ADVERTISEMENT

Football Big Ten Media Days - James Franklin and Penn State Updates

Franklin opens his time discussing his appreciation of being here and says Penn State is coming off a good summer. All the testing numbers were good this summer.

"I love our overall depth, I think our overall depth is good as it's been in a number of years."

"I have been very very pleased with that unit and the depth we have created." - Franklin on the offensive line, also joked how they talk about it every year.

Franklin says new athletic director Pat Kraft has "jumped in with both feet" since coming to campus earlier this month.

"Got tremendous respect for Coach Brohm and Purdue University ... that will be a tremendous challenge to open the season." - Franklin on Purdue.

Franklin briefly discussed the Sean Clifford and player union rumors. Would not get into any details but appeared supportive of Clifford and players looking out for what's best for them.

"He's come in and tested really well, very athletic." - Franklin on Chop Robinson. Thinks Robinson can be very productive for Penn State and an impact player. He also noted the Nittany Lions' getting back Adisa Isaac.

"He's back and he's excited and ready to go. He wished he was ready for spring ball. He wasn't but the most important thing is he's ready for camp." - Franklin on PJ Mustipher returning from injury.

"We're blessed and fortunate to have PJ back as a leader of our defense and I think you'll guys see big things out of him this year."

That's all from Franklin. His opening statement took about 60-70% of his time so he only had time for a few questions.

I don't like opening on the road to start the season. I personally don't mind it after an opening slate of OOC home games, basically because it takes a bit of an effort for me to get to games for 4 straight weeks. What I really hate are the Thanksgiving weekend empty stadium games.

ADVERTISEMENT