ADVERTISEMENT

Best Teams From Wrestlers of 2000s...

androcles

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2003
...TOM has started a series choosing each school's best wrestlers of the 2000-2018 years...
...a Lehigh fan has offered the following lineup as Lehigh's best:
125 - Cruz
133 - Beckman
141 - Cooperman
149 - Esposito
157 - Zinck
165 - Letters
174 - Hamlin
184 - Rohn
197 - Trenge
Hvy - Rey

...I propose for Penn State...
125 - Hunter
133 - Megaludis
141 - Molinaro
149 - Retherford
157 - Nolf
165 - Taylor
174 - Ruth
184 - Nickal
197 - Wright
Hwt - Cummins
... I think we might be able to emerge victorious in a dual meet... :)

Yep no, Nico at 133! But 141-197 is incredible with continuous overlap and where will Joseph and Hall go after they graduate with possibly 4 and 3 titles? The pipeline has been incredible when u stop and think about it. Any general weakness has been at the lower weights and 285. But, that looks like it might be changing...

Amazing to have watched the Cael era.
First yr, red shirts.
Then win four.
Next year, redshirts.
Then win four?

Could it be 8 champions in 10 yrs? Yep!

Is 2019/20 another redshirt year loading up for four more?

Last edited:
You can put together a pretty awesome team under these rules. I was just running UNI through my head and we're instant title contenders this season!

Yep no, Nico at 133! But 141-197 is incredible with continuous overlap and where will Joseph and Hall go after they graduate with possibly 4 and 3 titles? The pipeline has been incredible when u stop and think about it. Any general weakness has been at the lower weights and 285. But, that looks like it might be changing...

Amazing to have watched the Cael era.
First yr, red shirts.
Then win four.
Next year, redshirts.
Then win four?

Could it be 8 champions in 10 yrs? Yep!

Is 2019/20 another redshirt year loading up for four more?
There is no need to do a reset in 2019-20. Just guessing, but I doubt we see another during the Cael era.
Next year they will put their best team out there and let it rip.

Reactions: dunkej01 and Ja1339
125: Dylan Peters 2x AA
133: Joe Colon 1x AA
141: Dylan Long 1x AA (Finalist)
149: Tony Davis 2x AA (Two time finalist, one time champ)
157: David Bonin 1x AA (Tough call, as Fay and Nick Baima also were at 157 for one year).
165: Moza Fay 2x AA
174: Eric Hauan 2x AA (Is a Lutheran pastor here in Iowa today)
184: Ryan Loder 1x AA (Many might say Kyle Hanson, who was a 2x AA, but Loder has more wins and a higher winning percentage. Plus, Loder was just better).
197: Sean Stender 3x AA (Finalist)
285: Paul Hynek 2x AA

Glaring omissions: Nick Baima (UNI's best wrestler to never AA), Kyle Hanson, Randy Pugh, Joey Lazor, Max Thomsen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
125: Dylan Peters 2x AA
133: Joe Colon 1x AA
141: Dylan Long 1x AA (Finalist)
149: Tony Davis 2x AA (Two time finalist, one time champ)
157: David Bonin 1x AA
165: Moza Fay 2x AA
174: Eric Hauan 2x AA (Is a Lutheran pastor here in Iowa today)
184: Ryan Loder 1x AA (Many might say Kyle Hanson, who was a 2x AA, but Loder has more wins and a higher winning percentage. Plus, Loder was just better).
197: Sean Stender 3x AA (Finalist)
285: Paul Hynek 2x AA
Instant Big 12 title contenders. NCAA not so much

This season is still going to unfold at certain weights, but this is pretty much what UNI will look like this year. Most weights will look familiar to most of you.

125: Jay Schwarm
133: Jack Wagner or Jack Skudlarcyzk (He only made the lineup once last season, but Rudy Yates has left UNI).
141: Josh Alber or Jake Koethe
149: Max Thomsen
157: Logan Ryan or Paden Moore or Dan Kelly or Isaiah Patton
165: Bryce Steiert
174: Taylor Lujan (Funkmaster Flex)
184: Drew Foster
197: Jacob Holschlag or Keegan Moore
285: Carter Isley

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
This season is still going to unfold at certain weights, but this is pretty much what UNI will look like this year. Most weights will look familiar to most of you.

125: Jay Schwarm
133: Jack Wagner or Jack Skudlarcyzk (He only made the lineup once last season, but Rudy Yates has left UNI).
141: Josh Alber or Jake Koethe
149: Max Thomsen
157: Logan Ryan or Paden Moore or Dan Kelly or Isaiah Patton
165: Bryce Steiert
174: Taylor Lujan (Funkmaster Flex)
184: Drew Foster
197: Jacob Holschlag or Keegan Moore
285: Carter Isley
Where did Yates end up? I do like Lujan. Tough kid

Where did Yates end up? I do like Lujan. Tough kid
I don't think he's ended up anywhere just yet. He was a constant source of frustration at UNI. One of the best recruits the school's ever gotten, was expected to go 125 and couldn't even make 133 on any kind of consistent basis.

Also not sure if the parting was mutual, but I do know for a fact that he's no longer here.

The big joke among many was that Yates was trying to bulk up to challenge Isley for heavyweight! He apparently "likes his food."

ADVERTISEMENT