ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 ADs had an emergency meeting

They better be looking at either landing spots for their teams or viable, but plan B and C additions to the conference. SMU and Houston and Colorado State and Tulsa may be calling on them soon. It'll be another AAC, claiming unrecognized respectability.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
They better be looking at either landing spots for their teams or viable, but plan B and C additions to the conference. SMU and Houston and Colorado State and Tulsa may be calling on them soon. It'll be another AAC, claiming unrecognized respectability.
I saw an article that mentioned UCF, BYU, Cincinnati, and 1 other team (name escapes me) as possible additions if UT & OK move on.

Reactions: Bob78
I saw an article that mentioned UCF, BYU, Cincinnati, and 1 other team (name escapes me) as possible additions if UT & OK move on.
They are likely looking at most of the westernmost AAC and many from other confs. UCF probably has better options down the road, such as ACC or even SEC depending on how far this goes. But to keep any variation of the BigXII viable, they will have to be open-minded and creative. Not sure they can maintain a P5 football status, though, without their 2 big guns.

I keep seeing Big 5 conferences mentioned. How long until the number of relevant conferences sinks even further?

UT abd OK refused to participate.

That kinda makes sense when you consider that the events that are happening aren't an emergency for UT and OK.

I can't imagine what it must be like for the others in this emergency meeting. On one hand they're scheming and figuring on what to do to keep things together but OTOH every single one of them would skip out on the conference for something better in a second if they could even if it would hurt the others, and on top of that every single one of them knows every other one of them is thinking it too. It must be like a bunch of crooks doing a big robbery together while knowing that any of them will steal all the money from the rest and run away if they get the chance.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
The writing has been on the wall for years. Eventually, there will be four super conferences all consisting of at least 20 teams. Either the ACC or the Big XII being the weakest and most isolated would fall after being carved up by the Big Ten and the SEC. While the ACCs grant of rights agreement runs through the middle of the next decade no serious lawyer believes it will stand a legal challenge as there are simply too many public schools whose states did not approve it. Bottom line, at least six ACC schools signed an agreement that they almost certainly didn't have the legal authority to sign. With that said, it may become a moot point as the the Big XII was always the most likely to be carved up.

If I were an ACC decision maker, I would be seriously proactive right now and look to get ahead of the game and realign the conference immediately before you are left with what ever is left. I would be looking to Give Penn State whatever I could to get them to switch to the ACC and get Notre Dame on board full time. There are too many schools and conferences jealous over the fact that they have been able to maintain their independence over the years. Just imagine an East Coast conference that stretches mostly from Miami to Boston well aligned geographically with Boston College, Syracuse, Penn State, Pitt, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Maryland (who would rejoin), Virginia, Virginia Tech and Cincinnati in the north and North Carolina, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, Central Florida and maybe a school like South Carolina who would no longer be able to be competitive in the SEC East with the dissolution of the Big XII?

ADVERTISEMENT