ADVERTISEMENT

Best part of the game yesterday.....

harbest

Sep 26, 2001
was at the end of the first quarter when they let the girl with downs syndrome score a touchdown. My wife had a sister with Downs syndrome and she told me when she was born, they told her parents she would not live long and belonged in a school or institution. They told them in so many words to go to hell, raised her as a normal child, and she happily lived into her 50's before developing Dementia. You don't mention the word "retarded" around my wife if you value your life.

Last edited:
Harbest,
Thank you so much for your post. That play brought tears to my eyes. Every person conceived is valuable and that precious young lady will remember that opportunity with endless joy and gratitude the rest of her life. God bless those that thought of doing this and those who surrounded her with love and respect.

Last edited:
was at the end of the first quarter when they let the girl with downs syndrome score a touchdown. My wife had a sister with Downs syndrome and she told me when she was born, they told her parents she would not live long and belonged in a school or institution. They told them in so many words to go to hell, raised her as a normal child, and she happily lived into her 50's before developing Dementia. You don;t mention the word "retarded" around my wife if you value your life.

Awesome story - thanks for sharing. And thanks to Franklin for allowing that girl a chance to do something many of us have dreamed of - scoring a TD at Beaver Stadium! If only Matt Millen wasn't such a douche on TV when it happened...

God bless those that thought of doing this and those who surrounded her with love and respect.
I honestly think this was impromptu. The time out competition was over, then Franklin came to the end zone and took her out to the offensive huddle.
Not sure it was pre-planned. Which in my book, makes it that much better.
A great moment any way you look at it.

OL

I honestly think this was impromptu. The time out competition was over, then Franklin came to the end zone and took her out to the offensive huddle.
Not sure it was pre-planned. Which in my book, makes it that much better.
A great moment any way you look at it.

OL
And what probably wasn't shown on tv, during a timeout, he ran down to where she was sitting near the endzone and took time out to speak with her afterward.

during a timeout, he ran down to where she was sitting near the endzone and took time out to speak with her afterward.
Thanks for sharing this. I didn't see that happen.

A little humor OT. I told my son she spiked the ball before crossing the goal line. Surprised the B1G refs didn't ask for a review!
#midnighter, what did Millen say? TIA.

OL

A little humor OT. I told my son she spiked the ball before crossing the goal line. Surprised the B1G refs didn't ask for a review!

OL

Um....*awkward*....he said the same thing you did.......

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27943-1378779076-34.gif

Reactions: BBrown and OhioLion

OL
I was fairly close to the endzone because the sideline seats were all taken besides those up top. As far as I'm concerned, it was a full house for a spring scrimmage. We should be proud of that.

Reactions: PSU77sh
My favorite part of that was when she got into the end zone and immediately hike her pants back up because they were falling. Looked exactly like my little sister, who also has Down’s syndrome. After scoring, my sister would have plopped down in the end zone and refused to leave however.

Harbest,
Thank you so much for your post. That play brought tears to my eyes. Every person conceived is valuable and that precious young lady will remember that opportunity with endless joy and gratitude the rest of her life. God bless those that thought of doing this and those who surrounded her with love and respect.
Nicely said. I agree.

Awesome story - thanks for sharing. And thanks to Franklin for allowing that girl a chance to do something many of us have dreamed of - scoring a TD at Beaver Stadium! If only Matt Millen wasn't such a douche on TV when it happened...

Millen's remark was an attempt at humor with no malice intended. Lighten up man

Last edited:
My favorite part of that was when she got into the end zone and immediately hike her pants back up because they were falling. Looked exactly like my little sister, who also has Down’s syndrome. After scoring, my sister would have plopped down in the end zone and refused to leave however.

One time my wife and I took her sister out for a ride. They played a song on the radio she went nuts over. When the song ended, they went to a news break with the DJ saying "We'll be back with more in a minute." She took it as they would play the song again after the news. You think I had any chance of changing that station?

Mullen's remark was an attempt at humor with no malice intended. Lighten up man.

Yes, the first thing I would think of is something disparaging too because it’s funny. Millen had a great set up from his colleague and that’s what he says? Pathetic.

You don't mention the word "retarded" around my wife if you value your life.

Really shows how times have changed. Centre County's main organization for championing the rights and inclusion of mental disabilities is The Arc. The Arc used to be an acronym, ARC. The Association for Retarded Citizens.

I loved the way the players and the Lion mascot acted. Was pretty cool.
I had the sound off so...:)

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Yes, the first thing I would think of is something disparaging too because it’s funny. Millen had a great set up from his colleague and that’s what he says? Pathetic.

What was disparaging? It was a lighthearted comment.

And let’s hope things like that become more and more a part of spring games. Not to the point that it dilutes the game or the significance of the gesture, but enough to spread the result to benefit more.

Ahem, Franklin’s gesture, not Millen’s.

Mullen's remark was an attempt at humor with no malice intended. Lighten up man.
Fair point. But a jerk is as a jerk does... just because he may not have meant to act like a jerk in the moment doesn’t mean he didn’t act like a jerk.

His job used to be tackling, then coaching. Now it is communication.
#listenersexperiencematters

Honestly, what was the problem with what he said? I don’t get it.

If it doesn't bother you that's fine. But she spiked the ball a half yard before crossing the goal line, and Millen's colleague said something very excitedly, like, 'And look a the spike!' to which Millen replied, 'Would have been better if she crossed the goal line first!'. If that's cool with you no biggie.

If it doesn't bother you that's fine. But she spiked the ball a half yard before crossing the goal line, and Millen's colleague said something very excitedly, like, 'And look a the spike!' to which Millen replied, 'Would have been better if she crossed the goal line first!'. If that's cool with you no biggie.

Yeah, that’s cool with me. I have a younger sister with Down’s syndrome and worked for several years with adults with disabilities so I am pretty aware of others approaching people in this group with malice. We’re allowed to laugh with them, which is what I heard out of Millen there. I suppose we just heard it differently.

a few observations about the play/sequence from my perspective in the East stands

- the girl (Brooke) was very animated in the huddle. It looked like she was either lecturing the players, or giving them a pep talk. Either way, it was impressive, and picked up by several people around me
- if I recall correctly, that took place at the end of the 1st qtr. During the TO, they had a competition by the South endzone, where a cheerleader and the Lion were competing against Brooke and Keegan Michael Key. The Brooke/KMK team won, and it was a little unclear at first whether Brooke was just going around the players to celebrate, or if they were really going to run a play
- as Brooke was running the ball toward the endzone, most of the people around me (some fans, but mostly parents/family of players) were clapping or cheering
- when she scored, I was moved to stand up, and give her a huge cheer. I believe Jason Cabinda's mother, who was sitting right next to me (a super-nice lady), did the same
- as commented by others, CJF was great with Brooke, before and after the play

Yeah, that’s cool with me. I have a younger sister with Down’s syndrome and worked for several years with adults with disabilities so I am pretty aware of others approaching people in this group with malice. We’re allowed to laugh with them, which is what I heard out of Millen there. I suppose we just heard it differently.

For me it just seemed like such a great, positive moment and he had the perfect opportunity to say something positive. He didn't, and while I do not think he intended malice or was being serious, I just couldn't believe that was the best he could do in the moment. How hard is it to say something positive? Bottom line is Brooke had a great time and everyone on the field was pumped (I assume in the stands too) and that's what matters.

It could have been funny had he played it as though the refs were going to review the play.

Otoh, I've been reading here that Matt is very very ill, with very poor heart function. That could be part of the reason he was perhaps a little clumsy.

It cannot be taken in jest?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT