ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest disappointments in this loss ...

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
Coaches had a bye week and chose to spend it on the recruiting trail. While relationships are essential, during the season winning is the best route to successful recruiting.

The lack of preparation showed most on offense, where we saw absolutely nothing new. That means teams that simply watch film and practice countermeasures get a strategic advantage. You can beat us with a lesser team, just watch our tendencies. We repeat them. That's the message.

This lack of offensive playbook growth during the season is a clear departure from what we did during Paterno's prime. We hear rumors of how easy it is for opponents to prepare for our games. I now believe it.

I hope the coaches get a return for the recruiting investment they made over the last two weeks. Losses like the last two can drive de-commitments. We'll know by the end of the year whether it was worth it.

My second disappointment was the officiating. Something fishy is still going on in this league. A film review of the penalty calls would confirm this. Some were over-the-top sinister. How is MSU not under sanctions? Instead they get the benefit of phantom penalties.

Coaches had a bye week and chose to spend it on the recruiting trail. While relationships are essential, during the season winning is the best route to successful recruiting.

The lack of preparation showed most on offense, where we saw absolutely nothing new. That means teams that simply watch film and practice countermeasures get a strategic advantage. You can beat us with a lesser team, just watch our tendencies. We repeat them. That's the message.

This lack of offensive playbook growth during the season is a clear departure from what we did during Paterno's prime. We hear rumors of how easy it is for opponents to prepare for our games. I now believe it.

I hope the coaches get a return for the recruiting investment they made over the last two weeks. Losses like the last two can drive de-commitments. We'll know by the end of the year whether it was worth it.

My second disappointment was the officiating. Something fishy is still going on in this league. A film review of the penalty calls would confirm this. Some were over-the-top sinister. How is MSU not under sanctions? Instead they get the benefit of phantom penalties.

your second disappointment is totally valid in my opinion. the penalty calls the 2nd and 19 that was reversed. tackling by Windsor. these were all at times to give MSU continued possessions. and yes hard to believe they never got sanctions from anyone - ncaa or bIg.

Winning is still the best recruiting tool. The proof we got one commit after the white out proves kids really don't care about those things. They take pictures, tweet it, and share pictures, but it don' matter when it comes to making a life decision.

Franklin still isn't ready for B10 football. The MSU power game took its toll. Franklin is too concerned with X's and O's and not beating the man in front of you....

The biggest disappointment personally is that I don’t enjoy watching other games (not involving Penn State) as I used to...so although I will still watch PSU, the excitement of this particular season is essentially gone.

Reactions: Pennstate4life

First part here is absurd. Every program goes on the recruiting trail during bye weeks. Plenty of GA’s and staff on hand to make sure position groups have video cut-ups to study their next opponent

I think your point about emphasis on recruiting during the bye may have merit, it's sort of the opposite of the Paterno era when recruiting took a back seat to game preparation

As for being predictable, I disagree. The Paterno era was notable for its predictable playcalling. What we're witnessing now is counterintuitive coaching.... consuming clock when you should be burning it. Not taking advantage of opponents weaknesses. Low percentage passes in short yardage situations and running plays during passing downs. It seems that Rahne sometimes over thinks things.

Reactions: sarasotan
I think your point about emphasis on recruiting during the bye may have merit, it's sort of the opposite of the Paterno era when recruiting took a back seat to game preparation

As for being predictable, I disagree. The Paterno era was notable for its predictable playcalling. What we're witnessing now is counterintuitive coaching.... consuming clock when you should be burning it. Not taking advantage of opponents weaknesses. Low percentage passes in short yardage situations and running plays during passing downs. It seems that Rahne sometimes over thinks things.

Not saying Paterno did not make predictable calls during games, but before he got too old (late 90's), the offensive playbook was a growing list of formations and plays as the season progressed. Teams feared Paterno's preparation before bowl games. I have no idea what Franklin and Rahne are doing with extra practice time, when available.

Joe would often make an overly conservative call on a critical down, and he tended to rely on field position and defense -- boring football. But that isn't the point of my post. My concern is that, with our modern offense, if you prepare for what we have shown then you are fully prepared.

Franklin still isn't ready for B10 football. The MSU power game took its toll. Franklin is too concerned with X's and O's and not beating the man in front of you....

Power game? You mean our inefficient offense who failed to get first downs and touchdowns? You mean our defense that dropped two game ending INTs on the final drive?

We let them hang around. They then slapped us. They led for a grand total of 20 seconds. And it's the final tick that counts.

Reactions: JoeFi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT