ADVERTISEMENT

Big Sur Fire.

Highway 1 along the Big Sur coastline was just closed. Fire has grown to over 60,000 acres.
Another update......in fact they are closing it starting tonight at 10pm until 6am tomorrow morning.
Let's hope the fire doesn't spread to Muir Woods. Those Redwoods are Red enough already!

Let's hope the fire doesn't spread to Muir Woods. Those Redwoods are Red enough already!

Muir Woods is north across the Golden Gate from San Francisco.

Big Sur is probably 150+ miles south of the Golden Gate.

Hopefully it will burn out or be contained or it'll be the biggest disaster there since 1906!

Highway 1 along the Big Sur coastline was just closed. Fire has grown to over 60,000 acres.
Another update......in fact they are closing it starting tonight at 10pm until 6am tomorrow morning.

http://www.kionrightnow.com/news/lo...e-monday-night-due-to-soberanes-fire/41107636

Hey Lion. Yea I just drove from Big Sur to Moonstone Beach earlier this evening.
You could see the smoke over the hilltops.
I could be wrong (probably am) but it looks like they are closing the road so the fire trucks can get through. They had a lot of equipment lined up.
Just so sad. What a beautiful area that was decimated because of some assholes leaving a fire unattended in an area that wasn't even supposed to have a fire. Ughhh.
Thanks for all the help and info you and LafayetteBear gave.
You guys live in a beautiful area. I'm jealous. ;)

Reactions: LionJim

Hopefully it will burn out or be contained or it'll be the biggest disaster there since 1906!

It looked better on Sat. when the wind shifted back north and was pushing it over areas that had already burned.
But Its been pretty windy the last couple of days along the coast.

Did you make it up this way today? Over the weekend the fire jumped containment lines heading towards the southwest(Big Sur). My daughter who used to live in Big Sur got an evacuation alert on her phone, at 2am. That'll wake you up. She was staying with friends in Carmel Valley.

Did you make it up this way today? Over the weekend the fire jumped containment lines heading towards the southwest(Big Sur). My daughter who used to live in Big Sur got an evacuation alert on her phone, at 2am. That'll wake you up. She was staying with friends in Carmel Valley.

No, I'm back in Chicagoland just praying for everyone....including all the hard-working people risking their lives fighting these fires.

Stay safe ML!

Can't believe how bad it has gotten. I was down there the other weekend when it just started and thought they would have had it easily contained.

Can't believe how bad it has gotten. I was down there the other weekend when it just started and thought they would have had it easily contained.
Last update has it at 67,000 acres. Very rugged territory.

I'm frankly amazed how they ever get some of these blazes under control.....rugged country, minimal roads, tinderbox conditions, high winds, lack of water.....not a good combination.

I'm frankly amazed how they ever get some of these blazes under control.....rugged country, minimal roads, tinderbox conditions, high winds, lack of water.....not a good combination.
They are doing a lot of back fires to get it under control. They did a great job saving Carmel Highlands and the White Rock area down passed Carmel Valley. I have a friend who's wife's sisters own two homes in White Rock. They were evacuated early on. The fire got to within 500 feet of their homes. In the end the firemen didn't lose a house in White Rock. The community support for the firefighters has been fantastic. There are signs all over thanking the firefighters for their efforts. The Monterey Aquarium had a fundraiser event over the weekend, for those who lost their homes. The big fear now is the homes down in Big Sur. Today the marine layer is thick. Hopefully the humid fog will help them get the upper hand down there.

Reactions: LionJim
Hey Lion. Yea I just drove from Big Sur to Moonstone Beach earlier this evening.
You could see the smoke over the hilltops.
I could be wrong (probably am) but it looks like they are closing the road so the fire trucks can get through. They had a lot of equipment lined up.
Just so sad. What a beautiful area that was decimated because of some assholes leaving a fire unattended in an area that wasn't even supposed to have a fire. Ughhh.
Thanks for all the help and info you and LafayetteBear gave.
You guys live in a beautiful area. I'm jealous. ;)
Over the weekend the winds picked up. During the first 2 weeks of the fire the winds stayed down. Then there was a weather shift with winds coming down from the north. That pushed the fire to the southwest towards Big Sur and highway 1. I think they are just being cautious by temporarily closing down 1. Like I said the Peninsula has been crawling with firetrucks.

Over the weekend the winds picked up. During the first 2 weeks of the fire the winds stayed down. Then there was a weather shift with winds coming down from the north. That pushed the fire to the southwest towards Big Sur and highway 1. I think they are just being cautious by temporarily closing down 1. Like I said the Peninsula has been crawling with firetrucks.

Stay safe Monterey. Any rain in the forecast to help?

It might rain some time about mid late October. In other words...no rain in sight. Sigh.

CpbXNWRUsAACN_Z.jpg

Flew over it this morning and hardly noticed much of anything but marine layer. Outstanding job by the crews to corral a nasty devil at this time year.

It might rain some time about mid late October. In other words...no rain in sight. Sigh.

@MonereyLion, @LafayetteBear
How are things going with the fire?
Got back to Baltimore last night and its like 112º here, wish I was back there. LOL.
Although I had to alter a lot of my trip I still had a great time and appreciate all the info
you guys gave me.

I do have a question though....
I was hiking in San Simeon St. Park and saw these pine trees with all this stuff that almost looks like spanish moss hanging from them.
Can you tell me what it is?
Its green but very dry and thin.
Between that and the bark falling of the Eucalyptus trees the whole place is a
freaking tinder box.
Did another hike off of Highway 1, close to the Ragged Point Inn, and wow that is some rugged country. Much respect for those firefighters, they really are heroes.

Heres a link to the stuff on the tree...

Here's a link to some of the other pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/60907528@N02/albums/72157672346145415/with/28648179800/

@MonereyLion, @LafayetteBear
How are things going with the fire?
Got back to Baltimore last night and its like 112º here, wish I was back there. LOL.
Although I had to alter a lot of my trip I still had a great time and appreciate all the info
you guys gave me.

I do have a question though....
I was hiking in San Simeon St. Park and saw these pine trees with all this stuff that almost looks like spanish moss hanging from them.
Can you tell me what it is?
Its green but very dry and thin.
Between that and the bark falling of the Eucalyptus trees the whole place is a
freaking tinder box.
Did another hike off of Highway 1, close to the Ragged Point Inn, and wow that is some rugged country. Much respect for those firefighters, they really are heroes.

Heres a link to the stuff on the tree...

Here's a link to some of the other pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/60907528@N02/albums/72157672346145415/with/28648179800/
The fire is up to 70,000 acres now and 55% contained. Yesterday was the smokiest day so far. Winds had turned, coming up out of the south. Blowing the smoke right up over the Peninsula. All of the hills were completely blocked from sight. On TV last night they talked about closing down route 1 completely, soon. I think they are getting ready for another wind change. That's when the fire pushes into new territory. Yeah that land down there is very rugged. That's why it takes so much effort to get it under control. Yes, that looks like Spanish moss. Years ago when I was a kid, we lived on Fort Ord. There was a lot of that in the back woods of Fort Ord. We get so much fog at night that encourages it's growth. They are still on schedule to claim 100% containment by August 31st.

The fire is now 72,000 acres and is 60% contained. They are closing highway 1 at Big Sur this afternoon for at least 24 hours. I guess the fire is getting very close to Big Sur.
They continue to do back fires to control it. Firefighters fighting it has dropped to 4200.

They've made good progress on the Big Sur fire over the weekend. They set several backfires all the way down to highway 1(which they closed). Supposedly these backfires
will keep the fire out of Big Sur itself. There are a number of fires that have started here in California recently. The worst is the Clayton fire which burnt 170 houses over the weekend. It was started by an arsonist, whom they caught. He needs to go away for life.
VIDEO: Man arrested for starting massive Clayton Fire in Lake County, facing 17 counts of arson
http://kron4.com/2016/08/15/cal-fire-clayton-fire-caused-by-arson-suspect/

They've made good progress on the Big Sur fire over the weekend. They set several backfires all the way down to highway 1(which they closed). Supposedly these backfires
will keep the fire out of Big Sur itself. There are a number of fires that have started here in California recently. The worst is the Clayton fire which burnt 170 houses over the weekend. It was started by an arsonist, whom they caught. He needs to go away for life.
VIDEO: Man arrested for starting massive Clayton Fire in Lake County, facing 17 counts of arson

A shame they literally don't tie him to a post and burn his ass until he's nothing but ash.

Instead they'll put him away for ten years where he'll cost taxpayers ANOTHER million dollars.

Sorry, what a waste.

Reactions: lionroar88

Glad they are getting the Big Sur fire under control.
As for the Serial Arsonist...INMO he's nothing more than a domestic Terrorist and
frankly should be executed.

Reactions: lionroar88
Fire is now 81,000 acres and still 60% contained. Containment date has been move back from August 31st to September 30th.

It's worse in San Bernardino. That one is only 20% contained. I live in so cal and was impacted by a May 2014 Fire in Carlsbad, Ca. It is the most helpless feeling as it approaches....

Smokes plumes are massive from our house. They focused on Hearst Castle but I think the fire shifted east as a result of winds. Have a few friends out near Running Deer that are very nervous.

I live about a mile from Paso airport. 3 helicopters with buckets, a DC 9 and two small jets landed and took off as I BBQ tonight. Not particularly unusual for the planes but the choppers are different. Heard Oak Shores in Naciemento was under an evacuation alert.

How is Sobranes Fire?

Smokes plumes are massive from our house. They focused on Hearst Castle but I think the fire shifted east as a result of winds. Have a few friends out near Running Deer that are very nervous.

I live about a mile from Paso airport. 3 helicopters with buckets, a DC 9 and two small jets landed and took off as I BBQ tonight. Not particularly unusual for the planes but the choppers are different. Heard Oak Shores in Naciemento was under an evacuation alert.

How is Sobranes Fire?
Soberanes Fire is now 85,000 acres and still 60% contained. Last weekend they did several critical burns near Big Sur that helped contain it there. The fire continues to burn to the southeast in open rugged territory. Estimated containment has been moved back to Sept 30th. In fact it won't be put out until the rainy season begins. The Forest Service(The Feds) have taken over command of fighting the fire, from Cal Fire. The smoke was better today. However, day to day it changes. One day it's OK, the next day it's really bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT