ADVERTISEMENT

Berge or Verk at 149?

Who is favored to man the spot next year? Berge is the bigger recruit but if I recall he wasn't super active this past year. Is he too big for 149?
The way Berge has been wrestling in the room against certain guys Verk will not touch him !!!! He will put you on your back from any position and you are not getting out....

9GGhuEK.jpg

That is the best damn post I've seen in a long, long time.

How do you make pastrami? Brine it then smoke it? Do you have a recipe?
Essentially, you make a corned beef with a brisket, by curing/brining in a load of salt and spices, then pat a simple rub on it, and smoke it. We ate it this evening, and it did not last long.

I'll get a recipe on here tomorrow.

Reactions: lionlover
A GhostK thread about pierogis was posted and deleted yesterday and I missed it? See what happens when you take your wife to NYC for a few days and don’t visit the forums, you miss important stuff!

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Talking today on my page with the DeAugustino fellas and Tom Elling, etc, and the feeling is that Berge was of course wrestling a bit closer to his walking around weight last season so the idea that he didn't go 49 in his brief open comp, they don't feel that will affect where he goes this year. So, in short, Verk and Berge could both go at 149 this season coming up. Should be exiting.

A GhostK thread about pierogis was posted and deleted yesterday and I missed it? See what happens when you take your wife to NYC for a few days and don’t visit the forums, you miss important stuff!
PAgeologist (in this thread) stated that he was getting the recipe from his wife and he would post the recipe. NO luck as of yet :(

I have one also that I will post, interesting to see different versions. Mine uses both sauerkraut as well as cabbage (bagged cole slaw mix). Took a community college Polish cooking class.

Is this also the thread that mentioned the Uuni pizza oven? Nice to hear someone has used it and likes it. I would like to get one. Would love to build a wood fired pizza oven in my backyard. I had the wife’s permission once after a day drinking episode, but she sobered up.....

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
Okay, here's the homemade pastrami recipe. The recipe is from Tori Avey.

• 3 quarts water
  • 1/2 cup Morton's coarse kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup pink curing salt (Also known as curing salt or prague powder- NOT Himalayan pink salt. See safety note below.)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp pickling spice
  • 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
  • 1 tbsp whole yellow mustard seeds
  • 4 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 3-4 lbs beef brisket
Spice Rub Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup ground coriander
  • 2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tbsp smoked paprika

See the full post:https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/homemade-pastrami/#7zrK1OqPivs7c56q.99

I don't follow her instructions, so I'll just tell you how I do it, rather than show the differences.

1. Order your brisket in time to have it custom cut. Tell them you are smoking the meat and to leave a little extra fat cap on it.
2. Mix all of the curing ingredients in a pan large enough to hold the brisket. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Put the brisket in, and sit in your fridge for 5-7 days.
3. By the way, the pink curing salt is optional. I haven't used it, yet, as I couldn't find it at my grocery store, and my pastrami has turned out great. I suppose if you were going to store the meat for any length of time, it might be good to have it in there, but trust me, this meat is not going to sit around.
4. When you're ready to smoke, take the meat out of the brine, rinse it off, and place it in water for a couple of hours to take out extra salt.
5. Take the meat out of the water and pat dry with paper towels. Mix up the rub ingredients and spread all over the meat.
6. Put meat on the smoker at 200-250 for four hours.
7. Remove meat, wrap tightly in foil, and place in oven for 2 more hours at 250F. (Personally, I believe this takes the place of steaming, which is how Tori cooks hers.)
8. Remove from oven, cut into thin slices, then stand back as your guests devour it.
9. One final trick: just before you step away from the meat, grab yourself a slice. Otherwise, you might not get any at all.

This is my mom showing how to make pierogi from my Grandmother's recipe (4 videos) ....
Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

This is a 70+ year Christmas Eve tradition in my family (though I have only been around for 50).
Easter means Halupki (stuffed cabbage) .... I probably have the recipe for that somewhere

This is my mom showing how to make pierogi from my Grandmother's recipe (4 videos) ....
Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

This is a 70+ year Christmas Eve tradition in my family (though I have only been around for 50).
Easter means Halupki (stuffed cabbage) .... I probably have the recipe for that somewhere

If you are in Minneapolis (BIGs) or Pittsburgh (nationals) next year.... I owe you a beer :)

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Great, Thanks! Your Mom wouldn't happen to have a good nutroll and/or paska recipe and video, would she?

I'll get the nutroll recipe - it is good

That would be great. Haven't has good nutroll since my Aunt passed away a number of years ago. As a kid we lived next door so I could compare dinner menus and pick which I wanted most.

Pierogi recipe
18 cups flour
1tbsp sugar
1tbsp salt
6tbsp oil
1and a half tsp baking powder
12 eggs
4 or 4.5 cups water
Mix well . let rest a half hour

For sauerkraut filing cook a couple potatoes.
Rinse the sauerkraut. Cut up the Sauerkraut with scissors. Chop and saute onion. Add onion and celery salts and pepper mash in the potatoes.

