ADVERTISEMENT

"Better Call Saul" returns tomorrow night on AMC at 9:00.

Just getting caught up on this show on the DVR and man am I glad it's back. Like Breaking Bad, this is now a show I just can't get enough of. Vince Gilligan has another home run on his hands and I'm loving his work in terms of writing, cinematography, choice of music, etc. His attention to detail is simply amazing.

But the hallmark of the show was the Kim/Howard confrontation. FABULOUS acting from Rhea Seehorn. She nails restrained, seething anger like I've never seen before.

Absolutely agree. Rhea's acting was tremendous in that scene.

What a waste of a perfectly good classic 442.
Yes, but they did have to make the setup believable. They did have Nacho leave the car before shooting him the second time so he wouldn't bleed on the upholstery, considerate of them.

Kim is losing it.

The story about the Hummel figurine, I don't think it's over. There's been too much work put into developing what is basically a stupid story for Gilligan and Gould to not try to keep this particular ball rolling.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Yes, but they did have to make the setup believable. They did have Nacho leave the car before shooting him the second time so he wouldn't bleed on the upholstery, considerate of them.

Kim is losing it.

The story about the Hummel figurine, I don't think it's over. There's been too much work put into developing what is basically a stupid story for Gilligan and Gould to not try to keep this particular ball rolling.
I think he left his glove in the display case

Reactions: Bob78
I just watched two minutes at 3:30. IMHO, it is low life designed to entertain low life.
Mary, so unlike you.

This show, like Breaking Bad, shows how a "series of unfortunate events" leads to someone turning bad and justifying it to themselves. Jimmy, who has been known to color outside the lines, has an opportunity to make something of his life. His only relative, brother, turns on him and allows "the system" to take a dump on his life. Meanwhile, his GF, who is one of the few who sees good in Jimmy, is trying to save him in and amongst her own doubts and frailties. It unfolds over several seasons and the producer is making it a "slow burn". By that I mean it is a slow moving plot with a lot of drama not unlike a good Hitchcock movie.

Since it is a spin off of breaking bad, Jimmy was the star's lawyer/fixer on that show. Jimmy, we know, gets deeply involved in the drug business. So we see the slow burn of the internal power struggles of the drug wars. The drug people will intertwine with Jimmy and Mike and Kim and the rest at some point. I imagine you may have seen the one guy get shot by the drug ring and that is what turned you off.

If you haven't seen breaking bad...or you haven't seen the first three seasons of Better Call Saul, it won't seem very good at all.

But for me, it is an awesome show in four categories:
  • Awesome writing and character development
  • Awesome production/directing. Very dramatic and intense
  • Awesome review of how drug cartels work
  • Awesome review of the complexities of life and how happenstance leads to conclusions in the craziest of ways. its a great study to mitigate "judgement" because all of out paths, our experiences, our vulnerabilities, shape our lives.
I really know of no other two shows, Saul and Breaking Bad, that have this kind of depth.

Mary, so unlike you.

This show, like Breaking Bad, shows how a "series of unfortunate events" leads to someone turning bad and justifying it to themselves. Jimmy, who has been known to color outside the lines, has an opportunity to make something of his life. His only relative, brother, turns on him and allows "the system" to take a dump on his life. Meanwhile, his GF, who is one of the few who sees good in Jimmy, is trying to save him in and amongst her own doubts and frailties. It unfolds over several seasons and the producer is making it a "slow burn". By that I mean it is a slow moving plot with a lot of drama not unlike a good Hitchcock movie.

Since it is a spin off of breaking bad, Jimmy was the star's lawyer/fixer on that show. Jimmy, we know, gets deeply involved in the drug business. So we see the slow burn of the internal power struggles of the drug wars. The drug people will intertwine with Jimmy and Mike and Kim and the rest at some point. I imagine you may have seen the one guy get shot by the drug ring and that is what turned you off.

If you haven't seen breaking bad...or you haven't seen the first three seasons of Better Call Saul, it won't seem very good at all.

But for me, it is an awesome show in four categories:
  • Awesome writing and character development
  • Awesome production/directing. Very dramatic and intense
  • Awesome review of how drug cartels work
  • Awesome review of the complexities of life and how happenstance leads to conclusions in the craziest of ways. its a great study to mitigate "judgement" because all of out paths, our experiences, our vulnerabilities, shape our lives.
I really know of no other two shows, Saul and Breaking Bad, that have this kind of depth.

I would only add that The Wire is the other show I've seen that fits those 4 categories.

okay why did Kim spend so much time looking at the bank models?
and why did Kim get so upset at the end?
TIA

Reactions: BBrown
I would only add that The Wire is the other show I've seen that fits those 4 categories.
I've heard so many great reviews....but I tried to watch season one and got distracted. So many good shows on TV now between HBO, Netflix and Amazon. Man in the High Castle, House of Cards, Ozark, Jack Ryan, Orange is the New Black all set to have new seasons drop in the next couple of months. Catastrophe as well.

Orange is the New Black is an interesting character study as well. Shows how the system can make people bad and how one needs to "align" or conform to survive. My problem is I felt like I had to shower after episodes. My wife still watches but I bailed out after season two.

TIA
My take is that Kim was having a "is that all there is to life?" moment. Just a theory. Kim was upset at Jimmy's lack of emotion. She sees a change in him and wonders if he is turning on her too. At a time when she is most vulnerable, she is losing her battle to save Jimmy.

Reactions: PSUSignore
I've heard so many great reviews....but I tried to watch season one and got distracted. So many good shows on TV now between HBO, Netflix and Amazon. Man in the High Castle, House of Cards, Ozark, Jack Ryan, Orange is the New Black all set to have new seasons drop in the next couple of months. Catastrophe as well.

Orange is the New Black is an interesting character study as well. Shows how the system can make people bad and how one needs to "align" or conform to survive. My problem is I felt like I had to shower after episodes. My wife still watches but I bailed out after season two.

I lot of those I haven't seen since I don't have those streaming services or HBO.
Maybe its because I live in Balto. but The Wire was pretty much note perfect.
I forget which season they deal with the School System (4 maybe) but it was spot on.
And the rise of the Carcetti (The Mayor on The Wire) was just straight out of the Baltimore City Counsel playbook. LOL.

TIA
I think she is looking at the bank models so long because she realizing how quickly the bank wants to expand and how unprepared mentally she is to handle the work load that is going to come with such quick expansion.

I believe Kim is upset at the end because she is realizing that Jimmy is broken when he reads what should be a very emotional letter from his brother so matter of factly and without emotion. She is realizing what we know is coming with respect to Jimmy.

I lot of those I haven't seen since I don't have those streaming services or HBO.
Maybe its because I live in Balto. but The Wire was pretty much note perfect.
I forget which season they deal with the School System (4 maybe) but it was spot on.
And the rise of the Carcetti (The Mayor on The Wire) was just straight out of the Baltimore City Counsel playbook. LOL.

I ask the same question about Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad as I did about The Wire:

why do I want to feel such hopelessness, even if it is accurate?

one thing The Wire did so well was demonstrate ALL these supposed safety nets of society, and how they utterly fail in the face of a drug epidemic

neither did Kim, it seemed

No I think she knows that he flat out made it up and thats what she was so upset about, that he couldn't even be honest with her.
Inevitably Kim leaves, we know that from Breaking Bad. My guess is this is the start and she goes off onto what is going to be a HUGE venture with Mesa Verde. I'm going to miss her.

Reactions: Nitt1300
No I think she knows that he flat out made it up and thats what she was so upset about, that he couldn't even be honest with her.
Inevitably Kim leaves, we know that from Breaking Bad. My guess is this is the start and she goes off onto what is going to be a HUGE venture with Mesa Verde. I'm going to miss her.
One of the things I've appreciated about both shows is that the writers keep the characters true to themselves, so you don't see them doing things that you know they wouldn't do.

Chuck HATED Jimmy, blamed him for their father's business failure and death- so no way did he write what Jimmy said he did. I hope they show us the "real" letter at some point, and I have a feeling they will.

Kim is able to dance out on the edge from time to time, but at her core she is an ethical person- so no way can she stay with Jimmy when he goes south, and we know that's where he's going.

Jimmy offered the letter to Kim to read; she said no.

Why is she crying? Because she’s realized that it was Chuck who kept Slippin’ Jimmy in check and with Chuck gone she’s going to lose Jimmy.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and BBrown
Chuck HATED Jimmy, blamed him for their father's business failure and death- so no way did he write what Jimmy said he did. I hope they show us the "real" letter at some point, and I have a feeling they will.

While it is entirely possible that the letter said something different, I do not believe that to be the case. I believe the letter was written while Jimmy was working in the mail room. At that time, Chuck was proud of Jimmy. It wasn't until Jimmy became a lawyer that Chuck became "anti-Jimmy" again.

Further, I don't believe Chuck hated Jimmy. I believe jealousy drove Chuck's behavior toward's Jimmy. I believe in Chuck's warped mind, he loved Jimmy but he convinced himself that Jimmy shouldn't be an attorney and that Jimmy needed tough love. While Chuck said and did many mean things to Jimmy, I think he regretted doing those things after the fact. The last fight he had with Jimmy and the guilt he felt afterwords is really what led to his ultimate breakdown.

Reactions: BBrown and LionJim
While it is entirely possible that the letter said something different, I do not believe that to be the case. I believe the letter was written while Jimmy was working in the mail room. At that time, Chuck was proud of Jimmy. It wasn't until Jimmy became a lawyer that Chuck became "anti-Jimmy" again.

Further, I don't believe Chuck hated Jimmy. I believe jealousy drove Chuck's behavior toward's Jimmy. I believe in Chuck's warped mind, he loved Jimmy but he convinced himself that Jimmy shouldn't be an attorney and that Jimmy needed tough love. While Chuck said and did many mean things to Jimmy, I think he regretted doing those things after the fact. The last fight he had with Jimmy and the guilt he felt afterwords is really what led to his ultimate breakdown.

As he was reading it I was wondering when it was written and I think you are correct. It doesn't mention anything at all about Jimmy becoming a lawyer.

I think I'll disagree with your last part though. Wasn't he fixing dinner and listening to music after he talked to Jimmy? I thought it wasn't until Howard came over that Chuck "snapped".

maxresdefault.jpg

Oooo...Breaking Bad...the best TV show since The Wire.

As he was reading it I was wondering when it was written and I think you are correct. It doesn't mention anything at all about Jimmy becoming a lawyer.

I think I'll disagree with your last part though. Wasn't he fixing dinner and listening to music after he talked to Jimmy? I thought it wasn't until Howard came over that Chuck "snapped".
It was Howard telling Chuck that he was willing to spend $3 million of his own money to buy Chuck out that was the tipping point.

Reactions: Nitt1300 and BBrown
I just watched two minutes at 3:30. IMHO, it is low life designed to entertain low life.
Forgive us. It's hard for us low lifes to live up to the standards of someone as good and pure as yourself.

Now back to the golden girls.

You can’t just pick up where the show is now, you’d have to start with the first season. It would probably help to see Breaking Bad first.

Reactions: WestSideLion
ADVERTISEMENT