ADVERTISEMENT

Football Big Ten announces historic television rights deal

Not sure I like this. CBS will air 15 Big Ten games per season including an annual Black Friday game

Worth noting that Iowa and a few other programs play a Black Friday game already annually.
That's fair. No problem with others playing it. I wouldn't care if we were on the road. One of our best assets is butts in the seats. Post Thanksgiving Saturday home games are weak, even in good years. Black Friday games, we would be lucky to get 60K actual attendance.

Wow, this is massive. Basically, mostly the B1G - and SEC - are forcing everyone else's hands. I also read an article that listed all of the major TV markets - in B1G territory - from the East to now West coast and it dwarfs any other conference including the SEC. This will only help B1G recruiting in the years to come

The only thing I don't like about this deal is the fact that Peacock will have exclusive rights to quite a few games. Sorry, but I don't want to pay even more than I do for my TV subscription to watch Penn State football and basketball.

Yes, there are more games on streaming than I would like - we'll probably be there a good bit for hoops actually. That said, Peacock is pretty cheap among streamers and many folks get it for "free" if they already have cable from Comcast.

No mention of any games being on other days than Saturdays (other than Black Friday). But I guess we'll see what leaks out. I'm optimistic that non-Saturday games will be a minimum.

Reactions: 84Lion
Cutting out ABC and ESPN has a been a long time coming. They are about the pay the piper for the rampant SEC bias. Hopefully, this is but phase one of taking back college back from the bad actors that corrupted the game during the BCS/playoff era. I doubt it but we can hope. Regardless, reducing ESPN's influence is without a doubt, the most positive thing to happen to college football in 25 years.

Wow, this is massive. Basically, mostly the B1G - and SEC - are forcing everyone else's hands. I also read an article that listed all of the major TV markets - in B1G territory - from the East to now West coast and it dwarfs any other conference including the SEC. This will only help B1G recruiting in the years to come
Maybe recruiting will be helped in relation to other conferences other than the SEC. The SEC is still top dog, and adding major TV markets and these broadcast windows will not change that.

ND will be relegated to afternoon games on NBC and Peacock and will never get a prime time slot again unless its playing a B1G team.

Maybe recruiting will be helped in relation to other conferences other than the SEC. The SEC is still top dog, and adding major TV markets and these broadcast windows will not change that.
Not arguing that point - the best HS football - overall - is definitely played in the South. But when you start adding the West coast to the conference, I have to believe that HS kids that use to consider just PAC teams will now consider teams like PSU, UM, and OSU.

And now with the B1G putting a stranglehold on the 3 major networks every Saturday, I have to believe that even some of the outstanding Southern kids will give some of the B1G teams a harder look knowing they'll constantly be getting TV exposure

Reactions: NedFromYork
That's fair. No problem with others playing it. I wouldn't care if we were on the road. One of our best assets is butts in the seats. Post Thanksgiving Saturday home games are weak, even in good years. Black Friday games, we would be lucky to get 60K actual attendance.
You're probably right with a lot of PSU students in the Philadelphia or Pittsburgh areas over break. If you think Black Friday is bad, I remember going to see us play at Pitt in 1991 on Thanksgiving Day. Attendance was 52,000 or so from what I can find. That was pretty good for Pitt Stadium, which held maybe 60k.

Reactions: JWB389
Don't know how much of a factor it is, but black Friday is the day before the 1st day of rifle deer season in Pa. I know that most of my friends and family would not be attending a football game that day.

The only thing I don't like about this deal is the fact that Peacock will have exclusive rights to quite a few games. Sorry, but I don't want to pay even more than I do for my TV subscription to watch Penn State football and basketball.
That's nothing - this means we won't have Herbie calling our games. Maybe a plus to some, but to me, it won't feel the same. What announcing crews will CBS and NBC have? Fox has Joel Klatt and Gus Johnson, I kind of like them.

I remember several PSU-Pitt games that were played on Black Friday.
No question they were a big draw at the time. I just don't think Rutgers or MSU move the needle enough to support a home game on Black Friday. I'm not sure Pitt would today either.

This is tremendous. I would expect PSU to pass on their massive windfall to their fans by reducing all prices across the board. They love and appreciate the folks that make this all possible and they will not forget why. For The Glory!

ND will be relegated to afternoon games on NBC and Peacock and will never get a prime time slot again unless its playing a B1G team.
I think you can make a pretty good argument that this helps ND stay independent. NBC will be more of a football destination for viewers and it probably makes the ND TV deal worth more money.

I think you can make a pretty good argument that this helps ND stay independent. NBC will be more of a football destination for viewers and it probably makes the ND TV deal worth more money.
I believe that. What the B1G should do is refuse to schedule them until they fully join a conference.

Reactions: LioninNC
Of the $80-$100M PSU will receive each year, I'd like to know how much of that will be funneled directly to PSU's student athletes by the Athletic Department.

Wow, those guys over on the Pitt site are a sensitive group. There is no way that they will admit how massive this deal is for B1G schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT