ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Wrestling Championships

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Bought our tickets yesterday. Not venting, only sharing so others can read what is happening. Wonder how PSU will do ticket sales when the event is held here next?

Again, I have no idea what the future holds, but the direction that the ticket sales process is heading is discouraging. Here's a few facts;
-- The process was handed over to Ticket Master. This resulted in the listed ticket price ($38 for the lower level) inflating to about $64 once all the fees were added. Still a value, but we paid $25 in Minny (senior rate) only 3 years ago.
-- There were no school "sections", so anyone could buy any of the remaining seats. Cheering as a "fan base" was always part of the fun, especially when we were next to or close to Iowa. Up to 2019 (Minny) that's how sections were filled -- each school assigned a section, then fans entered a code, such as "PENNST" to access our section.
-- Nebraska did hold a pre-sale, resulting in the entire middle four sections, both sides, sold out except for a few singles. Never has a single school taken so many tickets for themselves.

Bought our tickets yesterday. Not venting, only sharing so others can read what is happening. Wonder how PSU will do ticket sales when the event is held here next?

Again, I have no idea what the future holds, but the direction that the ticket sales process is heading is discouraging. Here's a few facts;
-- The process was handed over to Ticket Master. This resulted in the listed ticket price ($38 for the lower level) inflating to about $64 once all the fees were added. Still a value, but we paid $25 in Minny (senior rate) only 3 years ago.
-- There were no school "sections", so anyone could buy any of the remaining seats. Cheering as a "fan base" was always part of the fun, especially when we were next to or close to Iowa. Up to 2019 (Minny) that's how sections were filled -- each school assigned a section, then fans entered a code, such as "PENNST" to access our section.
-- Nebraska did hold a pre-sale, resulting in the entire middle four sections, both sides, sold out except for a few singles. Never has a single school taken so many tickets for themselves.
I think the writing was on the wall almost 10 years ago. As popularity of Nationals picked up, it became increasingly difficult for the little guy to get decent tickets. Once demand facilitates a business model that favors professional scalpers and other groups to snatch up huge numbers of tickets before regular joe can log-in at midnight a year before the event will even occur (and while the current year’s event is in progress, no less), forget about the good ol’ days. This is strictly a for-profit business now, with little consideration for the true fans of the sport (unless they have deep pockets). It’s the trade-off for “growing the sport”.

Similar trade-off with the B1G being so dominant. And now Ticketmaster has an interest. Watch ticket sales for this tournament follow the trail Nationals blazed. And watch all those empty seats unused until the Finals.

Reactions: nitlion6 and Ski
2019 (Minnesota) was the first sell-out, and Rutgers doesn't count since they have arena-envy.

That's pretty recent. Minny seats were easy to get, we were in the PSU section, row about 10. Their sell-out happened late, I'm guessing when they did a blitz, selling upper level for a song.

2011 (NU), 2012 (PUR), 2013 (ILL), 2014 (WIS), 2015 (tOSU), 2016 (IOWA), 2017 (IND), and 2018 (MSU) were easy-peasy, we always had great seats, same as Minny. 2022 is a different animal.

I don't think the prices are that bad. Although, I've always despised convenience fees. They just throw on fees for the sake of adding fees.
In this case, there were 9 of us going..... oh no, they will only sell 8. I tried purchasing 4 and then 5 again, no luck. Then I tried having my wife buy the other 5, but they wouldn't allow it because the address was the same. I had to call one of the others going and walk them through setting up an account and adding a credit card so they could get the other 5 tickets. PITA.

Anyway, there will be some Penn state fans in section 222.

Reactions: diggerpup
A heads up for those attending: Delta has eliminated service to Lincoln (effective Jan 10). One less option for travel.

United will be the only carrier directly to Lincoln. Next closest option is Omaha (1 hr away).

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT