ADVERTISEMENT

Bill O'Brien Used to Coach at MD too

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
If he gets canned by the Texans (I know there were a lot of mixed opinions on if that would happen or not) I would really hope he not end up at UMD. Not that I actually think he would have THAT much of an impact against us, but he is a solid offensive coach and his past success (right or wrong) in New England brings in street cred with players (look at Hack). Although, if Butler were the D coordinator that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Just a thought. I hope it doesn't happen.

If he gets canned by the Texans (I know there were a lot of mixed opinions on if that would happen or not) I would really hope he not end up at UMD. Not that I actually think he would have THAT much of an impact against us, but he is a solid offensive coach and his past success (right or wrong) in New England brings in street cred with players (look at Hack). Although, if Butler were the D coordinator that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Maybe he will go back to Brown. I doubt it.

I doubt UMd. can pay what O'Brien expects to be paid. Loved him, but he seems to chase the money. I can't blame him, given his son's condition. But I don't see UMd. paying 6+million.

I also doubt he gets canned, but his QB situation is of his own making. If the Texans struggle and they are drafting top 5 next year, he better be drafting a QB high. No one thought Savage would pan out from the 4th round, and Hoyer and Mallett are, at best, game managers. BOB is finding out what life is like when you don't have a HoF as your QB. I would have thought he'd throw a 5th-7th rounder at the Raiders for MM just to have his own guy. MM might have a lower ceiling, but IMO he's a good fit for BOB's system.

Barring a total collapse by the Texans, it's unlikely that O'Brien will get canned this year.

I don't think O'Brien has any interest in college football. He is built to be a pro coach, he isn't the right guy to suck up to alumni, go to fundraisers, butter up recruits and their families. I think he just wants to coach football and nothing else.

Maryland can pay him...the Owner of Under Armour is a former MD football player.

Yeah, Kevin Plank, a former walk-on. Didn't know he was throwing any of his 3.9 Billion fortune towards UMD though, as he is always re-investing on health and fitness tracking systems for Under Armour.

I don't think O'Brien has any interest in college football. He is built to be a pro coach, he isn't the right guy to suck up to alumni, go to fundraisers, butter up recruits and their families. I think he just wants to coach football and nothing else.
^^^^ This^^^^^

Yeah, Kevin Plank, a former walk-on. Didn't know he was throwing any of his 3.9 Billion fortune towards UMD though, as he is always re-investing on health and fitness tracking systems for Under Armour.
actually you go look at the new team facilities they want to build, IIRC he is funding 50% which is like $10mm of his money, they have to raise the rest.

Agreed, more likely he would go after a coordinators position.

I would be surprised if he got canned. Although NFL ownership can be anywhere from brilliant to idiotic so anything is possible. He could be tanking for a high draft pick if you ask me and if so has the nod from management. I mean look at Indianapolis for crying out loud ..I still don't believe they were that bad without Manning.

Where do you think UMD gets's their crazy Oregon like uni's from?

I'd be stunned if he ever went back to college. Assuming he were looking for another job, I'd think NFL OC before somebody else comes calling for a HC gig

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT