ADVERTISEMENT

Berge was at 165 and now 157!

The big if here .... I'm slightly worried about that.
the other thing to think about is there is now one less spot for him to steal. will probably need to beat someone like coleman or saldate. certainly capable, but that's not easy either. he'll have no shot at a wildcard.

the other thing to think about is there is now one less spot for him to steal. will probably need to beat someone like coleman or saldate. certainly capable, but that's not easy either. he'll have no shot at a wildcard.
I'm actually confused about this, was PSU going to allocate a spot when our 157 has basically no wins in conference?

Either way, I'm down for this. It's worth the risk. Barraclough would be a long shot to even qualify for 157. He's improving but wrestling close matches doesn't get you points at nationals. What are we sacrificing at 165? 2 points? If Brady qualifies at 165, he's looking at something like that. Even with a low teens seed, he's looking at a National Champion caliber guy round 2 and again in the blood round. I think Edsell can get us 2 points possibly on the backside (165 isn't deep but it's top heavy and I think the Top 8 are pretty obvious)

There's a low chance Brady can sneak on the podium from the backside from 157 but it's close to 0 at 165 probably.

Last edited:
Did Brady handle it well? He placed 6th at Big Tens, went 2-2 at Nationals scoring 1.5 points and missed multiple duals because he couldn't handle the cut lol.
Thankfully, he'll only have to do it for 2-3 weekends this time, and at 157. I think there is risk with either weight--but I bet Brady, with support from his coaches, probably have the most, best information by which to make the decision.

Random other thought: I love how all this intrigue is capturing everyone so much. It's keeping the attention/pressure off of all the other guys, and putting a seasoned guy with his own D1 coaching experience in the spotlight.

Reactions: McScoreley
Thankfully, he'll only have to do it for 2-3 weekends this time, and at 157. I think there is risk with either weight--but I bet Brady, with support from his coaches, probably have the most, best information by which to make the decision.

Random other thought: I love how all this intrigue is capturing everyone so much. It's keeping the attention/pressure off of all the other guys, and putting a seasoned guy with his own D1 coaching experience in the spotlight.
This I agree with! I just don't think he handled the 149 cut well and I don't think he should have been expected to lol. That experiment was bound to fail from Day 1 and is not typical for a Cael team (cue Shak at 165 jokes)

He still was probably our best option there.

This I agree with! I just don't think he handled the 149 cut well and I don't think he should have been expected to lol. That experiment was bound to fail from Day 1 and is not typical for a Cael team (cue Shak at 165 jokes)

He still was probably our best option there.
Again, I’ll use that age old “trust in Cael” adage and feel quite good about it. Guy knows a thing or two about wrestling.

Brayton Lee officially out for the season. B1G is looking at 6 allocations?

Deakin
Young
Coleman
Saldate
Lewan
Robb

This won't be easy.
Does Model qualify a spot? Not sure his win over Lee has much/ any impact now. Model is 12-9 with only one bad loss.

Edit: Model is 26th in coaches ranking and 15th in RPI adjusting for Lee’s absence. I think he probably qualifies a spot. There are 2 B1G wrestles behind Model in RPI top 33 but I don’t think they’ll qualify.

Also, sorry to see Lee out. He’s one tough dude

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Is there any open tourneys available for Berge to hit and get some 157 matches or has that ship sailed?

Does Model qualify a spot? Not sure his win over Lee has much/ any impact now. Model is 12-9 with only one bad loss.

Edit: Model is 26th in coaches ranking and 15th in RPI adjusting for Lee’s absence. I think he probably qualifies a spot. There are 2 B1G wrestles behind Model in RPI top 33 but I don’t think they’ll qualify.

Also, sorry to see Lee out. He’s one tough dude
Agreed but he needs to at least split his 2 remaining matches vs Holschlag (UNI) and Richard (Cornell). Maybe win both. If he loses both, he'll probably drop outside Coaches Poll top 30.

Model's issue is that he has only 1 good win (Lee). Lee's absence won't be held against him, but his lack of other good wins hurts his win % and coaches' ranking.

For everyone's reference, the auto-qualifier and at-large criteria are here:

Agreed but he needs to at least split his 2 remaining matches vs Holschlag (UNI) and Richard (Cornell). Maybe win both. If he loses both, he'll probably drop outside Coaches Poll top 30.

Model's issue is that he has only 1 good win (Lee). Lee's absence won't be held against him, but his lack of other good wins hurts his win % and coaches' ranking.

For everyone's reference, the auto-qualifier and at-large criteria are here:
I checked out Model’s remaining schedule after posting. Probably a make or break weekend for Model as far as qualifying a spot. He’s probably a slight dog in both matchups

For Model (or any wrestler), good wins don't matter until after the conference tourney when the at-large are determined.

All that matters now are CR, Win % and RPI. It's his Win % that's hurting him as it's one criteria and a major part of a second (RPI). He can't afford to drop any lower to get an AQ spot. I'm thinking he needs to win both this weekend to earn a spot for the conference.

For Model (or any wrestler), good wins don't matter until after the conference tourney when the at-large are determined.

All that matters now are CR, Win % and RPI. It's his Win % that's hurting him as it's one criteria and a major part of a second (RPI). He can't afford to drop any lower to get an AQ spot. I'm thinking he needs to win both this weekend to earn a spot for the conference.
Model gets a big W over Hoschlag.

Re. qualifying a spot, I think it’s helpful for Model’s case that he need only meet 2/3 criteria so his winning percentage (although part of the RPI calculation) is irrelevant if he hits the RPI and coaches ranking standards

Last edited:
Jon Kozak' take on Berge at 157:

"Brady Berge’s weight class was one of the biggest areas of speculation since he announced his move back to State College. While he wrestled 4 matches at 165, he hasn’t wrestled since January 28th against Alex Marinelli. On top of that, Creighton Edsell was included in the latest coaches' rankings. That means Penn State submitted Edsell to be ranked at 165 rather than Berge. The natural conclusion - Brady Berge is dropping to 157 for the postseason.

If Berge does go 157, he’ll have to “steal” a spot at the Big 10 tournament. With only 4 matches on the year (and none at 157), Berge won’t earn an allocation for the NCAA tournament for the Big 10 conference at 157. On top of that, Berge doesn’t currently meet the other criteria for earning an “At-Large” bid at 157. The Big 10 will likely earn between 6-8 automatic qualifying spots at 157. While it’s likely Berge places in the top 6, there’s little margin for error for Berge at the Big 10 Tournament."

Reactions: TrooperPSU
So what was the main purpose of getting Brady the second match today?
He stands a better chance to hit 8 matches at 57 now, despite what the Wrestling Nomad says. For example, Brady had 6 matches last year at B1Gs placing 6th. Losing in the 1st round and then wrestling back to 3rd isn't the only path to 8 matches as the Nomad proclaims.

Last edited:
He stands a better chance to hit 8 matches at 57 now, despite what the Wrestling Nomad says. For example, Brady had 6 matches last year at B1Gs placing 6th. Losing in the 1st round and then wrestling back to 3rd isn't the only path to 8 matches as the Nomad proclaims.

It might be a possibility to get to 8 matches, but what he definitely gained today is confidence he can handle two matches in a short time at 157.

Hard to imagine he doesn't get 4 though unless he bounces early which would then make it irrelevant.

But I imagine that was the logic indeed. Thank you for your contributions always to questions like this.
It was probably about simulating the tournament experience, with two matches in short order in the arena (as opposed to in the room).

As far as at-large eligibility goes: Berge now only needs to finish 1 spot below AQ. Beating Amine satisfies one criterion, because the rule does not specify that a win over a qualifier must occur at the same weight.

Satisfying more criteria would be better. (Captain Obvious says winning a spot outright would be best.)

See criteria -- bottom of the last page here:

Wrestlers that meet two or more of the 'at-large consideration standards will be eligible for at-large selection. Minimum standards include:
.700 overall winning percentage --> needs to go 2-2 or better at B10s
.700 Division I winning percentage at the weight class --> 8-match min, needs to go 4-2 or better at B10s
Top 33 RPI (taken after the qualifying tournaments) --> cannot meet
Top 33 Coaches Ranking (Taken after the qualifying tournament) --> depends upon B10 performance
One win against a wrestler who qualified for the National Tournament --> already beat Amine
Qualifying event placement one below AQ --> TBD

That said, Berge would not be in a very good position to actually receive an at-large. At-large selection criteria are on p. 7 here:

SELECTION CRITERIA
• Head-to-Head Competition --> likely no matches
• Quality Wins --> Amine if allowable (current weight not specified); otherwise only at B10s
• Coaches Rank --> TBD
• Conference tournament placement --> TBD
• Results vs. common opponents --> likely none
• Win percentage --> see above, likely in his favor if he gets to 8 matches (current weight not specified)
There's definitely ambiguity in the Selection Criteria regarding current weight. PSU would argue that his 165 results should count; who knows if that would be accepted. Best to take it out of their hands altogether.

Reactions: railbirrd

Lobdell didn't read the rules, or misrepresented them. Go figure, red hot bad takes are his MO. (At least his 2nd MO, after DMs with female wrestlers.)

The very first criterion says .700 overall win % -- which would include Berge's 165 matches. He only needs to go 2-2 at B10s to satisfy this.

Last edited:
Lobdell didn't read the rules. Go figure, red hot bad takes are his MO. (At least his 2nd MO, after DMs with female wrestlers.)

The very first criterion says .700 overall win % -- which would include Berge's 165 matches. He only needs to go 2-2 at B10s to satisfy this.
Dude is a know it all (even when wrong) who didn't remotely get humbled by his situation lol.

Reactions: js8793
It was probably about simulating the tournament experience, with two matches in short order in the arena (as opposed to in the room).

As far as at-large eligibility goes: Berge now only needs to finish 1 spot below AQ. Beating Amine satisfies one criterion, because the rule does not specify that a win over a qualifier must occur at the same weight.

Satisfying more criteria would be better. (Captain Obvious says winning a spot outright would be best.)

See criteria -- bottom of the last page here:

That said, Berge would not be in a very good position to actually receive an at-large. At-large selection criteria are on p. 7 here:

There's definitely ambiguity in the Selection Criteria regarding current weight. PSU would argue that his 165 results should count; who knows if that would be accepted. Best to take it out of their hands altogether.
I think you’re correct. Getting those two matches was a good simulation of opening of the tourneys. Completion not very good but he looked fresh both matches and a good sign he may be getting his lungs back a bit.

Reactions: railbirrd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT