ADVERTISEMENT

Football Big Ten shakes up college athletics, adds UCLA and USC ; Qoutes from Penn State officials and head coaches

Yep, wow. The B10 and the two new additions did a great job of working behind the scenes to pull this off in secrecy, with the actual announcement just shortly after the rumors began........

Impact on recruiting? The nationwide exposure, especially to the two largest media centers in the USA (NY & LA) has to be a bonus, especially in the age of NIL.
NIL will definitely be interesting in terms of recruiting battles, however, very little. Think everyone will just stick to their usual areas.

Reactions: brupsu
NIL will definitely be interesting in terms of recruiting battles, however, very little. Think everyone will just stick to their usual areas.
maybe....but a five star kid having the option to play in LA and SFO as opposed to just Auburn or Mississippi state would have to be a draw.

Suck it Pitt
you bring up a good point. SEC and ACC aren't going to just watch. I am sure they are talking about some kind of merger. ACC makes a ton in Basketball but SEC roles football. popcorn time!
0e69c478cc750b9bdf0ff31efa75622f.gif

Reactions: bourbon n blues
What will happen to Notre Dame? They're tied into the ACC. I'm thinking their independent status might be wearing thin.

I saw this earlier today. SEC and Big Ten both go to 24 teams with 6 divisions of 4--each have 8 playoff teams with the winners meeting in a bowl game (Rose or Sugar)--so basically pro football. Younger generations will love it. The older generations will probably hate it but the TV money would be insane. There was a 30 team model (6 divisions of 5) but some of that seems absurd. This seems realistic to me.

Big Ten was proposed as
1. Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers & Va Tech
2. Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern & Illinois
3. Notre Dame, Michigan State, Purdue & Indiana
4. Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska & Minnesota
5. USC, UCLA, Stanford & Arizona State
6. Oregon, Washington, Colorado & Utah

SEC was proposed as
1. Clemson, Florida State, Miami & North Carolina
2. Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss & Mississippi State
3. Georgia, Florida, Georgia Tech & South Carolina
4. Louisville, Tennessee, Kentucky & Vanderbilt (this is the only one that truly seems weak but similar to Wisconsin I guess)
5. Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State & Baylor
6. Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas & Missouri

Won't lie--there would be great games all the time if they only played their conference.

you bring up a good point. SEC and ACC aren't going to just watch. I am sure they are talking about some kind of merger. ACC makes a ton in Basketball but SEC roles football. popcorn time!
0e69c478cc750b9bdf0ff31efa75622f.gif
Believe it or not I’m not home

I saw this earlier today. SEC and Big Ten both go to 24 teams with 6 divisions of 4--each have 8 playoff teams with the winners meeting in a bowl game (Rose or Sugar)--so basically pro football. Younger generations will love it. The older generations will probably hate it but the TV money would be insane. There was a 30 team model (6 divisions of 5) but some of that seems absurd. This seems realistic to me.

Big Ten was proposed as
1. Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers & Va Tech
2. Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern & Illinois
3. Notre Dame, Michigan State, Purdue & Indiana
4. Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska & Minnesota
5. USC, UCLA, Stanford & Arizona State
6. Oregon, Washington, Colorado & Utah

SEC was proposed as
1. Clemson, Florida State, Miami & North Carolina
2. Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss & Mississippi State
3. Georgia, Florida, Georgia Tech & South Carolina
4. Louisville, Tennessee, Kentucky & Vanderbilt (this is the only one that truly seems weak but similar to Wisconsin I guess)
5. Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State & Baylor
6. Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas & Missouri

Won't lie--there would be great games all the time if they only played their conference.
That captures the best teams in the country. This could be the major leagues and the excluded teams would be the minors. Teams like pitt could try to develop the 2-star recruits while they play other lower-level teams. If one of their players starts to shine, then they could enter the portal and play for the big boys. Seems like a good model to me.

If that's the case, the ACC is toast which is pretty much a given for the PAC 12 and Big 12.

Gotta disagree. With all the recent changes recruiting will become more national. In old days kids stayed reasonably close to home .....so family could see them play, so they could go home often, pressure from homeboys to support the home team.

But now....with NIL, the open portal, and super conferences.... top kids will go further from home as they will have the money to travel. Plus they can go far away and transfer back if they are home sick or don’t fit in in some strange new area. Kids will be more likely to chase their dream and have options of the dream isn’t realized. And they can pick a far off school that will play in their home state a couple times

Add in how social media keeps kids in town with home when far away. Another factor is that with all the high school training camps these kids attend they become close friends and gravitate to schools they like.

Last edited:
If that's the case, the ACC is toast which is pretty much a given for the PAC 12 and Big 12.

After Stanford, Oregon, Clemson, and Florida State pick a new home, the leftovers in the ACC, PAC, and Big 12 should band together, split into divisions, and form the new college football minor league. They can take all the leftover 2-star recruits, try to train them up, and then watch those who do well move to the portal to play for the big boys.

It's going to be interesting to look at the pitt message board when it dawns on them that they have become the Pirates: a farm team for the big-time programs.

Last edited:
Yep. the SEC will take Florida State, Clemson, and maybe Miami from the ACC. The remaining ACC teams can merge with the MAC and become two new MAC divisions.
FSU, Clemson and Miami to the SEC and Notre Dame, Stanford, Washington and Oregon to the B1G - lotsa smoke out there right now especially with Stanford and ND to the B1G in the very near future - maybe just weeks.

Reactions: NedFromYork
FSU, Clemson and Miami to the SEC and Notre Dame, Stanford, Washington and Oregon to the B1G - lotsa smoke out there right now especially with Stanford and ND to the B1G in the very near future - maybe just weeks.
I'd be happy with that setup. Don't forget the other big news -- pitt to the MAC!

Reactions: We Are . . .
The SEC would just raid the teams they want...no "merger" needed.
Good point. I travel around different boards throughout the country and fan bases - not in the B1G and SEC - are calling both the B1G and SEC ruthless predators😊

I happen to believe both will add wrestling in 5 years because of this...many others disagree but we shall see
I don't see why they would. Wrestling is one of the most limited programs for success. Only 11 programs have ever won a title and only Penn State, Iowa, Oklahoma State, Minnesota and Ohio State have won since the 80s ended. 5 programs in 32 years...

I don't see why they would. Wrestling is one of the most limited programs for success. Only 11 programs have ever won a title and only Penn State, Iowa, Oklahoma State, Minnesota and Ohio State have won since the 80s ended. 5 programs in 32 years...
Shows how strong the conference is in that sport as 4 out of those 5 are from the B1G.

Iowa and PSU have dominated the NCAA since 1975.....especially PSU in recent years

ADVERTISEMENT