BLS: Jobs Openings increased to 5.5 million in September

CDW3333

Mar 10, 2010
Good to see that you're reading Calculated Risk. It's an excellent site for information concerning economics, business, finance, and the economy in general. Be sure to check out the blogs listed on the right margin, especially the one written by that Krugman fellow.

I hear he has a future in the economics biz.

As for those available jobs, all the employers have to do is raise wages and they'll have no problem filling the job slots.

You know the free market, Adam Smith's Invisible Hand, supply and demand and all that.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Good to see that you're reading Calculated Risk. It's an excellent site for information concerning economics, business, finance, and the economy in general. Be sure to check out the blogs listed on the right margin, especially the one written by that Krugman fellow.

As for those available jobs, all the employers have to do is raise wages and they'll have no problem filling the job slots.

You know the free market, Adam Smith's Invisible Hand, supply and demand and all that.

Krugman is a joke. The Rush Limbaugh of the left.

Krugman is a one trick pony - government spending. That's it. He's a sad pathetic, hateful bigoted partisan.

Maybe those employers will raise wages? Maybe if the government reduces welfare spending by say ($30,000 x 5,500,000 = $165 billion), those individuals will be inclined to work? Just a thought. And think of the taxes that can be collected on those wages..... Should resonate with you. More taxes?

Last edited:

thecoolestfish

Nov 1, 2005

Unfortunately, in many cases that is not true. Many positions are 'open' because the only ones who have the education/skills/abilities to fill them are already gainfully and happily employed.

So, if they raise the wages for those open positions, they may fill them, but then new ones will open up from where the employees left. Net zero.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
pretty interesting graph. observations:

• First, the devil is always in the definitions and we don't know what those are. But there is clearly a rise in "micro-businesses" and this is not being measured anywhere that I can see. How do I know this? My company is putting together software for micro-businesses and it is being very, very successful.
  • while job openings appear to be going up, at a fairly rapid rate, hiring has gone down in 2015. Why?
  • Quits are moving up faster than anytime covered in that graph.

Conclusion? Obamacare. Not that that's good or bad, but there are going to be a ton of consequences.

bdgan

May 29, 2008

Krugman is a liberal media hack, not an economist.

I'm glad to see you agree that a lot of people prefer to live on the dole rather than work.

CDW3333

Mar 10, 2010
Unfortunately, in many cases that is not true. Many positions are 'open' because the only ones who have the education/skills/abilities to fill them are already gainfully and happily employed.

So, if they raise the wages for those open positions, they may fill them, but then new ones will open up from where the employees left. Net zero.
Pay the position better and people will go get the education, right? Isn't that how the free market works?

The recent example is welders. You have to go to school to be a welder and get certified if you want any real work.

"If you're pursuing postsecondary education, you can enroll in an associate's degree program in welding technology or a certificate of completion in welding. During these programs, you'll complete courses on physics, chemistry, blueprint reading, shop mathematics and mechanical drawing. A great deal of hands-on experience is required during a welding program, since you'll need to become familiar with the tools used in this career. You'll also need to practice welding with different types of metals and varying sizes of materials."

And all that to make $37,000 a year. And for a job that is quickly being replaced by robots.

I have a client who is a welder with 20 years experience who is unable to find work because of the downturn in the oil industry in Texas.

CDW3333

Mar 10, 2010
Krugman is a liberal media hack, not an economist.

I'm glad to see you agree that a lot of people prefer to live on the dole rather than work.
What is this dole you speak of? Perhaps you could outline it for me. In Houston I see many people out on the street, begging for money, and living under bridges.

Are they on the dole?

CDW3333

Mar 10, 2010

Isn't that supposed to be the American Dream? You take a low paying job, you become better at it and more efficient so you are able to command a better wage and this is the upward conveyor belt to prosperity. Meanwhile less experienced workers are coming in and taking those lower paying jobs.

Isn't that how the free market is supposed to work?

bdgan

May 29, 2008
What is this dole you speak of? Perhaps you could outline it for me. In Houston I see many people out on the street, begging for money, and living under bridges.

Are they on the dole?
Yes, or they have a mental illness. We have programs to prevent anybody in this country from starving or being homeless.

That's the thing with you libs. You act like this country is loaded with responsible people that graduated high school, stayed off drugs, didn't have children out of wedlock, never committed a crime, etc. but they have to live in the streets and eat from garbage cans because the 1% have screwed them over.

Catch50

Feb 5, 2003
Yes, or they have a mental illness. We have programs to prevent anybody in this country from starving or being homeless.

That's the thing with you libs. You act like this country is loaded with responsible people that graduated high school, stayed off drugs, didn't have children out of wedlock, never committed a crime, etc. but they have to live in the streets and eat from garbage cans because the 1% have screwed them over.

No. Because the poor and middle class voters in Republican states screw themselves and the rest of the country. By voting for Republicans who can't manage an economy. That means growth without increasing deficits.

You have to admit. You never hear me complain about the 1%. I love capitalism very much. Off topic a bit but explain to me how I would hurt capitalism.

Last edited:

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
No. Because the poor and middle class voters in Republican states screw themselves and the rest of the country. By voting for Republicans who can't manage an economy. That means growth without increasing deficits.

You have to admit. You never here me complain about the 1%. I love capitalism very much. Off topic a bit but explain to me how I would hurt capitalism.

Catch is a democrat. Tried and true......

franklinman

Apr 5, 2011
Pa and Fl

Just a guess,most of these companies have never heard of apprenticeships..