Sorry if it's vauge and choppy. My mother in law and aunt don't generally use standard written recipies.

Pierogi recipe
18 cups flour
1tbsp sugar
1tbsp salt
6tbsp oil
1and a half tsp baking powder
12 eggs
4 or 4.5 cups water
Mix well . let rest a half hour

For sauerkraut filing cook a couple potatoes.
Rinse the sauerkraut. Cut up the Sauerkraut with scissors. Chop and saute onion. Add onion and celery salts and pepper mash in the potatoes.

Sorry if it's vauge and choppy. My mother in law and aunt don't generally use standard written recipies.
Well, that will be two beers that I owe :)

Reactions: PAgeologist
Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

PLEASE post your Halupki recipe! Haven't had a good one since my Slovak grandmother-in-law passed 20 years ago. Please? My gawd they are good.

Okay, here's the homemade pastrami recipe. The recipe is from Tori Avey.

• 3 quarts water
  • 1/2 cup Morton's coarse kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup pink curing salt (Also known as curing salt or prague powder- NOT Himalayan pink salt. See safety note below.)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp pickling spice
  • 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
  • 1 tbsp whole yellow mustard seeds
  • 4 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 3-4 lbs beef brisket
Spice Rub Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup ground coriander
  • 2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tbsp smoked paprika

See the full post:https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/homemade-pastrami/#7zrK1OqPivs7c56q.99

I don't follow her instructions, so I'll just tell you how I do it, rather than show the differences.

1. Order your brisket in time to have it custom cut. Tell them you are smoking the meat and to leave a little extra fat cap on it.
2. Mix all of the curing ingredients in a pan large enough to hold the brisket. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Put the brisket in, and sit in your fridge for 5-7 days.
3. By the way, the pink curing salt is optional. I haven't used it, yet, as I couldn't find it at my grocery store, and my pastrami has turned out great. I suppose if you were going to store the meat for any length of time, it might be good to have it in there, but trust me, this meat is not going to sit around.
4. When you're ready to smoke, take the meat out of the brine, rinse it off, and place it in water for a couple of hours to take out extra salt.
5. Take the meat out of the water and pat dry with paper towels. Mix up the rub ingredients and spread all over the meat.
6. Put meat on the smoker at 200-250 for four hours.
7. Remove meat, wrap tightly in foil, and place in oven for 2 more hours at 250F. (Personally, I believe this takes the place of steaming, which is how Tori cooks hers.)
8. Remove from oven, cut into thin slices, then stand back as your guests devour it.
9. One final trick: just before you step away from the meat, grab yourself a slice. Otherwise, you might not get any at all.
I will have to try this. My dad slow roasted a corned beef for st Patty's day and it was fantastic. He bought it already corned though.

I will have to try this. My dad slow roasted a corned beef for st Patty's day and it was fantastic. He bought it already corned though.
The problem with buying it already corned is that you are probably paying a higher price for a lot of salt water.

Let me know how it turns out.

Easier than corned beef, biscuits make it special -

RACCOON STEW
1 (4 lb.) raccoon, cut into cubes
2 or 3 onions, sliced
2 to 3 c. canned tomatoes, chopped
Salt & pepper
Bay leaf
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Carrots
Onions
Potatoes
Turnips

Brown the meat cubes slowly in a Dutch oven. There should be enough fat within the tissues that no additional oil is required. Add onions during the last of the browning process so they won't become scorched. Reduce the heat, add enough tomatoes and liquid to cover the meat, season and cover. Simmer over low heat until almost completely tender. Add cubed vegetables of your choice and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender. Serve hot with biscuits.

The problem with buying it already corned is that you are probably paying a higher price for a lot of salt water.

Let me know how it turns out.
I agree. Neither of us tried corned beef before, except on sandwiches. So we figured this would be the best way to try it. Dad got a pretty good deal on it at a restaurant wholesaler.

RACCOON STEW
2 or 3 onions, sliced
Salt & pepper
Bay leaf
Carrots
Onions
Potatoes
Turnips

Brown the meat cubes slowly in a Dutch oven. There should be enough fat within the tissues that no additional oil is required. Add onions during the last of the browning process so they won't become scorched. Reduce the heat, add enough tomatoes and liquid to cover the meat, season and cover. Simmer over low heat until almost completely tender. Add cubed vegetables of your choice and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender. Serve hot with biscuits.

I have an uncle that at age 80 still coon hunts. I have had coon stew, coon pot pie and coon jerky. cant say any of it was bad. I have also had ground hog jerky.

But making things in a stew can mask the true taste. I made a fish stew/chowder last year from pine creek white fish or chubs or fall fish, whatever different people call them. Old timers on the creek said for years that they were good, but boney. The stew was great but the bones annoyed my wife/kids.

RACCOON STEW
2 or 3 onions, sliced
Salt & pepper
Bay leaf
Carrots
Onions
Potatoes
Turnips

Is Mike Zadick your supplier?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT