ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest PSU-Iowa game in history coming up?

psupride1997

Sep 1, 2010
Shaping up that way. Currently #5 vs #6 in the AP Poll. Iowa has a terrible Colorado State team next at home and a Friday night game at Maryland. Should win both. PSU has Nova and Indiana at home. Indiana dangerous, but hopefully revenge is on PSU’s mind.

In the next couple weeks, Bama plays Ole Miss, Georgia plays Arkansas, Oregon plays Stanford, and Oklahoma plays WVU and KSU. So both Iowa and PSU could move up the rankings if others stumble.

Yeah Redemption Tour was the phrase that Chase Winovivh of Michigan said a couple years ago. Did not work out well for them.

They wanted REVENGE.

We want REDEMPTION.

We want to do better for us; not put a hit out on them.

Shaping up that way. Currently #5 vs #6 in the AP Poll. Iowa has a terrible Colorado State team next at home and a Friday night game at Maryland. Should win both. PSU has Nova and Indiana at home. Indiana dangerous, but hopefully revenge is on PSU’s mind.

In the next couple weeks, Bama plays Ole Miss, Georgia plays Arkansas, Oregon plays Stanford, and Oklahoma plays WVU and KSU. So both Iowa and PSU could move up the rankings if others stumble.
I think Maryland beats Iowa.

too much football to play to even think of that game. who says we are going to beat Nova and Indiana? not sure who Iowa has to play yet. there are no gimmes anymore - ask sPitt they lost to MAC team.

too much football to play to even think of that game. who says we are going to beat Nova and Indiana? not sure who Iowa has to play yet. there are no gimmes anymore - ask sPitt they lost to MAC team.

Ummm okkkk bro …how bout now?!!?

Too early in the season to declare it a classic. Remember how the Wisky game was hyped? TV, media etc hype this stuff and fanboys gladly gobble it up. What if both teams finish the season out of the top ten? I hope it stands the test of the season and doesn't disappoint.

Hey lazy, good call! Some of you were a little off though (calling for secondary to be exposed) ;-).

Some here are probably still stinging from the Maryland loss last year. Probably inflated the opinion of their passing game.

Demus and Jarrett are good, Tualia is decent at best if he had another last name. Iowa passed the test.

Since both teams made it, the big week is here. I feel like planting Nittany Lion logos all around the U of I campus (I'm there a lot lately). Who's with me? :)

Reactions: odshowtime
Right now I say absolutely not. The 08 game directly impacted the (fake) BCS national championship. Had we won, we (2nd best team in the country) would have played Florida (5th best team in the country) in the BCS championship game and taken them to the wood shed rather than USC (best team in the country) in the Rose Bowl. So far, that was the only game in the series that has. This one is far too early in the season to have the same impact.

find out which restroom the hot Iowa wives use. I might head out that way
Unfortunately that bathroom in Minneapolis doesn't exist anymore since they tore the Metrodome down, but I hear they put a plaque there in commemoration.

Reactions: olelion
Yes, this is the biggest game in PSU - Iowa history. Both teams undefeated and ranked in the top 5.

The next bigest game might be with Michigan on November 13. If we both stay undefeated then this game will be touted as the biggest game in Beaver Stadium history.

The Iowa - Penn State game is underrated as hell.

2002, 2008, 2009, and 2017 were all pretty much masterpieces. That's not including a ton of other close games.

Reactions: cidsports
Hate to inform him, but Iowa's awful rushing average of 3.4 yards per carry (2nd worst in b1g and 108th out of 130 FBS teams nationally) FACTUALLY has ZERO to do with how often you start in positive territory (i.e., in opponent's territory).
His main point is that if you make Iowa drive the length of the field, they generally don't score points.

This analysis says the exact same thing I've been saying - PSU is a slight probability favorite because PSU's offense, specifically PSU's Passing Game, is less of a mismatch to Iowa's Defense, whereas, Iowa's Offense is utterly mismatched versus PSU's Defense. According to the analysis, PSU's "Success Rate" in passing game is #5 in the Nation (PSU's "Success Rate" in rushing game is 91st out of 130 FBS Teams) - Overall, PSU's Offensive Success Rate is 37th Nationally (again, out of 130 FBS Teams). Iowa's Overall Offensive Success Rate is 101st of 130 FBS Programs - their Rushing Success Rate is 106th of 130 Nationally and Passing Success Rate is 80th of 130 Nationally.

Like I said in my seminal post in the Prediction Thread, the key matchup in this game is PSU's very good Pass Attack versus Iowa's very good Pass Defense. If Iowa can't contain PSU's Passing Game success, PSU will win this game easily imho. If Iowa's Defense does contain, and limit the success of, PSU's Passing Game, than this game figures to be a low-scoring defensive, field-position slugfest that could go either way based on a play here or a play there.

ADVERTISEMENT