ADVERTISEMENT

Best path to more bonus points?

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
It was noted during Media Day that a point of emphasis will be to increase bonus points. Just wondering what people think is the best way to accomplish this for our four returning champs? Are some of these guys more suited to the Nolf “catch and release” strategy? Are others more likely to focus on riding and turning and getting back points? What do people think?

WE ARE!!!

It was noted during Media Day that a point of emphasis will be to increase bonus points. Just wondering what people think is the best way to accomplish this for our four returning champs? Are some of these guys more suited to the Nolf “catch and release” strategy? Are others more likely to focus on riding and turning and getting back points? What do people think?

WE ARE!!!

The best way to get more bonus points is to try to win more matches by at least 8 points, or even better at least 15 points, or even better yet...by pinning your opponent.

The best way to get more bonus points is to try to win more matches by at least 8 points, or even better at least 15 points, or even better yet...by pinning your opponent.
Mildly amusing, but not much more than that.

I remember a couple of times last year scratching my head watching some of our guys accumulating multiple minutes of riding time yet never come particularly close to tilting someone.

In the case of someone like AB, who has exceptional offense, I think the best option is catch and release and then catching someone in a transition when they are really, really tired.

Best path to more bonus? 1) Our young guys one year more experienced and skilled. 2) Cael focusing on it for the year. Place a check in both boxes.

We will see a mix based upon the individual wrestler's skill set of mauling from on top, big moves, and catch and release; with the end result is a marked increase in bonus this year.

Truth be told Iowa has taken advantage of their depth and experience to lead in bonus the last 2 years. That is about to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
SIMPLE SCORE MORE POINTS!!!
That’s the goal, of course, though it doesn’t add to the discussion about how that goal will be accomplished. What RBY does to get there might be very different than N Lee or C Starocci, for example.

Double down on learning cradles. Learn near side, far side, cross face, standing, bottom leg and even how to lock them up when someone is cradling you.

I remember a couple of times last year scratching my head watching some of our guys accumulating multiple minutes of riding time yet never come particularly close to tilting someone.
Last year definitely seemed like a down year for us in terms of bonus scoring (attempts included). Would be interesting to see how last year stacked up in terms of total bonus scored vs previous years.

Reactions: bwfight
Get a higher seed. Increases the odds of bonus in every round.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
Get a higher seed. Increases the odds of bonus in every round.

Agree, due to seeds, 5 of our 9 wrestlers were on the path to face a top-10 seed in the 1st or 2nd round. 8 of Iowa's wrestlers didn't face a top-10 seed until the quarters. Give them credit, they earned those seeds.

Youth, injuries, and a short season conspired to make it difficult to move up the rankings. A full season should help.

So, with the Collegiate Duals thing, it looks like our guys won't be facing guys we'd see at other duals. Which has the potential to get guys some more matches against NCAA qualifiers, R12 or AA type guys.

A guy like BB at 149 could see #1 Yianni, #3 Tariq Wilson, #10 Bryce Andonian, #17 Kyle Parco, #25 Tristan Lara, and/or #26 Josh Edmond. Tough sledding.

If Yianni is actually going 149, and PSU doesn't wrestle Iowa, as stipulated, Nick Lee could "only" wrestle #8 Dresden Simon, #9 Allan Hart, #12 Grant Willits, #24 Ryan Jack, etc. Good opportunities to work on that bonus rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwfight
So, with the Collegiate Duals thing, it looks like our guys won't be facing guys we'd see at other duals. Which has the potential to get guys some more matches against NCAA qualifiers, R12 or AA type guys.

A guy like BB at 149 could see #1 Yianni, #3 Tariq Wilson, #10 Bryce Andonian, #17 Kyle Parco, #25 Tristan Lara, and/or #26 Josh Edmond.

If Yianni is actually going 149, and PSU doesn't wrestle Iowa, as stipulated, Nick Lee could "only" wrestle #8 Dresden Simon, #9 Allan Hart, #12 Grant Willits, #24 Ryan Jack, etc. Good opportunities to work on that bonus rate.
At most 4 of those guys. 2 in the 3-team pool, then 1 in the semis and 1 in the finals.

I’ll add the very obvious point that we’ve all been amazingly spoiled by the likes of DT, Ruth, Bo, Zain, Nolf, Cenzo, Marky, etc

Gotta be incredibly hard to follow up after those studs.

Reactions: diggerpup
I’ll add the very obvious point that we’ve all been amazingly spoiled by the likes of DT, Ruth, Bo, Zain, Nolf, Cenzo, Marky, etc

Gotta be incredibly hard to follow up after those studs.
Maybe, if we're really lucky, and Cael keeps at it for another decade, we'll even add another wrestler to the flo 100.

• Haha
Reactions: Ja1339
Last year definitely seemed like a down year for us in terms of bonus scoring (attempts included). Would be interesting to see how last year stacked up in terms of total bonus scored vs previous years.
The team was uncommonly young last year, and lacked the typical learning experiences that wrestling a full schedule provides.

I don't quite understand how this is supposed to work. What if we are scheduled to meet Iowa in the finals. Do we play rock, paper, scissors?

I don't quite understand how this is supposed to work. What if we are scheduled to meet Iowa in the finals. Do we play rock, paper, scissors?
Me either, I assume we just wrestle the teams that each other just wrestled, and declare co champs.

Thank You Obiwan.......your wisdom is far beyond mere human's understanding.

• Haha
Reactions: PABulldogs
Disappointed in you Yoda is. The best way is to do, not to try to do. :)

58796185ffbfeb2ee35f55772df8cb6a.jpg

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Last year's freshmen, with a year of growth (training-, talent-, and knowledge-wise) will naturally be more dominant on the mat if they continue training hard and improve. For me, expect RBY and N. Lee to be about who they have been, with Bartlett, J. Lee, Starocci, Brooks, Beard, and Kerkvliet to dominate even more, hence more bonus points.

I agree with E-J's mention of a higher seed, and having bonus potential by getting more lower seeded guys at the tournament, but that's not what the coaches are after. They want to see a major against the guys they decisioned, techs against guys they majored, and more falls. Add in beating guys they lost to, and we'll have a stronger team come tourney time than last season.

ADVERTISEMENT