ADVERTISEMENT

Blue/White game observations....

Anyone there knows there was not 71k there. There as not 71k worth of area covered with any people and what was covered with people was covered at a density of 50% or less. There was not 40k of actual people in attendance.

There was DEFINITELY more than 40,000 people there. Maybe it was you who wasn't there.

By the way. Explain how that means squat wrt how we might look this Fall?

Reactions: PearlSUJam
There was DEFINITELY more than 40,000 people there. Maybe it was you who wasn't there.

Sorry it offends you when someone has an opinion that differs from yours. You act like you counted everyone. I do still believe it was closer to 40k than 71k. Nothing “invested in it”. Ushers wanted people spread out. That’s nice for everyone. But it is far from real game density. I have been to about every B/W game the last 20 years and it was one of the best weather days and hopefully a productive recruiting day as well

The hilarious thing is he posts as GreggInPitt then logs in as Cappy to defend himself. It's really something special.

The west side was nearly full. The east side a bit less, likely due to the sun.

The hilarious thing is he posts as GreggInPitt then logs in as Cappy to defend himself. It's really something special.

Hilarious that I make a comment on crowd size and you believe I have another motive or I’m someone else. It’s hilarious that I even read your posts.....

Last edited:
Agree. Luketa looked better than Parsons. And Luketa was playing against the better offense.

Luketa was running to the ball and playing like a polished senior. He seemed to hit everything that moved. Parsons played more reactive, like I thought he would. I'm sure he will be good when he learns what is going on and can react better, but in no way did he give me the WOW factor first impression that Lavar did.

After what I saw yesterday, the people making the comparisons between him and Lavar are completely off their rocker. That's just not fair to Micah at this point. Lavar was a once in a lifetime beast. And he played that way from the first time he hit the field (even though he ran himself out of position a lot).

agree on Luketa = he looks like the MLB starter now. i defer to the people who saw Micah play in HS, as they have more data points. in this game he clearly did not stand out to me as a WOW factor, and is not Lavar (2). i have to say i was not overly impressed with him at his US Army AA game either. however, he got 5* for a reason, so the people watching him for years have probably alot better view.

The three of us older PSU alums that were watching the game together and discussing the younger players all believed Parsons played well. He attacked the ball and seemed to be in on many plays. I believe he was credited with 8 tackles.

Reactions: mn78psu83
The three of us older PSU alums that were watching the game together and discussing the younger players all believed Parsons played well. He attacked the ball and seemed to be in on many plays. I believe he was credited with 8 tackles.
Agree. He was fine. People are really expecting a lot - too much - from him at this point in time. The LB position is new to him. It will take time.

I loved seeing all the PSU lettermen and even our 2018 NFL draft hopefuls on the sideline. Looked like a ton of fun - gonna have to go when the kids are older. Anyone go to any of the BoT nominee tailgates? Any feedback?

Reactions: CappyToCJF
agree on Luketa = he looks like the MLB starter now. i defer to the people who saw Micah play in HS, as they have more data points. in this game he clearly did not stand out to me as a WOW factor, and is not Lavar (2). i have to say i was not overly impressed with him at his US Army AA game either. however, he got 5* for a reason, so the people watching him for years have probably alot better view.
Plenty of kids have shown the WOW factor during the BW game and then disappeared. A true freshman not standing out in his first game, a glorified scrimmage, is nothing to get excited about.

Pretty horrible analysis. Why did McSorley play so much and Clifford so little? Coach said that Clifford tweaked a hamstring earlier in the week. Small crowd? Reportedly 71k in attendance, 4th most in the country.

Yeah I thought it was one the largest BW crowds I’ve seen.

ICA takes a wild ass guess at estimating. Also, even when sections look full like that people are not packed in like cattle, so not as full as they look. If they stated 71k, likely closer to 56k. At the end of the day does not matter if it was 40, 56, 71 or somewhere in between.

Back from the game. Not really too much to report, but I'd be interested to hear what others saw today....

1. Parsons basically played the whole game. He seemed to be around the ball on most of the plays. He was also on the kickoff teams. He also got called for a penalty. Is that the football version of a Gordie Howe hat trick?

2. One of the smaller B/W crowds I have seen for such a beautiful day.

3. Recruit seating area was packed full.

4. Wade warming up without much of a shirt was a show - he is built like a tank. I expect some crunching blows, and likely a targeting call on him on a clean hit, as his career progresses and he crunches receivers.

5. Although C.Brown and Farmer did not play, Darien played lots and was in on lots of plays for the Blue. He looks like a very good future LB as he continues to adjust to the position and fill out in the S&C program. Miller also seemed to play pretty well at LB.

6. Hippenhammer was hoppin all over the field. And Sulivan-Brown and Hamler looked good as well. So I will be surprised if any of the true FR WR's play in 2018 except Shorter.

7. I don't really understand why McSorley played so much and Clifford not as much....

8. CB looks deep, with McPhearson and Brown looking good in addition to those who seem entrenched in the rotation - Castro-Fields...

9. Joseph seemed to play most of the game at DE for Blue, and he looked pretty quick.

10. We were sitting with a great view of the White bench and Jenkins is a man child. But we never saw him get into the game. Is he hurt or just 5th team?

11. TE looks like it could be almost a start from scratch battle for Fall camp. Holland and Bowers did not play that we could see, if Kuntz played I sure didn't notice him, and Dalton was the only scholarship TE we noticed, and it was hard to notice him.......

Greg, has this 'man-child' Jenkins, gotten any better sir?

Thanks!!

Yeah I thought it was one the largest BW crowds I’ve seen.

Me too. I guessed about 65,000. I was in the endzone and people were still coming in for the whole first half. As someone else noted in this thread the west side was nearly full at one point. Have never seen that before at a B/W game.

Not from a tv perspective. Looked like pretty much all areas covered but for the upper decks. 65-70% capacity is a good estimate.

They sometimes close or discourage people from going upstairs for this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Love Shelton and Hansard. Nice backups to Givens and Windsor. Thought Barber looked strong. Bolds was OK. Mustipher will have impact by mid season. The Judge looked really bulked up, too. Hawkins looked bigger. Need Alfano in next class to go with these three.

The pic was just before KO, which was not the most populated point of the game, it also showed the East side in the sun, not the more full west side. Was it 71K, probably not, but it was much more than 40K. If you want to split the difference and call it 55K thats more reasonable to say than 40.

Greg, has this 'man-child' Jenkins, gotten any better sir?

Thanks!!

I really didn't see him get into the game, but others said that he got in late. He was standing most of the game on the sidelines. Looks like an NFL OT. But if a player has a frame like his and is a redshirt Junior and not even 2nd string, it seems very unlikely he will ever see meaningful playing time at PSU....

Last edited:
They ran a two back set from shotgun and TMcS looked very comfortable optioning from it. MCS is going to run more this year.

Luketa has the “it” factor
I noticed this post and another saying he stood out. Not following recruiting closely, I googled the name and ended up watching his HS highlights. Granted when you are 230 pounds and you are playing against most all under 190, plus you are much faster, you are going to look great. Having said that, omgosh! They played him all over the field and he was devastating. Frankly, I would not be surprised if he didn't injure some of those kids for life!

Back from the game. Not really too much to report, but I'd be interested to hear what others saw today....

1. Parsons basically played the whole game. He seemed to be around the ball on most of the plays. He was also on the kickoff teams. He also got called for a penalty. Is that the football version of a Gordie Howe hat trick?

2. One of the smaller B/W crowds I have seen for such a beautiful day.

3. Recruit seating area was packed full.

4. Wade warming up without much of a shirt was a show - he is built like a tank. I expect some crunching blows, and likely a targeting call on him on a clean hit, as his career progresses and he crunches receivers.

5. Although C.Brown and Farmer did not play, Darien played lots and was in on lots of plays for the Blue. He looks like a very good future LB as he continues to adjust to the position and fill out in the S&C program. Miller also seemed to play pretty well at LB.

6. Hippenhammer was hoppin all over the field. And Sulivan-Brown and Hamler looked good as well. So I will be surprised if any of the true FR WR's play in 2018 except Shorter.

7. I don't really understand why McSorley played so much and Clifford not as much....

8. CB looks deep, with McPhearson and Brown looking good in addition to those who seem entrenched in the rotation - Castro-Fields...

9. Joseph seemed to play most of the game at DE for Blue, and he looked pretty quick.

10. We were sitting with a great view of the White bench and Jenkins is a man child. But we never saw him get into the game. Is he hurt or just 5th team?

11. TE looks like it could be almost a start from scratch battle for Fall camp. Holland and Bowers did not play that we could see, if Kuntz played I sure didn't notice him, and Dalton was the only scholarship TE we noticed, and it was hard to notice him.......

Only take away was no serious injuries..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT