ADVERTISEMENT

Best Wrestler (ever) from each D1 Wrestling Program in PA

I may as well throw my two cents in here for Gettysburg, my alma mater:
Joe Bavaro was a 2x NCAA College division champ, and a 2x NCAA University division finalist. He lost in the finals to an Iowa State kid on a Ref's decision in OT and believe me, he was screwed. He was the most brutal leg man I've seen except for Zane. How he would have loved that bow and arrow. Bavaro tortured guys with his legs. His closest match before the NCAA finals one year was when he was almost DQ'd for unnecessary roughness.

One of the wrestlers in Bavaro's bracket in '65 was Bobby Douglas, Cael's future coach. Douglas got a med DQ to future champ Bill Blacksmith of Lock Haven (Cedar Cliff). Then Blacksmith got decked by Bavaro in the next round in OT.

Last edited:
He won the college division title and dnp'd at the university division tournament in both years.

Wouldn't Nip Brown be the best ever from F&M? He AA'd twice at D1.
Thanks for clarifying this. I would agree Nip Brown probably has the edge to be called best ever from F&M.

Chris Black was seeded 3rd in 1972, but lost in the 2nd round to eventual finalist Chris Quigley of Illinois State. He didn't qualify for the wrestle backs. So he was 1 and 1 and out.
In '71 he was seeded 7th and won his first two bouts before losing to a kid from UCLA, would you believe? Again he didn't qualify for the wrestle backs.
You can't lose to a finalist and not qualify for wrestle backs. He MFF in the wrestle backs in 1972.

You can't lose to a finalist and not qualify for wrestle backs. He MFF in the wrestle backs in 1972.
Thanks. I was wondering about that, but the brackets I saw didn't give any reason for the placement in the consolation bracket (or lack, thereof).

Admittedly, I misunderstood the F&M record book. In hindsight, I prob should have gone with:

F&M: Albert Schacheman
2x AA (3rd and 3rd)

That said, I’m happy the mistake was made as it brought back memories to some.

Thanks. I was wondering about that, but the brackets I saw didn't give any reason for the placement in the consolation bracket (or lack, thereof).
He separated his shoulder against Quigley in his 2nd match of the championship round. It popped back in so he finished the match but decided to hang it up for the wrestle backs. When I saw the same thing happen to Mekhi Lewis two years ago, I felt really bad for him. He was really hurting but gutted it out.

You talking about the mangy moose?
Never heard of the buffalo place must have been a while ago. Mangy moose was a bar that burned down fight beside the motorcycle club. Lot of nice places to eat in Clinton county. If your in mill hall try the new floating feather brewery. Owned by a wrestler lol

Reactions: oldcougar65
My great evening of wrestling was capped off with a burger at the Buffalo Inn. Does it still exist?
It only exists in memory. When born and raised locals my age still reference that area in conversation it’s "by the old Buffalo Inn". Just some apartments and a couple small businesses in there now.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ESS wasn't division 1 at the time of Jack Cuvo?
ESSC /ESU was division 1 when Cuvo was there. He lost to Bonomo in year(s) he didn't win it.
ESU dropped Division 1 around the time when head coach Dom Digimonio? (Bloomsburg 167 pounder) got in Sandusky like trouble.

Last edited:
I can't argue on the Lehigh Caruso selection but a honorable mention has to be Daryl Burley. Won Nationals Freshman and Senior year. I think he only had 5 losses in career all to National Champs. Wrestled a lot of career with severe wrist injury that maybe was the difference of 3 or 4 titles. He was a scoring machine.

ESSC /ESU was division 1 when Cuvo was there. He lost to Bonomo in year(s) he didn't win it.
ESU dropped Division 1 around the time when head coach Dom Digimonio? (Bloomsburg 167 pounder) got in Sandusky like trouble.
DiGioacchino. Believe he got arrested 4 or 5 years after he got fired from ESU. I never liked that guy.

Nobody over Schalles as far as I'm concerned. In fact the only guys I have over Schalles, period, are Cael, Gable, and Smith.
John Smith has the post collegiate record necessary to be considered the GOAT, Cael has the overall record to be considered the GOAT and Gable's legend demands his consideration. With that said, considering they would all wrestle Schalles with respect but no fear I think peak against peak Schalles pins them all.

Last edited:
Gettysburg College circa 1967, Joe Bavaro, Small College NCAA champ, winners invited to NCAA championship, lost in NCAA finals believe to Iowa wrestler in double OT, referee's decision, my recall
Actually, it was 1965. Bivo lost to Veryl Long of Iowa State on a ref's decision in OT with the score tied 5-5. I saw the bout and Bavaro had Long on his back and should have gotten the call. But: it's 1965, you're a ref and you've got to choose between Iowa State and Gettysburg. Long was a PA state champ from Trinity HS, I think, that went in the army and went to college when he came back.
In '66 Joe lost to a Michigan's Dick Cook in the NCAA University finals, 3-0.

Reactions: mcpat and danoftw
The title wasn't best college wrestler. Even if it were, Angle is the choice except for those who think all of those pins > an additional NCAA finals.

Schalles also never qualified for a senior world team.

To summarize their careers:
- Schalles: 2x NCAA champ, pinned a LOT of opponents, zero senior world teams
- Angle: 2x NCAA champ, NCAA runner-up, 1993 Yarygin champ, 1995 World Champ, 1996 Olympic Champ.

Schalles for style, Angle for substance.

Last edited:
Don't forget schalles wasn't allowed to wrestle NCAA his senior year which most likely would have been his third d1 title.

Reactions: Antaeus
The title wasn't best college wrestler. Even if it were, Angle is the choice except for those who think all of those pins > an additional NCAA finals.

Schalles also never qualified for a senior world team.

To summarize their careers:
- Schalles: 2x NCAA champ, pinned a LOT of opponents, zero senior world teams
- Angle: 2x NCAA champ, NCAA runner-up, 1993 Yarygin champ, 1995 World Champ, 1996 Olympic Champ.

Schalles for style, Angle for substance.
It’s a close call and that’s why it’s fun to put it out there on a discussion board. As someone else pointed out, for this exercise I put a lot of weight into their post collegiate freestyle careers and it’s hard to argue over an Olympic and World Gold Medalist, no matter how much I like the spladle. Same reason I went with Slay instead of Valenti for UPENN.

But I love the discussion.

It would be fun to do the same for each high school District in PA. I spent about an hour on that recently, but there’s just not enough out there for someone like me that knows District 3 well, and can read up on Districts 1 and 7, but not so much on the others.

Schalles was defnitely the better folkstyle wrestler, I can't believe people are even arguing that.

Reactions: mcpat
It’s a close call and that’s why it’s fun to put it out there on a discussion board. As someone else pointed out, for this exercise I put a lot of weight into their post collegiate freestyle careers and it’s hard to argue over an Olympic and World Gold Medalist, no matter how much I like the spladle. Same reason I went with Slay instead of Valenti for UPENN.

But I love the discussion.

It would be fun to do the same for each high school District in PA. I spent about an hour on that recently, but there’s just not enough out there for someone like me that knows District 3 well, and can read up on Districts 1 and 7, but not so much on the others.
Who's the best wrestler in Benton history: 4x PIAA champ John Hughes, or 3x NCAA champ Zain Retherford?

Depends on the exact question asked.

Who's the best wrestler in Benton history: 4x PIAA champ John Hughes, or 3x NCAA champ Zain Retherford?

Depends on the exact question asked.
Funny. I was looking at that the other day. I started at high school… then county… then district… and then I gave up. Easton was another tough one.

Wade is one of those guys who I wish there was more tape of from his college career. To the best of my knowledge, he was funky decades before funky even became a thing. Having chatted up an old teammate of his on another message board, he was also a helluva prankster when he was in school

Reactions: mcpat
Wade is one of those guys who I wish there was more tape of from his college career. To the best of my knowledge, he was funky decades before funky even became a thing. Having chatted up an old teammate of his on another message board, he was also a helluva prankster when he was in school
He was absolutely brutal. A pinning machine and on top of all that he basically invented funky.

One time at a home match, wade put a piece of tape on the mat to mark where he was going to pin his opponent. And yes he pinned him right on that spot
He also told people HOW to pin other wrestlers...regular season match at rec hall he showed Jerry White a move in the tunnel and White went our and used that exact move to pin a kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT