ADVERTISEMENT

Berge was at 165 and now 157!

I'd be curious to know what Brady weighed in at for the Iowa match on 1-28. If he weighed in at 165 and the decent allowance is 1.5 lbs., per week, it will take him 5 weeks to get to 157. That would be the weekend of the BIG tournament on March 5&6. If he started a week or two earlier maybe he'd be at 157 for the Rider match in 2 weeks. All speculation but it could explain some of his issues with the Bull.

I'd be curious to know what Brady weighed in at for the Iowa match on 1-28. If he weighed in at 165 and the decent allowance is 1.5 lbs., per week, it will take him 5 weeks to get to 157. That would be the weekend of the BIG tournament on March 5&6. If he started a week or two earlier maybe he'd be at 157 for the Rider match in 2 weeks. All speculation but it could explain some of his issues with the Bull.
Brady was adamant he's staying 165 ... did the total shell shacking by the Bull change his mind? It might have but I'd hope it wouldn't. He was looking good at 165 with wins over solid opponents. He was never going to matchup well with Marinelli, especially at Carver (where stall calls are generous) and off a Marinelli loss (he was mad)

This whole plan doesn't sound good to me candidly, especially since Edsell missed chances to build a 165 resume with winnable matches that Brady got. Gives me vibes of what John Smith tried to do in 2019 and that blew up in his face.

But alas, what's the saying, trust in Cael?

The rule is 1.5% per week.

I remember people saying he wanted 165, but did he tweet it or say it in an interview or something? Honest question.
I think it was a Cael interview where he said Brady wants 165 and we support him, something to that effect.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I could be wrong (happens all the time), but wasn't it "Brady's at 165 for now"? The move to 157 (if it happens) doesn't surprise me even a little bit. Only Brady, his teammates and his coaches really know how hard a cut it is or whether it was a possibility all along. I guess we're all going to know soon enough.

The rule is 1.5% per week.
Someone asked Casey on Sunday at the luncheon about Brady's absence vs the OSU. Casey said the same thing as Cael, that he's working on his weight. So 1.5% for Brady would be around 2 & 1/4 lbs., per week. I guess we could know at the Rider match if 157 is the team goal weight. Personally I'm happy with Brady at 165, but think as a team Brady 157 and under appreciated, Creighton Edsell at 165 is a stronger lineup. I'm not trying to be sarcastic about Creighton, he's a very solid wrestler and and he has a winning record.

Hope this isn't considered a dumb question but how does weight lost get control? Let's say Brady has to lose 8 lbs. Does he have to weigh in each week to make sure he's not losing to quickly or is there a time period of say 4 weeks that he is allowed to lose that weight.

Reactions: diggerpup
Hope this isn't considered a dumb question but how does weight lost get control? Let's say Brady has to lose 8 lbs. Does he have to weigh in each week to make sure he's not losing to quickly or is there a time period of say 4 weeks that he is allowed to lose that weight.
He doesn't have to weigh in again until B10s.

Every weigh-in resets the descent plan, so guys dropping to a lower weight often let several weeks pass between official weigh-ins.

It would be nice if claims about wrestlers’ or coaches’ position(s) on a matter are sourced. I feel like personal interpretations are made and then posted here as fact. Reference the specific source, please, to that others have the opportunity to verify or dispute.

It would be nice if claims about wrestlers’ or coaches’ position(s) on a matter are sourced. I feel like personal interpretations are made and then posted here as fact. Reference the specific source, please, to that others have the opportunity to verify or dispute.
Does saying ‘a guy with an Iowa shirt ..’ count as proper sourcing?? Asking for a friend

In reality, Brady will likely get 5 matches at least at Big Tens. The 4 matches thing is literally if he wins Big Tens (or bounces early). I wouldn't be shocked if he landed on the 8th/9th seed and has Deakin early so he'll qualify for a coaches rank depending on how he does at Big Tens. If he can find an open tournament (Real Woods somehow managed to lol) and get to 8 matches before NCAAs, he can qualify for win %.

I'm not sure if RPI threshold is being lowered. I don't think matches against teammates count anymore and I don't know who would be giddy about helping PSU with NCAA points. I think Penn might be a possibility (2 of their coaches are our guys after all) or hell, promise a smaller team a future home and home with them. I remember Real Woods found his way into NCAAs after beating a winless Bakersfield wrestler twice after PAC 12s.

The more I think about it, the more I think this decision makes sense. Go for an all or nothing approach at 157/165. My thoughts:

As much as I love Barraclough, he hasn't shown an ability to take down NQ level guys yet (yes he was close to it with Robb but that only counts in Horseshoes and Hand grenades) He's shown an ability to get in on the legs and defend well enough to keep matches close but that doesn't get you points at Nationals. 157 is a whole bunch of parity after the Top 2 tbh. Even if Brady loses to Carr as the 33 seed, it comes down to how the bracket plays. I don't believe we have a qualifier here otherwise.

Brady isn't making noise at 165. The Top of 165 is very good. If he's getting majored by Marinelli, he isn't beating Wittlake or Valencia either IMO (was hoping he could grab 7th/8th with the right draw). I think if Brady was even remotely competitive with the Bull, he'd stay at 165. Tony going 165 at Edinboro strikes me as he will wrestleoff for this spot as well. We aren't getting many points here but if Tony can possibly lock up a cradle in the backside, that's 2.5 points. That's actually more points than if Brady goes R12 by going 2-2 with 2 decision wins and making the quarters. Truthfully, I still think Creighton is clearly the man here.

Keep in mind, we were never projected to get many points at 157/165. It's ESSENTIAL to get a guy in at 149/157 to at least give yourself a fighting chance to pick up points, they all add up eventually.

Reactions: Ski
He doesn't have to weigh in again until B10s.

Every weigh-in resets the descent plan, so guys dropping to a lower weight often let several weeks pass between official weigh-ins.
The big trick is what his weight was at Iowa. If it was such that he could make it to 157 this week, it still might only be a weight window of less than 1/2 pound. If it’s that narrow you absolutely need to know what you weigh before stepping in the official scale. He can be under 157 but not under the like limit of the weight plan.

example. If he was exactly 164 official at Iowa, to wrestle Rider he has to be 157 or lower but not less than 156.7.

The more I think about it, the more I think this decision makes sense. Go for an all or nothing approach at 157/165. My thoughts:

As much as I love Barraclough, he hasn't shown an ability to take down NQ level guys yet (yes he was close to it with Robb but that only counts in Horseshoes and Hand grenades) He's shown an ability to get in on the legs and defend well enough to keep matches close but that doesn't get you points at Nationals. 157 is a whole bunch of parity after the Top 2 tbh. Even if Brady loses to Carr as the 33 seed, it comes down to how the bracket plays. I don't believe we have a qualifier here otherwise.

Brady isn't making noise at 165. The Top of 165 is very good. If he's getting majored by Marinelli, he isn't beating Wittlake or Valencia either IMO (was hoping he could grab 7th/8th with the right draw). I think if Brady was even remotely competitive with the Bull, he'd stay at 165. Tony going 165 at Edinboro strikes me as he will wrestleoff for this spot as well. We aren't getting many points here but if Tony can possibly lock up a cradle in the backside, that's 2.5 points. That's actually more points than if Brady goes R12 by going 2-2 with 2 decision wins and making the quarters. Truthfully, I still think Creighton is clearly the man here.

Keep in mind, we were never projected to get many points at 157/165. It's ESSENTIAL to get a guy in at 149/157 to at least give yourself a fighting chance to pick up points, they all add up eventually.
Yes. All or nothing at 157. If either of the other two qualify the points would like be 2.5 max. 1.5 if a major win on the backside. Tony and Bearclaw could not be predicted for any more than 1 win.

If Brady doesn’t qualify we lose the possible, not probable, 1.5 points.

Qualify Brady and bring down the backside if his seed sucks. Or just bring down Carr. ;)

Reactions: 82bordeaux
If Brady doesn't qualify at 157 then we're right in the same spot now anyways. I don't believe Bearclaw is a NQ this year and I love the fight the kid shows. We do lose Brady as a potential 165 with a solid seed (think he can grab a low teens seed) ... but barring a really good Big Tens, he's still looking at hammer of a Round 2 draw (it could be Marinelli again) then another very tough R12 draw. This is better for the team race.

Reactions: eddy line and Ski
Cael and Casey both stated that Brady was working on his weight. Nothing more or nothing less to it. Since he missed the last 2 matches this weekend it seems like a good possibility that he is dropping to 157. I doubt they were referring to him having trouble managing 165, but it is possible.

Cael and Casey both stated that Brady was working on his weight. Nothing more or nothing less to it. Since he missed the last 2 matches this weekend it seems like a good possibility that he is dropping to 157. I doubt they were referring to him having trouble managing 165, but it is possible.
On 247, someone said Byers mentioned 157 is what Brady is working on.

Reactions: creamery freak
Is anyone familiar with Trackwrestling's Weight Management system? It looks like it costs $50 per season to access it. Is Trackwrestling the repository for documenting the weigh-in weight of each wrestler per each event during the season? If so, maybe there is someone on this Forum who already has paid access and could access it for us? And voila!, we would know what Brady weighed in at for the Iowa dual.

In reality, Brady will likely get 5 matches at least at Big Tens. The 4 matches thing is literally if he wins Big Tens (or bounces early). I wouldn't be shocked if he landed on the 8th/9th seed and has Deakin early so he'll qualify for a coaches rank depending on how he does at Big Tens. If he can find an open tournament (Real Woods somehow managed to lol) and get to 8 matches before NCAAs, he can qualify for win %.

I'm not sure if RPI threshold is being lowered. I don't think matches against teammates count anymore and I don't know who would be giddy about helping PSU with NCAA points. I think Penn might be a possibility (2 of their coaches are our guys after all) or hell, promise a smaller team a future home and home with them. I remember Real Woods found his way into NCAAs after beating a winless Bakersfield wrestler twice after PAC 12s.
RPI threshold this year is 15 matches.

The Real Woods example is one that can be learned from. To get to 5 bouts, he wrestled "extras" between his conference tourney and NCAA's. He ended up being seeded 21 and went 2-2, losing has last match of the year to Clay Carlson in the round of 12. And he was not on some end of year descent plan.

Wrestling too much, especially when in descent doesn't bode well for a wrestler wanting to peak for NCAA's. It's one of the reasons our schedule is what it is.

If Brady is in descent, what's best imo is to let him get there safely, wrestle at B1G's until he either loses twice or earns his way (if this happens, I'd shut him down then and there). If he earns his way, it's the right combination of 2 weeks of rest, training, and weight control preparing for the brutal 3 days of the NCAA Championship, regardless of his seed.

Is anyone familiar with Trackwrestling's Weight Management system? It looks like it costs $50 per season to access it. Is Trackwrestling the repository for documenting the weigh-in weight of each wrestler per each event during the season? If so, maybe there is someone on this Forum who already has paid access and could access it for us? And voila!, we would know what Brady weighed in at for the Iowa dual.
Yes, the Trackwrestling system is official, though I am not sure what $50 gets you.

Reactions: hlstone
RPI threshold this year is 15 matches.

The Real Woods example is one that can be learned from. To get to 5 bouts, he wrestled "extras" between his conference tourney and NCAA's. He ended up being seeded 21 and went 2-2, losing has last match of the year to Clay Carlson in the round of 12. And he was not on some end of year descent plan.

Wrestling too much, especially when in descent doesn't bode well for a wrestler wanting to peak for NCAA's. It's one of the reasons our schedule is what it is.

If Brady is in descent, what's best imo is to let him get there safely, wrestle at B1G's until he either loses twice or earns his way (if this happens, I'd shut him down then and there). If he earns his way, it's the right combination of 2 weeks of rest, training, and weight control preparing for the brutal 3 days of the NCAA Championship, regardless of his seed.
Real Woods wrestled winless Jose Landin after PAC 12s because he didn't have the minimum matches. He won by first period pin and a 3:20 16-0 Tech. I don't think that took much of a toll on him lol. Woods went R12 because he didn't train all year, simply put, he was trying to graduate on time so he could get his Stanford degree before leaving.

Real Woods wrestled winless Jose Landin after PAC 12s because he didn't have the minimum matches. He won by first period pin and a 3:20 16-0 Tech. I don't think that took much of a toll on him lol. Woods went R12 because he didn't train all year, simply put, he was trying to graduate on time so he could get his Stanford degree before leaving.
So what I'm reading is that without knowing Brady's current weight status, you think it's a good idea to push him into a few extra bouts (which will include a weigh-in) to get him to 5. Not to mention in your example, the Pac-12 tournament is the week before B1G's, so Real Woods could get his "extras" in two weeks prior to NCAA's. Not the same with Berge. An extra weigh in between the post-season tournaments and any competition just doesn't sound even remotely like a good idea. At least to me. Seeded 21st or 33rd or whatever, if this happens he MUST be given the best chance possible to compete healthy and rested.

Reactions: nerfstate
So what I'm reading is that without knowing Brady's current weight status, you think it's a good idea to push him into a few extra bouts (which will include a weigh-in) to get him to 5. Not to mention in your example, the Pac-12 tournament is the week before B1G's, so Real Woods could get his "extras" in two weeks prior to NCAA's. Not the same with Berge. An extra weigh in between the post-season tournaments and any competition just doesn't sound even remotely like a good idea. At least to me. Seeded 21st or 33rd or whatever, if this happens he MUST be given the best chance possible to compete healthy and rested.
Yeah--if it is in fact true that 165 was his initial choice because that's what his medical advise was telling him--I want Brady as healthy as possible at 157 (or 165), let the chips fall where they may. I'd love for Brady to be the next James English, I really would. But I hope he has a long healthy life after the next month even more.

I'm just suggesting scenarios of how he can earn win % or RPI. I agree with you though.

There's also clearly human manipulation possible. If he went 4-0, he would be 33 ranked because he can't even get a coaches rank but it's clear they used logic last year when working through the seeds.

The big trick is what his weight was at Iowa. If it was such that he could make it to 157 this week, it still might only be a weight window of less than 1/2 pound. If it’s that narrow you absolutely need to know what you weigh before stepping in the official scale. He can be under 157 but not under the like limit of the weight plan.

example. If he was exactly 164 official at Iowa, to wrestle Rider he has to be 157 or lower but not less than 156.7.

Seems like it would be easier to get Colonel Sanders original recipe than to find out what Brady weighed in at for Iowa match 😏

Berge will be 165 and needs 4 more matches to have 8 and a chance to allocate a spot for the Big 10 at 165. The only way to achieve that is go to the Last Chance Open and hope to go 3-1. We will get a coaches poll and RPI today. Berge wont be in either he doesn't have enough matches you need 5 for coaches poll and 15 for a RPI. My guess is we see him wrestle Rider and look to steal a spot at the Big 10. I think the weight will get 8 spots.

This is a bit tongue-in-cheek but if that were the standard for posting the internet would not exist.

Berge will be 165 and needs 4 more matches to have 8 and a chance to allocate a spot for the Big 10 at 165. The only way to achieve that is go to the Last Chance Open and hope to go 3-1. We will get a coaches poll and RPI today. Berge wont be in either he doesn't have enough matches you need 5 for coaches poll and 15 for a RPI. My guess is we see him wrestle Rider and look to steal a spot at the Big 10. I think the weight will get 8 spots.

LCOShirtDesign.JPG

Reactions: dbldoofus
If true, and no reason to doubt Corby, then why would he miss the last 2 duals?

ADVERTISEMENT