ADVERTISEMENT

Berge Rumors

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
I'll start by saying rumors can be dangerous and at times irresponsible. I remain hopeful that we see Brady back out there before the Iowa dual, kicking some butt and a major contributor to yet one more National championship.

I think we have all been concerned that something just isn't right. Standard concussion protocol doesn't usually last more than a week or two at best. I think the way this has played out indicated there has always been more to this story and indicating something more serious.

The injury Itself was so strange. I watched the video numerous times and never could notice the telltale head snapping back from an impact. Sure you could see where there could have been an impact between the head and knee but even Cael said up front it was hard to tell when/how it happened. Brady just went totally limp. When they said they couldn't revive him matside that was another very disturbing report. The hearing that he was released from the hospital several hours later had us all breathing a big sigh of relief.

I am sure we'll never know the full story but like all of us the main concern is for his long term health. Brady is a good kid and a great talent, I hope we see him someday back at 100% showing us what he can accomplish. Nothing is a given at this point, so any return will be fantastic.

All strings come to an end wether it is duals or national championships but in the the end the kids are more important than the numbers.

Cassar, Conel, Shak, Berge ... maybe it's just not or year and a time for us to reflect back and be thankful. Cael has done so much, a year or two out of the limelight is not such a big deal. We will be back. I am not throwing in the towel by any stretch, but I have no concerns about streaks or championships being sacrificed if it is a touch and go call with any kid's health.

Let's all say a prayer for Brady's long term health and a return to the mat whenever it is safe. Get well! As for the team and competition we can cheer on our final season with Cenzo and Mark, all the way to individual titles and for the rest of our young very talented team, I have seen miracles before. 2nd or 3rd is pretty damned awesome as well - we are blessed - We Are!

Returning from concussions is really tricky and individual. My son was a JR at a D1 ivy program and suffered his third ( as far a we can remember) concussion after years of football and wrestling. Routine head to knee contact in practice fall 2018. Struggled academically thru the remainder of that semester and is still not back in school, won’t ever be back on the mat. Sad ending to his career in a sport that did so much for him ... including getting him into that school to start. Hopefully back in school this summer.

Returning from concussions is really tricky and individual. My son was a JR at a D1 ivy program and suffered his third ( as far a we can remember) concussion after years of football and wrestling. Routine head to knee contact in practice fall 2018. Struggled academically thru the remainder of that semester and is still not back in school, won’t ever be back on the mat. Sad ending to his career in a sport that did so much for him ... including getting him into that school to start. Hopefully back in school this summer.

Ugh, that's rough. Best wishes to
your son and his recovery. I've never met a former wrestler who forgot what the sport did for him/her. That will always remain and, most times, continue to propel forward progress.

A girl I coached in soccer for 5 or 6 years up through middle school suffered a concussion in 9th grade in indoor lacrosse. She was tutored a home for the next 1.5 school years, post concussion symptoms would not allow her to make it through an entire school day. Came back to school in 11th grade, went out for cross country and that was too much.

Everybody is different, most people are back to normal in a days to a few weeks. Then there are extreme cases such as this.

To be honest, we do not know what Berge is dealing with. We know he got knocked out in October and wrestled the Lehigh match in December and that is it. For all we know, Berge suffered a different injury between Lehigh and early January that prevents him from wrestling and it is not at all concussion related.

Also with the way the NCAA hands out 6th years now, staff could figure why risk it. Especially when PSU will need a whole lot to go right to seriously contend for the national championship this year (obviously a healthy Berge, the old Shak back, continue and steady improvement from Brooks and Seth).

A few years ago Penns Valley had a kid who was a PA Junior Wrestling State champion that missed the 2nd half of his freshman year due to concussions. Missed sophomore year, tried briefly to wrestle his junior year and just could not.

Minnesota had a kid who beat Dylan Alton at the beginning of the year and was done wrestling due to concussions by the end of the year.

Wrestling is a great sport, but we get a single brain, a limited number of brain cells and most synaptic complexes are developed early in life - messing with the brain should be a no brainer.

Best of luck and health is my wish and prayer for the kid.

Reactions: hohmadw and tgar
Cade Olivas, the freshman California state champ and middle-school phenom, is another guy who had to quit wrestling due to concussions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Byers just said that Penn State line-up is starting to take shape with the only spot that will likely change is at 157 where Pipher will go tonight because Berge has not yet returned to the lineup. This seems encouraging to me regarding the rumors of Brady being done for the year...

We should just let him recover properly and take the year off, not worth the risk. We aren't winning a title this year regardless.
We all want what's best for Berge, right?

That should include allowing him, his family, and the medical professionals to decide -- in either direction.

They, not anyone on the board, are the ones who can monitor his progress and properly assess the risk. If that means bringing him back or shutting him down, either way they're the ones to decide.

As I mentioned on anoher post, my daughter went through concussion recovery. The very first step for severe trauma is resting the brain and avoiding anything that would cause the brain to try to function, such as watching TV or sporting events or the task of academia.
I'm certain PSU had established a baseline on normal brain function. Basically it's a test to see how quick your brain responds to questions and reaction skills.
The other issue, is the symptoms. Headaches, dizziness , concentration and light depervation are common issues. Some of the symptoms are treated by doing eye exercises. Another treatment for dizziness is a therapy where they put your head parallel to floor and rotate it and then return head to a normal upright position.
Everybody symptoms are different.
University of Pittsburgh has one the best concussion programs in the country.

Last edited:
Hasn’t Brady already returned for a match?

I thought he wrested once already, not sure if there was a set back or they are just get him back slowly?

Nope. Only the ones who chime in on the record that Berge’s health is more important than wins want what's best for Berge. :)
This is kind of ridiculous. That's like saying "only people who are on the record that Nick Lee's mom not getting killed by an asteroid is more important than wins want what's best for Nick". We're posting on here because we're fans of a team. There are thousands of students at Penn State right now dealing with issues way more important than wrestling, but we're not talking about them here because this is a wrestling forum.

Byers just said that Penn State line-up is starting to take shape with the only spot that will likely change is at 157 where Pipher will go tonight because Berge has not yet returned to the lineup. This seems encouraging to me regarding the rumors of Brady being done for the year...
I wonder if Luke Gardner got hurt? Or maybe Jared figured out how to beat him.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I wonder if Luke Gardner got hurt? Or maybe Jared figured out how to beat him.

Thought Gardner wrestled at Shorty last week? Or was it 2 weeks ago?

EDIT: Reminded now that he MFF'd his last match.

Last edited:
This is kind of ridiculous. That's like saying "only people who are on the record that Nick Lee's mom not getting killed by an asteroid is more important than wins want what's best for Nick". We're posting on here because we're fans of a team. There are thousands of students at Penn State right now dealing with issues way more important than wrestling, but we're not talking about them here because this is a wrestling forum.
Your sarcasm meter is broke. Try again. Nobody on here is saying get Berge back on the mat, his health be damned.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Do you have any pics of Nick Lee's mom? Askin' for a friend.

Injury threads on sports message boards remind me of military related posts on social media. Every time it comes up it automatically brings out every "expert" on the subject en masse.

I'll start by saying rumors can be dangerous and at times irresponsible. I remain hopeful that we see Brady back out there before the Iowa dual, kicking some butt and a major contributor to yet one more National championship.

I think we have all been concerned that something just isn't right. Standard concussion protocol doesn't usually last more than a week or two at best. I think the way this has played out indicated there has always been more to this story and indicating something more serious.

The injury Itself was so strange. I watched the video numerous times and never could notice the telltale head snapping back from an impact. Sure you could see where there could have been an impact between the head and knee but even Cael said up front it was hard to tell when/how it happened. Brady just went totally limp. When they said they couldn't revive him matside that was another very disturbing report. The hearing that he was released from the hospital several hours later had us all breathing a big sigh of relief.

I am sure we'll never know the full story but like all of us the main concern is for his long term health. Brady is a good kid and a great talent, I hope we see him someday back at 100% showing us what he can accomplish. Nothing is a given at this point, so any return will be fantastic.

All strings come to an end wether it is duals or national championships but in the the end the kids are more important than the numbers.

Cassar, Conel, Shak, Berge ... maybe it's just not or year and a time for us to reflect back and be thankful. Cael has done so much, a year or two out of the limelight is not such a big deal. We will be back. I am not throwing in the towel by any stretch, but I have no concerns about streaks or championships being sacrificed if it is a touch and go call with any kid's health.

Let's all say a prayer for Brady's long term health and a return to the mat whenever it is safe. Get well! As for the team and competition we can cheer on our final season with Cenzo and Mark, all the way to individual titles and for the rest of our young very talented team, I have seen miracles before. 2nd or 3rd is pretty damned awesome as well - we are blessed - We Are!
Anyone in here know who Sidney Crosby is??? (Sarcasm)

He is the exact poster child for why concussions are the bane of pro sports. It is an injury that has ZERO timetable. All other injuries have a known endpoint with consistent rehab.

Sidney Crosby lost 68 straight game and 114 in his career. But that 68 showed just how problematic it can be to get your star back in the game. Game after game and week after week Crosby was on the day to day list.....

there is no usually when it regards concussions. No idea what Brady’s status is, but when he’s ready and able he will wrestle. Until then...it could be 68 matches go by.

Two words, for anybody who's a wrestling person (nearly everybody on this message board is, and if you're not, welcome!)...Kosta Karageorge.

Reactions: ptomaselli
I personally don't want anyone to think I'm an expert on concussion. The only thing I can confirm, it's very complicated in determining when an athlete if /when he might be able to to return to action.
Heart rate and diet can effect one's headaches related to head injuries.
It truly is an unknown how an individual recovers.
If you recall, Sydney Crosby had a very difficult time a couple of years ago with headaches and eye sight when he would try to comeback and play.
Where as Brady wrestled against Lehigh, I think we can assume that he passed baseline test. He most likely had symptom problems probably from the physical stress put on his body/brain from wrestling.
Let's hope he gets an opportunity to wrestle again.
Let's pray he recovers enough so he doesn't have any side effects in his daily life.

Do you have any pics of Nick Lee's mom? Askin' for a friend.

I don't like talking about kids' mothers, etc. ... But, judging by how tough the Lee boys are, their grandmother probably looks like this: :)

terminator-dark-fate-sarah-connor-vest-(4)-800x800.jpg

Your sarcasm meter is broke. Try again. Nobody on here is saying get Berge back on the mat, his health be damned.
That’s not the point I was (trying to) make at all. Let me try again: Why would anyone need to go on the record saying “wrestler X’s whatever is more important than wins” to demonstrate that you want what’s best for wrestler X? This is a wrestling board, people are here to talk about wrestling. Each of these wrestlers has 1000 things going on in his life that is more important than wins, but we don’t need to talk about them here to show that we want what’s best for the wrestler.

That’s not the point I was (trying to) make at all. Let me try again: Why would anyone need to go on the record saying “wrestler X’s whatever is more important than wins” to demonstrate that you want what’s best for wrestler X? This is a wrestling board, people are here to talk about wrestling. Each of these wrestlers has 1000 things going on in his life that is more important than wins, but we don’t need to talk about them here to show that we want what’s best for the wrestler.
Right on M-I-Z! I was trying to say the same as you, but using sarcasm. Substantively, we are on the same wavelength.

(Of course, if someone is organically moved to say true things, I’m okay with it, as long as that doesn’t create an obligation for everyone else to echo the true, obvious thing.)

Reactions: pish69
This concussion deal hope for Brady he comes out ok. If he was my son I would surely wait till the last test to allow him to try his whole life is ahead of him and is more important than wrestling so every one lets show some faith and pray and wait to see how this develops.

Was BB with the team yesterday? I thought I spotted him at Illinois.

So what's the rumor?

So what's the rumor?

Cael has suggested that Berge’s issue could linger deep into the season.

During his coach’s show a few weeks back, he said, “When you’re dealing with a concussion, you want to be ultra safe and make sure he has as much time as possible. Obviously, this year our goal as a team is to be ready to go in March.”

And when reporters asked him that week when Berge would be back on the mat, he said, “It’s going to be hit and miss a little bit. We just want to do what’s in his best interest. Our plan is, we’re trying to get ready for March.

Seems entirely possible to me that “there is no timetable for his return” has been run through the rumor mill and come out the other end as “I’m hearing he’s done for the year” (which is the rumor you will find in other threads on this board).

Reactions: searay26 and Ski
Standard concussion protocol usually doesn't last LESS than a couple weeks. We had a high school kid who has been out for over 4 weeks with the protocol. They are insanely cautious about this now and it is tough to get cleared until the docs are feeling safe and secure.

Was just going to post this. I have had kids enter into nine week concussion protocol programs. It is really dependent on the kid. Losing consciousness definitely extends the protocol into another phase. Thankfully, we don’t mess around with this kind of stuff anymore in sports. You only get one brain.

This is just my opinion as an engineer offering medical diagnosis but, that fact that Berge has wrestled since the injury is probably a negative. To me that means he cleared protocol, but the exertion of the match caused him to be symptomatic again. I had a player I coached in hockey that missed almost his entire SR. season due to concussion. He could pass all of his normal concussion protocol tests but the exertion test would bring on symptoms.

Hopefully this isn't having a negative impact in areas other than sport. In the big picture sports is pretty minor.

My son was concussed his last match of his Sr. year. State quarter finals. He was out cold for about a minute. Coach went out on the mat and stopped the match. Ref dinged the team a point for stepping on the mat but that is besides the point. He has never wrestled again more than helping coach a little. It took him almost 2 years to get part of his memory back. The last part of his senior year is a complete blur. So Mr. Berge hope you heal soon but more importantly heal completely.

As a adult I’ve had 3 concussions and wrestled in high school pretty sure of at least one time where I lost memory in school. Now at 58 I have moments where I can’t think for a period of time. Very worrisome so I Pray every caution is taken

This is just my opinion as an engineer offering medical diagnosis but, that fact that Berge has wrestled since the injury is probably a negative. To me that means he cleared protocol, but the exertion of the match caused him to be symptomatic again. I had a player I coached in hockey that missed almost his entire SR. season due to concussion. He could pass all of his normal concussion protocol tests but the exertion test would bring on symptoms.

Hopefully this isn't having a negative impact in areas other than sport. In the big picture sports is pretty minor.
Simaler to my thoughts.

Not a doc, but I think 2 weeks would be minimum for recovery for even minor symptoms. I still maintain that Daryl Clark should not have been playing against Iowa in 2008. It probably cost us a national title shot. Given what happened here I think you'd be beyond just standard concussion protocol. I'm also guessing it could have a psychological impact for a while even if he's been medically cleared. He'll be back when he's ready. I'd much rather be 2nd than have him risk anything long-term.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT