ADVERTISEMENT

Berge was at 165 and now 157!

Can Edsell cut to 157? I understand he has wrestled 184 & 174 before. I'm not sure Luke Gardner is much better than Bearclaw, Tony or Joe.

Yes, but can Edsell cut to 157?

giphy.gif

Berge is certified at 157lbs. The combination of him needing matches, competition and his decent plan has played into the decision to let him go at 165. With 5 matches remaining, and some opens coming up including Edinboro, both Berge and Edsell can get some competition, stay active and see if Berge is capable of getting to 157lbs and continue to wrestle at a high level.

I’m guessing his pride was hurt and got a little defensive in the moment. Seemed almost like he was trying to calm down the crowd like it was no big deal that he lost. It was out of character for Marinelli, who’s always seemed like a class act, but I enjoyed it!

His last collegiate match in his home state of Ohio. I'll bet a ton of friends and family were there. Not how he wanted to go out in that match.

Berge is certified at 157lbs. The combination of him needing matches, competition and his decent plan has played into the decision to let him go at 165. With 5 matches remaining, and some opens coming up including Edinboro, both Berge and Edsell can get some competition, stay active and see if Berge is capable of getting to 157lbs and continue to wrestle at a high level.
I think it's time we officially drop the Brady is still considering 157, I think it's pretty clear he's not. He is very cut and is still working on getting his lungs totally back, cutting 8 pounds ain't it. He's looked as good as we can expect for his first 3 matches since a bad knee injury (and getting over concussions) Is he getting horsed around at 165? I certainly don't see it.

After the wins over Amine and Fish, he is looking at a pretty 165 good seed since he only missed matches against the Indiana and Maryland kid (who have a combined 3 wins). As of right now, who's going to be ahead of him at Big Tens? Marinelli, Kharchla, Hamiti? He'll get a crack at Marinelli and Kharchla also. Braunagel lost to the Purdue kid and Ferrante. You want to move him back to 157 and get a double digit seed with no matches?

Reactions: Fatmarc
I think it's time we officially drop the Brady is still considering 157, I think it's pretty clear he's not. He is very cut and is still working on getting his lungs totally back, cutting 8 pounds ain't it. He's looked as good as we can expect for his first 3 matches since a bad knee injury (and getting over concussions) Is he getting horsed around at 165? I certainly don't see it.

After the wins over Amine and Fish, he is looking at a pretty 165 good seed since he only missed matches against the Indiana and Maryland kid (who have a combined 3 wins). As of right now, who's going to be ahead of him at Big Tens? Marinelli, Kharchla, Hamiti? He'll get a crack at Marinelli and Kharchla also. Braunagel lost to the Purdue kid and Ferrante. You want to move him back to 157 and get a double digit seed with no matches?
Legitimate question.
Berge wins this and next Friday nights, how many threads in the week after do you think we can have explaining the importance of Berge cutting to 157. Hell if he wins one and loses a one point match in the other we will still have Brady to 157 threads and posts.
Brady looks sturdy at 165, he hasn't looked gassed and he is winning. To be honest it isn't going to surprise me if he beats both Marinelli and Kharchla.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I wish there was a way to fuse Terrell and Tony lol. Give Tony's go to ankle pick with Terrell's riding and we might have something there. Both have been right there with some good kids but you know what they say about "almost"

Reactions: Fatmarc
Legitimate question.
Berge wins this and next Friday nights, how many threads in the week after do you think we can have explaining the importance of Berge cutting to 157. Hell if he wins one and loses a one point match in the other we will still have Brady to 157 threads and posts.
Brady looks sturdy at 165, he hasn't looked gassed and he is winning. To be honest it isn't going to surprise me if he beats both Marinelli and Kharchla.
I imagine a win over either one of them would end 157 speculation lol. That being said, let's not get ahead of ourselves, Amine and Fish were good wins but they aren't in the same territory as those 2 above.

I imagine a win over either one of them would end 157 speculation lol. That being said, let's not get ahead of ourselves, Amine and Fish were good wins but they aren't in the same territory as those 2 above.
I am not screaming he is going to snot stomp anybody. I am just saying, Brady winning isn't going to surprise me. That isn't getting carried away, that is my opinion based on observation. Brady Berge at full strength and a gas tank is an intriguing animal.

I'm simply putting out there what I know to be true. I know more, but I'll let you guys argue for a few more weeks...

Man, Brady looks thick for a 157 pounder. If he can descend to 157 and wrestle effectively he will be a handful for everyone including David Carr.
At a comfortable 157, I believe he would definitely be a favorite over everyone at the weight except Deakin and Carr.

At 165, I see quite a few land mines just in the Big10 that will be problems and make for some very scary moments.

A victory this Friday will go a long way towards alleviating my concerns.

At a comfortable 157, I believe he would definitely be a favorite over everyone at the weight except Deakin and Carr.

At 165, I see quite a few land mines just in the Big10 that will be problems and make for some very scary moments.

A victory this Friday will go a long way towards alleviating my concerns.
Brady comfortable at 165 > Brady uncomfortable at 157

Brady comfortable at 165 > Brady uncomfortable at 157
Let’s hope, but 165 >>> 157 and I will be extremely concerned until I see something that convinces me otherwise.

I want so badly to believe, but I see three guys in the Big alone that would be favored over Brady right now and another 5 or 6 across the weight class.

at 157 one Big and maybe 2 others outside the conference.

I guess we will see (I’d be happy to come back and admit that I was wrong)

Reactions: nitlion6
Let’s hope, but 165 >>> 157 and I will be extremely concerned until I see something that convinces me otherwise.

I want so badly to believe, but I see three guys in the Big alone that would be favored over Brady right now and another 5 or 6 across the weight class.

What's there to be concerned about? Nobody is penciling in Brady for major points right now. His win over Amine has him in about R12 territory.

Reactions: Ski

I hope you have too.

Reactions: KCLion
It’s too early to give up on Brady now, it appears he needs a few more weeks to get into peak wrestling shape, he gassed hard tonight
Brady wasn't going to win tonight. Marinelli came out aggressive and had something to prove in a big match after his loss last week. Its only his 4th match. Brady will learn from it and get better. Glad he is on the team again.

Brady wasn't going to win tonight. Marinelli came out aggressive and had something to prove in a big match after his loss last week. Its only his 4th match. Brady will learn from it and get better. Glad he is on the team again.
As much as I hate to say this, I’m afraid he will continue to be horsed around by the better 165 guys. As I said before, I hope that I am wrong and I will be both pleased and happy to admit it if I am.

Odd how the Bull does this all the time. He'll look completely unremarkable and then have a match where he just takes control. Unfortunately, he sometimes does it against PSU guys. I like Berge a lot, think you can make some fair excuses for him, but he's simply not the equal of the top 4 or 5 guys at 165. I've never been convinced that "the plan" was for him to stay at 165, so I guess we'll see. I like him though and if he's winning the wrestle offs and if his head is right, then he's earned the right to wrestle.

Reactions: fronk71 and Ski
As much as I hate to say this, I’m afraid he will continue to be horsed around by the better 165 guys. As I said before, I hope that I am wrong and I will be both pleased and happy to admit it if I am.
Totally agree, and I’ll still stand by my thought that he looks more like a 57 size wise. You can deny it all you want but you cant deny that he was just horsed by a TRUE 165.
Woulda loved to see him beat Young again, maybe we still will…

Odd how the Bull does this all the time. He'll look completely unremarkable and then have a match where he just takes control. Unfortunately, he sometimes does it against PSU guys. I like Berge a lot, think you can make some fair excuses for him, but he's simply not the equal of the top 4 or 5 guys at 165. I've never been convinced that "the plan" was for him to stay at 165, so I guess we'll see. I like him though and if he's winning the wrestle offs and if his head is right, then he's earned the right to wrestle.
He's not a top 3 type guy at 157 either, has not been at any time in his career and not sure why unretiring this year makes that different. He's always been in close matches with guys that are top 20.

Marinelli was a bad match up for him last night - 1/2 way through the match and Berge was done. That's exactly in Marinellis wheelhouse. Give BB another month to get his sea legs. Maybe he holds up under the pressure and gets to the 3rd with a chance to steal it. That's pretty much all you could ask of him at any time in his career against somebody of Marinellis caliber.

We all know that 165 is deep. We should also accept that Brady is at 165. I believe having him on the team is a positive from more than a wrestling standpoint, call it intangibles or whatever.

I'll cheer whether it is Edsell or Berge, and for either an AA finish might mean sneaking in somehow with a huge win along the way or a good draw, etc. We've all seen far stranger things.

Reactions: fronk71 and hlstone
Hot take time? I'm still very hyped about Brady's potential at 165. Hindsight 20-20, I think too many of us had Marinelli on upset alert because he's been regular decisioning some wrestlers and Brady just came off a good win over Amine. That was always beyond homerish to predict.

Reality? For a guy coming back from a knee and concussion injury (and is a month into returning), in that environment, Marinelli (and an ANGRY Marinelli, Kharchla was a wakeup call you can tell) was literally the worst matchup possible. Marinelli's handfight is so so aggressive. We've seen it even overwhelm Cenzo (Big Tens 2019) After getting a stall call within a minute and then clearly being tired after 1, it was always trouble for Brady. Keep in mind, Iowa had the momentum then also. Just won 2 in a row and they were seeking something Big from Bull to lead into Kemerer, that's kind of what makes duals special.

Marinelli is VERY good in duals historically, there's a reason he only lost one (to Cenzo) and even in that one, he remained competitive despite getting chucked for 6.

No I'm not saying we should pencil in Brady for anything but I'm saying absolutely do not write him off. As long as that match didn't kill his confidence (I'd be shocked if it did), let's see what the coaches can do with him within the next 1.5 months.

ADVERTISEMENT