ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett

SORRY BUT BEING A PA STATE CHAMP IS BETTER THAN PREP CHAMP!!
tumblr_m3xlmnsL7H1qh0b3jo4_250.gifv

Does this mean "Duh" as in he agrees with the ruling?
I would definitely say yes. The District.......using PIAA guidelines determined that these transfers were for Athletic reasons and not Academic reasons. The change of coaches and wrestlers flocking to the "Coach of the year" as well as quality wrestlers transferring in to be involved in the club and what the Basset's have to offer was ruled to be "For Athletic reasons".....not Academic reasons. The school's position was that they had 88 students transfer in because of In-school learning and that 10 of them were wrestlers and the quality wrestling advantages were just a bonus. District 6 disagreed and it is likely that the PIAA will see it the same way. It sucks for the kids but that is where it stands now. Bassett can't coach this year....the kids can wrestle but not in the post-season for 3 years. Most severe penalty.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I would definitely say yes. The District.......using PIAA guidelines determined that these transfers were for Athletic reasons and not Academic reasons. The change of coaches and wrestlers flocking to the "Coach of the year" as well as quality wrestlers transferring in to be involved in the club and what the Basset's have to offer was ruled to be "For Athletic reasons".....not Academic reasons. The school's position was that they had 88 students transfer in because of In-school learning and that 10 of them were wrestlers and the quality wrestling advantages were just a bonus. District 6 disagreed and it is likely that the PIAA will see it the same way. It sucks for the kids but that is where it stands now. Bassett can't coach this year....the kids can wrestle but not in the post-season for 3 years. Most severe penalty.
is it definitely 3 years? I saw it said "20-36 months" but wasn't sure what that meant

Does anyone have a recap of Willie’s podcast?
In my opinion one of his bet yet. Talked about NIL and how it’s already become the Wild West. Dropped a doozy that PSU lost out on a couple recruits recently because they refuse to talk about NIL while other schools are more than willing to talk cash. Also talked about the McCort issues. Good stuff in there as well but his main point of it all is that the PIAA is a shit show that only hurts itself and National Preps is where it’s at.

In my opinion one of his bet yet. Talked about NIL and how it’s already become the Wild West. Dropped a doozy that PSU lost out on a couple recruits recently because they refuse to talk about NIL while other schools are more than willing to talk cash. Also talked about the McCort issues. Good stuff in there as well but his main point of it all is that the PIAA is a shit show that only hurts itself and National Preps is where it’s at.
Thanks!

Does this mean "Duh" as in he agrees with the ruling?
Unrelated. It means that the wrestling industry and especially McCort should have seen this coming. It was just 4 years ago (Nov 2017) that McCort fired their head coach and had a junior high coach barred for 1 year, for recruiting.

Whether or not one agrees with the rule or the ruling, it's pretty obvious that McCort flouted the same rule that they were recently punished for. What exactly did they think was going to happen the second time? Less than the first time?

Lol. I don’t Twitter enough. I didn’t know that.
Only so many ppl are in love with willy Saylor.

Only so many ppl are in love with willy Saylor.

Fake account = when you squat on someone else's name and misspell that name.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
PIAA isn’t going to go for Bassett saying the transfers had zero to do with wrestling and all for academics and emotional reasons. The PIAA doesn’t like being mocked. If that is their defense it will be a quick hearing.

Reactions: farmer79
Catholic schools recruit? Since when.
I know maybe I shouldn’t think this way but to me, wrestling (and other individual sports) is just a different animal than team sports like football and basketball. I’m an old school guy and like “tradition” but something needs to be done to keep our best kids wrestling in our district, regional and state tournaments. I know it’s probably an unpopular position to take but I wished the PIAA would crown their team champions by a dual meet tourney and then run the the individual tourney at the end of the year to crown individual champs and placers without attaching points or anything else to crown a team champ there as well.

If I had it my way, I’d have a AA, a AAA and a Privates schools dual meet tourney and that’s it… winners are your State Team Champs. I’d then end the season with the individual tourneys…only difference is there would only be a AA and AAA tourney. I’d put the private school kids in the tourney that reflects their schools enrollment. If that’s not good enough for most people then just rule that all private school kids must wrestle in the AAA tourney. Like I said, I really just want the states best in OUR yard… not National preps. I just don’t know the best way of doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339 and hlstone
Way to go District 6, push your best wrestlers out of the area. Let Sem and Blair academy enjoy them. And while you’re at it, when you announce your District 6 champs, add a wink wink while you’re doing it because we will all know they aren’t really the best kid from your area.
Just heard the Gibsons are heading to check out Sem. Not sure if it’s a reliable source. I thought he was out for the season

The whole "Jody wants his guys going to Iowa" thing is tongue-in-cheek, right? Like that's a running gag?

Never met the dude. Respect the hell out of him from afar... Ain't no club coach of his caliber and (assumed) great character actually trying to steer athletes.
He speaks highly of his alma mater.

PIAA isn’t going to go for Bassett saying the transfers had zero to do with wrestling and all for academics and emotional reasons. The PIAA doesn’t like being mocked. If that is their defense it will be a quick hearing.

I mean wouldn’t the fact that the dad/I think uncle of some of the kids got fired and is now the coach at the school in question be relevant without being for “athletic advantage”?

I’d think it’s also harder to question the out of state transfers assuming their families actually moved.

