ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Farrell or Black Knight Invite

I have not looked at the dates, and I probably doubt it is possible, but could they, from a competition standpoint and date standpoint, do both? I know NCAA restricts competition dates, but is that only for NCAA events?
I believe I heard Vincenzo was going to the Farrell.

And for any non-free style wrestlers, I assume they would be Black Knight bound, this includes non-starters but does not include red shirt wrestlers.

I have not looked at the dates, and I probably doubt it is possible, but could they, from a competition standpoint and date standpoint, do both? I know NCAA restricts competition dates, but is that only for NCAA events?
I believe I heard Vincenzo was going to the Farrell.
Farrell is Friday, Army is Sunday.

Competition dates are limited to NCAA events. Farrell doesn't count.

Nobody will do both. Too close together, both physically and mentally.

I was just going to post about Cassar. The Farrell should be pretty exciting with all the talent going. I thought I heard Gabel Steveson probably would be there too, he isn’t busy at Minn right now....

I knew I was forgetting someone. Sorry Nick. Any sign Coon is going to try both styles?

Surprising to see Gross listed. Pretty big cut mid-folk season.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Well that's just great, my wife and I are making the trip to West Point and we may not get to see everyone. This whole Olympic cycle set up in the middle of the season thing sucks. And speaking of that when is the Olympic committee going to get there heads out of there asses and fix the weight class issue. I'm sure it's not going to bankrupt them to add 4 weight classes. I guess 12 if you count all 3 divisions.

Well that's just great, my wife and I are making the trip to West Point and we may not get to see everyone. This whole Olympic cycle set up in the middle of the season thing sucks. And speaking of that when is the Olympic committee going to get there heads out of there asses and fix the weight class issue. I'm sure it's not going to bankrupt them to add 4 weight classes. I guess 12 if you count all 3 divisions.
Not that easy to simply add 4 extra weight classes. It is really about the number of athletes as each weight class has 16 wrestlers so that would be an additional 64 athletes per style and 192 total. I am not sure how many athletes they put in a room but even at 4 per room that is still almost 50 extra rooms in the athletes village. I hope that someday they do to to 10 weight classes as well but I see the difficulty of presents.

Reactions: Str8DBLz

Vincenzo and Anthony are ducking you.

Seth Gross is going to 57kg for this as well. If he is planning on making an Olympic run at 57kg I am wondering if he is planning on making a move to 125lbs at some point this season. That could change the dynamic of the team race big time.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events...national-open/videos?playing=6587914&limit=60
Seriously doubt it. Very risky move with NCAA weight loss descent rules, and with NCAA seeding based upon matches at the entered weight.

Much more likely that he cuts once this weekend, maybe one more time in December for Senior Nationals, otherwise remains at 133 for the entire NCAA season.

He'd then still have time to drop for the Olympic Trials

The Olympic Committee was all set to drop wrestling completely just a few years ago. Chances of them adding weight classes any time soon is IMHO a pipe dream. As far as they are concerned there is no problem.

Reactions: ItalianLion
Not that easy to simply add 4 extra weight classes. It is really about the number of athletes as each weight class has 16 wrestlers so that would be an additional 64 athletes per style and 192 total. I am not sure how many athletes they put in a room but even at 4 per room that is still almost 50 extra rooms in the athletes village. I hope that someday they do to to 10 weight classes as well but I see the difficulty of presents.

Is Hall definitely a no go? Not sure if registration is still open or that info is already out there. I would imagine a cut to 74kg, if that's where he's going, would be pretty tough while maintaining enough size at 174 lbs. But maybe smarter to keep weight down and get comfortable there than to cut a lot in a short period of time for trials and not be used to the lower weight

Kinda surprised to see Snyder listed. Maybe he wants to work on some newly-learned technique.
Worth saying here, with all the talent showing up at the Bill Farrell;

The highest placed Senior Freestyle USA athlete per weight category winning a medal, who has yet to qualify will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials

That's one wrestler per weight class. Fyi, Zain & David have already earned their spots, as have Snyder and Manville (Greco).

i don't see him listed but they are taking walk-ins the day of.

Is Hall definitely a no go? Not sure if registration is still open or that info is already out there. I would imagine a cut to 74kg, if that's where he's going, would be pretty tough while maintaining enough size at 174 lbs. But maybe smarter to keep weight down and get comfortable there than to cut a lot in a short period of time for trials and not be used to the lower weight

Reactions: jbkeller72
Worth saying here, with all the talent showing up at the Bill Farrell;

The highest placed Senior Freestyle USA athlete per weight category winning a medal, who has yet to qualify will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials

That's one wrestler per weight class. Fyi, Zain & David have already earned their spots, as have Snyder and Manville (Greco).

I also believe Bo qualified for winning U23 world championship. How did David qualify? Not doubting, just wondering.

I also believe Bo qualified for winning U23 world championship. How did David qualify? Not doubting, just wondering.
Yes. An October 1 list was used...which is now incomplete by a wrestler or two. Thanks!

Here's what I have;

57kg
Thomas Gilman (2018 World Team)
Daton Fix (2019 World Team)

Qualified at non-Olympic weight (61kg)
Nahshon Garrett (2018 Final X Champ)
Joe Colon (2018 World Team)
Tyler Graff (2019 World Team)

65kg
Logan Stieber (2018 World Team, but now retired)
Zain Retherford (2019 World Team)

Qualified at non-Olympic weight (70kg)
James Green (2019 World Team)

74kg
Jordan Burroughs (2019 World Team), earns automatic Final X berth
David Carr (2019 Junior World Champ)

Qualified at non-Olympic weight (79kg)
Kyle Dake (2019 World Team), earns semifinals of the weight he chooses

86kg
David Taylor (2018 World Team)
Pat Downey (2019 World Team)

Qualified at non-Olympic weight (92kg)
J'den Cox (2019 World Team), earns semifinals of the weight he chooses
Bo Nickal (2019 U23 Champ)

97kg
Kyle Snyder (2019 World Team), earns automatic Final X berth

125kg
Nick Gwiazdowski (2019 World Team)
Mason Parris (2019 Junior World Champ)

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
I assume there are two errors in your last post Roar, Snyder and Burroughs are listed as earning automatic Final X berth, but Final X doesn't exist in Olympic year. Is it like J'Den's semi berth? Or So they somehow get a finals, after the challenger (for want of a better name) bracket is done?

I assume there are two errors in your last post Roar, Snyder and Burroughs are listed as earning automatic Final X berth, but Final X doesn't exist in Olympic year. Is it like J'Den's semi berth? Or So they somehow get a finals, after the challenger (for want of a better name) bracket is done?
It's not called Final X, and it isn't a separate event--but it's effectively the same thing--a best of 3 series on day 2 of OTT in the BJC to determine the Olympic rep.

So at 74 and 97 only there is effectively a challenger bracket and then the winner does a best to 3 against Snyder and Burroughs?

So at 74 and 97 only there is effectively a challenger bracket and then the winner does a best to 3 against Snyder and Burroughs?
That is correct--though I actually can't remember if, in the other weights, the bracket finals are also best of 3 and on day 2. I think so....

Or for those weights, does the winner of the December Qualifier (ie US Open) advance to the finals like in non-olympic years?

Last edited:
Reactions: 86PSUPaul

You read it wrong. They didn;t qualify for Final X 2020, they qualified for the 2020 Olympic Trials because they qualified for 2019 Final X.

ADVERTISEMENT