at recruits.

I don’t know him personally but heard he is a great person and 4.0 student. I am shocked to hear he is at M2 and left Strittmatter.

I take it enjoying high school is a typo for an 8th grader... beating up the HS kids may not be :)

I'm interested in some non-McScorely opinions on this bit: "that was more related to what Spencer wanted out of his post competing career and how he wanted Terry's coaching"

I don't think I believe this.

But there's a massive paradox unfolding publicly these days about the role of Folkstyle+College vs Freestyle+International.

I think it's the preeminent discussion in our sport this year. We've got guys like Yanni and Sam Herring now more publicly lamenting the burden they feel to return to Folkstyle, our HS & College rules, after competing at Worlds or Fargo, with their International Freestyle rulesets.

But these young American wrestlers aren't moving to Iran, right? All the Freestyle-First Fans in our country are still stuck with this unsatisfying (to them) reality: we've still got the fans. College Dual attendances still crush even the biggest American Freestyle events. It's been a fascinating summer for me, a Folkstyle fan getting better at appreciating Freestyle, but still being emotionally a baby when I see all my Freestyle fans still using a great Freestyle season (Olympics AND World Championships--and American trials in each!) to poo upon Folk and talk so openly about changing how we raise our children in the sport. "If only we could get these same kids wrestling Free, then all the laundry-fans would just go along with it..."

Anyway, to tie it back to the point, I think Spencer Lee chose Iowa because resurrecting it to defeat the Juggernaut Nittany Lions. Not because of Terry Brands' coaching.

What do you all think?

Reactions: hlstone

Just a guess, but until we hear an announcement that Coe College has hired Bo's father to administer their soon to open "youth wrestling" bachelor's program it is safe to believe Bo is going to be a Lion.

I'm interested in some non-McScorely opinions on this bit: "that was more related to what Spencer wanted out of his post competing career and how he wanted Terry's coaching"

I don't think I believe this.

But there's a massive paradox unfolding publicly these days about the role of Folkstyle+College vs Freestyle+International.

I think it's the preeminent discussion in our sport this year. We've got guys like Yanni and Sam Herring now more publicly lamenting the burden they feel to return to Folkstyle, our HS & College rules, after competing at Worlds or Fargo, with their International Freestyle rulesets.

But these young American wrestlers aren't moving to Iran, right? All the Freestyle-First Fans in our country are still stuck with this unsatisfying (to them) reality: we've still got the fans. College Dual attendances still crush even the biggest American Freestyle events. It's been a fascinating summer for me, a Folkstyle fan getting better at appreciating Freestyle, but still being emotionally a baby when I see all my Freestyle fans still using a great Freestyle season (Olympics AND World Championships--and American trials in each!) to poo upon Folk and talk so openly about changing how we raise our children in the sport. "If only we could get these same kids wrestling Free, then all the laundry-fans would just go along with it..."

Anyway, to tie it back to the point, I think Spencer Lee chose Iowa because resurrecting it to defeat the Juggernaut Nittany Lions. Not because of Terry Brands' coaching.

What do you all think?
I think Spencer believed training in the Iowa room with the Brands boys, Dan Dennis, Cory Clark, Tony Ramos, Will McDonough, Thomas Gilham and whoever else was a better setting for his desired development than the PSU room and training partners.

ADVERTISEMENT