But again, the one article seems to point to a “sophomore that transferred from Forest Hills to McCort this year” as the main reason for the sanctions.

Correct.

A couple more points:
1. McCort is a repeat offender under multiple coaches within the past 5 yrs. D6 likely viewed this as an institutional issue.
2. D6 likely views Bassett's hiring as a means of facilitating mass transfers, again an institutional issue.

That would be typical of a sports association designed to oversee and regulate student athletics. Get pissed at a few adults, fry the hell out of those damn kids. That will teach them.
Paraphrasing Jerry Tarkanian, when the NCAA catches Kentucky cheating Cleveland State knows they are about to get hammered.

That would be typical of a sports association designed to oversee and regulate student athletics. Get pissed at a few adults, fry the hell out of those damn kids. That will teach them.
Paraphrasing Jerry Tarkanian, when the NCAA catches Kentucky cheating Cleveland State knows they are about to get hammered.
No disagreement. D6 had multiple other options available: (1) suspend the hell out of the coaches; (2) suspend the McCort program but not the wrestlers themselves -- which gives them the option of transferring elsewhere.

The Bassett Brothers need to take their father's phone away from him.

The spin angle is becoming cemented in. The coach broke rules and got caught. In part bc he celebrated the rule violations with daily FB videos. He is now being punished. The school is a repeat offender. It is being punished. If the students are seeking a better educational experience then that is still available. If extracurricular activities are more important than the better educational experience then they can transfer back to the school districts they reside in. If creating a AA wrestling empire in Johnstown, PA was the goal all along, it’s over.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Facebook posts of pics of kids in McCort gear with "Our latest commit" or something like that was where I thought they jumped the shark. If they didn't see this coming, their egos to the best of them. I do think punishment should be more severe for the adults than for the kids. - the coach who did the recruiting suspended for 1 year but kids miss post season for 2 to 3?

Some "enterprising" school in Iowa should hire Bill and entice the entire McCort crew to come out that way. They never seem to have hs recruiting issues out that way. Or do they? Hell, theres also a young guns there . I’m sure Tom would let them workout with the HWC as well. Bill could even open up his compound if he wanted. It will almost be like they never even left Pennsylvania. Well… except the kids will be allowed to wrestle and there will be corn everywhere. Whoever fixed Larry Lee up with a job should look into this. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
The spin angle is becoming cemented in. The coach broke rules and got caught. In part bc he celebrated the rule violations with daily FB videos. He is now being punished. The school is a repeat offender. It is being punished. If the students are seeking a better educational experience then that is still available. If extracurricular activities are more important than the better educational experience then they can transfer back to the school districts they reside in. If creating a AA wrestling empire in Johnstown, PA was the goal all along, it’s over.
I posted this in On3 also, so sorry to those who read both.

I got family that went there and still go there. In summary, the racial stuff was not a huge deal. Especially since Strayer is still there. The moving plan was already in action before that. Bill has nobody to blame but himself for this mess. Several other players in this mess are disgusting excuses for human beings.

I posted this in On3 also, so sorry to those who read both.

I got family that went there and still go there. In summary, the racial stuff was not a huge deal. Especially since Strayer is still there. The moving plan was already in action before that. Bill has nobody to blame but himself for this mess. Several other players in this mess are disgusting excuses for human beings.
They were already planning to move to McCort before the King of the Mountain incident, when all were enrolled at Forest Hills and Bassett was FH Jr High coach?

I guess it's possible -- IIRC the McCort head coach had already announced his resignation -- but then why hasn't this gotten out until now?

They were already planning to move to McCort before the King of the Mountain incident, when all were enrolled at Forest Hills and Bassett was FH Jr High coach?

I guess it's possible -- IIRC the McCort head coach had already announced his resignation -- but then why hasn't this gotten out until now?
I don't know anything for certain. But that is what I was told by family members who know pretty much everyone involved. The incident is just being used as an excuse.

I don't know anything for certain. But that is what I was told by family members who know pretty much everyone involved. The incident is just being used as an excuse.

I could see how the incident is being used as an excuse, but regardless, Bassett still got fired from FH. Would you keep your kids in a school you were fired from?

I could see how the incident is being used as an excuse, but regardless, Bassett still got fired from FH. Would you keep your kids in a school you were fired from?
That is certainly true. My problem is then why smear Strayers name. Just leave the school. Start over at McCort and get on with life.

Reactions: El-Jefe
That is certainly true. My problem is then why smear Strayers name. Just leave the school. Start over at McCort and get on with life.

True. Do you think the complaint against McCort would have still been filed if they didn’t try to “smear Strayer’s name”?

True. Do you think the complaint against McCort would have still been filed if they didn’t try to “smear Strayer’s name”?
That's exactly what happened. That angle had been completely evaporated until the D6 ruling was issued.

Should also note that while some parties have mentioned racism, only one has overtly associated it with Strayer -- Mineo. And for whatever reason, Mineo has a boner for Strayer.

Reactions: Goathead88
No idea. But I'm sure the social media posts everywhere by the Bassetts on that situation plus bragging about all the transfers made the decision to file a complaint easier.

To me, the out of state transfers are a giant red flag. Hard to believe you are going to move into an area as economically depressed as Johnstown when many are trying to get out. Then claim it's for academic reasons. No private schools were doing in person learning in whatever state they came from?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT