ADVERTISEMENT

Best wrestling movie ever?

cdd45ca1-a486-4c7e-88cf-be31c50f1f7d.jpg

Reactions: Dogwelder
I vaguely remember an Oscar-winning wrestling movie. Help me recall the name. I seem to recall the main conflict was Bryan Adams and Sting vs Bryan Adams and Sting. ;) :)

• Haha
Reactions: danoftw and PASLP2
I don't know if I would call it the best wrestling movie ever, but I thought "Legendary" was pretty good. I loved the part when the mom, reluctant to support her youngest son's endeavor to follow in the family wrestling tradition, finally came to one of his matches and went full-blown screaming wrestling mom.

I'd probably call "The Wrestler" the best if we're including "pro" wrestling.

The Flo docs on Terry and Kolat were also quite good.

How about Foxcatcher. Vision Quest was great but not realistic wrestling. We are lead to believe that Matthew Modine in his second year of wrestling is planning to win the state tourney and has to suck weight to meet Shute who looks like a monster.

How about Foxcatcher. Vision Quest was great but not realistic wrestling. We are lead to believe that Matthew Modine in his second year of wrestling is planning to win the state tourney and has to suck weight to meet Shute who looks like a monster.
Owings

Mark Schultz

Ironic that one of the key wrestlers in the Foxcatcher movie / tragedy you cite actually won a state championship in only his second year of wrestling (and after going 4-6 in his first).

Last edited:
Has anyone see the movie (more of a doc) called Takedowns & Falls? I believe it follows the CD Rams team during their 4 year reign at team state.
I enjoyed that movie. The part I most remember is that after the state tournament, Peppelman suddenly realized and said, “that was the only tournament we won all year.”

Edit: Also, I seem to recall that the movie was shot when the team was not really expected to win the team title. So it must’ve followed the first year of their reign.

Last edited:

Great movie that flew under the radar.

Reactions: hlstone
Great movie that flew under the radar.

So great it would be worth mentioning in ~eight posts in this thread! :)

Last edited:
Has anyone see the movie (more of a doc) called Takedowns & Falls? I believe it follows the CD Rams team during their 4 year reign at team state.
I own that movie, though I only watched it once, a long time ago. Don't remember much, but a few things stood out. The guys came to practice or they didn't. Geez, my HS team had a guy miss one practice and he had to apologize to the team and sit out a meet. But CD found a formula and it worked for quite a while ---- mastering those dumps and throwing those tilts. They were the dominent force in PA wrestling for years, but they were pretty casual about practicing.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Guys, I cannot be more serious. If a good director ever made a movie of my HS coach’s novel, “Dirty Dogs”, by Boss Morgan, it would be the greatest wrestling movie ever. Especially for wrestlers. Because it is the one story that feels most real to wrestlers, in essence and in detail, and it has surprising, deep depth and substance, and it is fast paced and fun and raunchy in the pulp-fiction sense. You can read the start of it on Amazon, by clicking on the “look inside” button. (I don’t love the opening paragraph, and some dialogue could be better, but the book’s spirit, and fast pace, and fun, and heart are just wonderful.) If I could figure out how, I would buy a free book for five frequent posters, Kindle or paperback.

Amazon product ASIN B01BQJ0VBG

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Problem is, you can't teach wrestlers like David Taylor or Bo Nickal how to act, and you can't teach actors how to wrestle like David Taylor or Bo Nickal.
Yet you can teach a monkey to take out the garbage. I just don't get it lol

Let's be honest here. Ok I'll be honest here. The best part of vision quest is the girl hands down. The wrestling not so much lol. I'm kidding

Looks like a less buffed blond haired Desanto to me. I'll try to catch it this week.

ADVERTISEMENT