ADVERTISEMENT

Bill O Brien

PennStateNate

Feb 2, 2014
I like BOB, but it seems he is really in the hot seat. Houston lost to the Giants today and now have lost 12 of last 13 games. Apparently BOB was booed every time he was shown of the Jumbotron.

Add his name to the next Pitt coach thread below. Just kidding, because he's an NFL guy, but they could do worse. Unfortunately, I think he's out of a job soon.

I like BOB, but it seems he is really in the hot seat. Houston lost to the Giants today and now have lost 12 of last 13 games. Apparently BOB was booed every time he was shown of the Jumbotron.
The family and I went to cheer on the Texans and Saquon. The boo birds were out in force and started early. I was shocked with the number of Giants fans in our section. It seems most of the regular Texans fans sold there seats. Very rare for a home opener.

I don't like BOB. He left this program high and dry after two years and good riddance. I hope they fire him tomorrow.

Reactions: Sharkies
Add his name to the next Pitt coach thread below. Just kidding, because he's an NFL guy, but they could do worse. Unfortunately, I think he's out of a job soon.
I hope he winds up at Pitt: They'll stop recruiting offensive linemen and be 0-12 every season.

Reactions: norcalion
Never good when you issue an ultimatum when you’re a coach. Many say that Billy went to the owner and said it was either him or the GM. Puts all the focus on you as a result if that’s the way you decide to play it.

I have been upfront in my distaste for him from when he was coach to beyond. In my book, all he ever did was get into a shouting match with the GOAT. When he was the coach at PSU, he embarrassed himself a couple of times not knowing the college rules for clock start and stop. IMO, we seriously upgraded with Coach James.

The fans are all ready to put their fists through their windshields....LMFAO!!! Looks like FLO hasn't lost his one great talent....how to rub everyone the wrong way everywhere he goes.

Never good when you issue an ultimatum when you’re a coach. Many say that Billy went to the owner and said it was either him or the GM. Puts all the focus on you as a result if that’s the way you decide to play it.

I have been upfront in my distaste for him from when he was coach to beyond. In my book, all he ever did was get into a shouting match with the GOAT. When he was the coach at PSU, he embarrassed himself a couple of times not knowing the college rules for clock start and stop. IMO, we seriously upgraded with Coach James.

Everything else aside pretty sure everyone knows we upgraded with CJF.

LdN

Reactions: nits74 and 91Joe95
Check out BOB's resume. He was a journeyman college coach when he hooked on with NE. When McDaniels left he became OC. Somehow the legend grew that he was a quarterback whisperer. I think Brady was pretty good and won super bowls before he ever met BOB....with whom he never won one.
His contract expired at NE and McDaniel was fired by The Broncos ....and was going to return to NE as OC.
BOB was looking for a job and Ira and Judas were desperate, having screwed up the coaching search like they did everything else that year. Jaws who is a fast friend of Ira the Terrible gave them BOB's name.BOB used PSU as a pit stop and that is fine. I don't think he would have stood the test of time as a college coach. He did okay. I give Mauti and Zordich etc. more credit for holding the team together. Despite the legend, BOB inherited a pretty damn good team the first year.

If he gets fired he will latch on as an OC somewhere. Or, he could go to some underachieving Big XII team. Actually, he would probably do quite well in that situation.

Reactions: 83wuzme
I hated when he left us but I truly believe he saved our program. Very few coaches could have come in under those circumstances and make this team, along with Mauti and Co.cohesive. I'll always hold him in high esteem for those two years.

I hated when he left us but I truly believe he saved our program. Very few coaches could have come in under those circumstances and make this team, along with Mauti and Co.cohesive. I'll always hold him in high esteem for those two years.

Not me. I still can't believe he ignored his new job for the first few months while Urban Meyer and others plundered the recruiting class. Then when sanctions were still in flux all he could muster was 'keep us on tv'? The bot wanted a lackey so they could impose sanctions and they got one. If they had hired a headstrong coach they would have had major pushback. Well, at least FLO was rewarded with a new contract with a much lower buyout even though his previous contract covered potential sanctions.

No one person "saved" our program. Our program is bigger than any one person. This guy ignored our program for 3 months while Meyer and everyone else under the sun came in and pillaged us. Two KIDS had to stand up for the entire program and make a stand, and I damn sure didn't see Bill freaking O'Brien do anything close to what Mauti and Zordich did.

Anyway, Picking out one man and worshipping him, does not work. History has shown that to be true.

No one person "saved" our program. Our program is bigger than any one person. This guy ignored our program for 3 months while Meyer and everyone else under the sun came in and pillaged us. Two KIDS had to stand up for the entire program and make a stand, and I damn sure didn't see Bill freaking O'Brien do anything close to what Mauti and Zordich did.

Anyway, Picking out one man and worshipping him, does not work. History has shown that to be true.
Can we worship you, Miles?

You are the true oracle of this board. Wrasslin’ and all.

I don’t see it. That would be a difficult move for a guy who has been clear the NFL is where he wants to be.

"Saved the program" what a laughable bunch of bullshit! What "saved the program" was the LOYALTY, INTEGRITY and CHARACTER of the players that Joe Paterno's Administration recruited to PSU - not Bill O'Brien. BTW, Fly'in Ly'in O'Brien then used these Paterno recruits over the next 2 years (which included double-digit multi-year starters and NFL players) to generate the "success" that he, and his agent, shamelessly marketed horse-trading his PSU contract as a stepping-stone to an NFL contract. The only player FLO brought to the program was Hackenberg and FLO left the cupboard bare and the program (including recruiting) in a complete shambles when he LIED to current players as well as potential recruits in telling them he wasn't going anywhere AND WASN'T TALKING TO ANYONE only days before signing his current contract and slinking out of State College in the dead of night....and orchestrating a bullshit "hit-job" on PSU & Joe Paterno in orchestration with that scumbag, David Jones!

This asshole deserves everything he is receiving in Houston, and far more.

"Saved the program" what a laughable bunch of bullshit! What "saved the program" was the LOYALTY, INTEGRITY and CHARACTER of the players that Joe Paterno's Administration recruited to PSU - not Bill O'Brien. BTW, Fly'in Ly'in O'Brien then used these Paterno recruits over the next 2 years (which included double-digit multi-year starters and NFL players) to generate the "success" that he, and his agent, shamelessly marketed horse-trading his PSU contract as a stepping-stone to an NFL contract. The only player FLO brought to the program was Hackenberg and FLO left the cupboard bare and the program (including recruiting) in a complete shambles when he LIED to current players as well as potential recruits in telling them he wasn't going anywhere AND WASN'T TALKING TO ANYONE only days before signing his current contract and slinking out of State College in the dead of night....and orchestrating a bullshit "hit-job" on PSU & Joe Paterno in orchestration with that scumbag, David Jones!

VINTAGE!

OB should always be remembered here for helping to save this program while our enemies were trying to destroy us I hope the best for him but it is the nfl and it is tough

Reactions: Pocono Lion

Yeah, but the guy had integrity. Remember when he taught the players about business decisions, and then blasted them when they dared to repeat it on their way out, only to repeat it himself when he left?

My Dad knew BOB’s Dad. BOB’s Dad said he did not like the lack of time off with the PSU job. This is a legitimate dislike, especially if your family has a special needs child. My guess is that most P5 HC jobs are like this.
I expect BOB will stay around the NFL as either a HC or OC. He never got much help from the Texans GM, anyway.

Remember now, he blamed his leaving on the JoeBots. Can't have it both ways JoeBots: Can't worship a savior who left a program and blamed YOU.

Yeah, but the guy had integrity. Remember when he taught the players about business decisions, and then blasted them when they dared to repeat it on their way out, only to repeat it himself when he left?

Exactly! The prototypical "Do as I say, not as I do" HYPOCRITE! He expects more from 18, 19 and 20 year olds than he demands of himself - wow, what a "role-model"! The diametric opposite of how a "real man" is supposed to behave.

My Dad knew BOB’s Dad. BOB’s Dad said he did not like the lack of time off with the PSU job. This is a legitimate dislike, especially if your family has a special needs child. My guess is that most P5 HC jobs are like this.
I expect BOB will stay around the NFL as either a HC or OC. He never got much help from the Texans GM, anyway.

He was being paid $4 million a year at PSU before any bonuses and he didn't like the amount of "time off" he was receiving... Cry me a phucking river FLO, what a narcissistic self-pitying douche to expect people to view his "good fortune" (which is what PSU giving him his FIRST MULTI-MILLION $$$ a year HC Contract was!) was actually awful drudgery and with little recompense??? What laughable, self-serving bullshit like everything else FLO floats...

Reactions: Sharkies
James Franklin is clearly better for Penn State. Bill O'Brien was not suited for the college game, nor did he have the welfare of Penn State at the top of his list. Franklin appears to have both of these attributes.

That's ridiculous. There's NO WAY that an NFL HC is able to take more time off.

BOB is, and always was, an NFL guy.
PSU was a resume building stop. He had no head coaching experience on his resume and being a Belichick coordinator wasn’t going to get him a top job based on the performances of Weiss, Romeo C., Mangini and others.
BOB was gonna be a short-timer at PSU from the moment he signed his contract. Anybody with half a brain could see that. It was a no-lose for him. Thrive in an impossible situation and he’s a golden boy. And if he’d struggle, he’d return to the NFL undamaged with HC experience on his resume.
PSU took advantage of the deal, too. Got a coach with some pedigree to guide the program out of the depths. PSU did far better with this hire than I ever imagined possible.
Bottom line: Both sides used each other to get what they needed at the time, then went their separate ways in the direction they wanted to go.
Like every coach, BOB said what he had to say so as not to show his cards while career decisions were being made. If that bruised a couple ego or irritated a few fans, oh well...
BOB used PSU.
PSU used BOB.
Both were better off by the time they split.

ADVERTISEMENT