ADVERTISEMENT

Berge Article - SIAP

He only wrestled 5 matches his redshirt year. All at the same 1 day open in early November. Thus, I don’t think it is out if the question that if he can’t continue this year and if he seeks another year he might get another year.

In 2013-14 he was 15-3 wrestling unattached as a RS Fr.
In 2014-15 he went 29-6 overall and reached AA status.
In 2015-16 he went 32-4 overall and again became an AA.
In 2016-17 he was an AA with a 30-6 record
In 2017-18 injury
in 2018-19 he was national champ.

When it comes to the NCAA I don't think there are any rules that are in black and white.

Thanks Jack, could you kindly do the same for Cassar and Shak? TIA

Cassar Rasheed Year
15-8 4-1 2015
DNW 17-7 2016
DNW 5-1 2017
15-2 24-5 2018
30-1 21-2 2019
3-0 4-4 2020

Cassar only wrestled in 4 seasons including this year and only wrestled in 1 postseason.

Rasheed wrestled in 6 years but in 2015 he only wrestled in 1 open, in 2017 he wrestled into December (1 dual) and then was hurt.

Cassar 74 matches
Rasheed 95 matches

Reactions: Dogwelder
He only wrestled 5 matches his redshirt year. All at the same 1 day open in early November. Thus, I don’t think it is out if the question that if he can’t continue this year and if he seeks another year he might get another year.
It’s not out of the question. The point I and others have made is Berge currently doesn’t qualify and you are hoping for a ruling from the NCAA in the middle of his soph year. There clearly have been some recent exceptions but there is no guidance to help with the decision. Hence....if he’s healthy, he wrestles.

I agree with you Cowbell. I am not sure that there is such a thing as qualify anymore plus who knows what the rules will be in 2-3 years. I also think that a concussion is fundamentally different than most injuries. Thus, his injury, a comeback, a setback and then another attempt is perfectly consistent with one lingering injury. If for some reason he cannot wrestle anymore this year (I hope he can), I think he has a good argument of a year lost to injury regardless of whether his second match was in February or November.

If for some reason he cannot wrestle anymore this year (I hope he can), I think he has a good argument of a year lost to injury regardless of whether his second match was in February or November.
In the Court of Human Compassion, of course he has a good argument.

In Mark Emmert's NCAA?

Based on the latest amendment proposal, https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=102970 in conjunction with the most recent amendments to the rule, I would say there's a decent chance.
Tabled for 2+ yrs and counting ... when is it next uo for review?

The question really is: how willing is the NCAA to approve a case under a specific tabled rule change -- i.e., approve the rule by the back door?

Seems like the kind of thing to hope for if already pursuing a path, but risky to expect.

Tabled for 2+ yrs and counting ... when is it next uo for review?

The question really is: how willing is the NCAA to approve a case under a specific tabled rule change -- i.e., approve the rule by the back door?

Seems like the kind of thing to hope for if already pursuing a path, but risky to expect.
Tabled 4/19/2019

Great news guys: There's no way Berge wouldn't get a 6th year because Cael controls the NCAA, that's why he operates at 99 scholarships instead of 9.9. He also controls the FloWrestling media/rankings and the State College Police Department.

Did folks here read the article I posted as OP, and/or watch the Cael interview therein? I know Caelspeak on injuries is not much easier to understand than newspeak: but it does not seem likely at all to me that we’re going to see Brady compete again this season. Hope I’m wrong.

Not to put the cart in front of the horse but, If Berge is good to go with zero setbacks and intends to be competing in the post season, wouldn't it be a good idea to send him to the Mat-Town Open II this Sunday at Lock Haven? It could greatly improve his potential seed at NCAAs if he could somehow finish the B1G Tournament with at least 8 matches under his belt.

The competition really has nothing to do with it as long as they're D1 guys. It's about getting enough matches to qualify for the coaches rank and win%.
But is that going to happen anyway?

IDK the min # matches for either ranking but it's probably not achievable at Mat Town. Can't see him wrestling 5 or 6 matches in one day, for example.

Which means he'd also have to go to National Collegiate Open next weekend to get in matches -- and the first 1 or 2 rounds there might not be D1 opponents.

Really hard to imagine going to Mat Town, NCO, and B10s in consecutive weekends.

But is that going to happen anyway?

IDK the min # matches for either ranking but it's probably not achievable at Mat Town. Can't see him wrestling 5 or 6 matches in one day, for example.

Which means he'd also have to go to NCO next weekend to get in matches -- and the first 1 or 2 rounds there might not be D1 opponents.

Really hard to imagine going to Mat Town, NCO, and B10s in consecutive weekends.
If he gets 3 matches at Mat-Town II that should be good enough. He only needs 8 matches through the B1G tournament to qualify for CR, win% and obtain bronze standard.

Forgot that included B10 matches ...
Yeah, so if he's good to go, it seems like a good idea to send him to Lock Haven. It could mean the difference between a 30 or so seed at NCAAs and a 15 or so seed. Not to mention aquiring bronze standard would make him eligible for a chance at an at-large bid if he didn't obtain an auto-qualifier spot.

"Kinder gentler NCAA" is supposition. We don't know that. And Cael cannot ask for that in advance.

If he did not suffer a setback -- which nobody has credibly said he has -- then he is still medically cleared to wrestle. How does anyone expect the NCAA to grant an extra year to a wrestler who (a) wrestled so late in the year, (b) is medically cleared to continue wrestling?

Expecting this is like expecting Scarlett Johansson in my bedroom uninvited.
If you think I'm letting Scarlett leave here, you really are crazy.

Based on the latest amendment proposal, https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=102970 in conjunction with the most recent amendments to the rule, I would say there's a decent chance.
FWIW this amendment proposal received tremendous support in the council vote getting 61 yes votes to adopt and only 3 no's to defeat 95.3% support. It was tabled to be considered as part of the overall review of seasons of competition legislation. So the likelihood of this being adopted whenever they do that review is very high in my opinion. Here's the link, it's proposal # 2018-41.
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/council/Apr2019D1Council_Report.pdf

Last edited:
FWIW this amendment proposal received tremendous support in the council vote getting 61 yes votes to adopt and only 3 no's to defeat 95.3% support. It was tabled to be considered as part of the overall review of seasons of competition legislation. So the likelihood of this being adopted whenever they do that review is very high in my opinion. Here's the link, it's proposal # 2018-41.
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/council/Apr2019D1Council_Report.pdf
With that amendment, if it passes and it seems like it would....another season is likely, provided one wants to stay in school that long.

So...Berges wrestling career is over? In that case we only want the best for his health and a safe normal life. Perhaps coaching? Maybe not you have to roll around on the mat to coach?

So...Berges wrestling career is over? In that case we only want the best for his health and a safe normal life. Perhaps coaching? Maybe not you have to roll around on the mat to coach?
Where'd you see that? It's been announced his season is over--but I haven't seen anything about his career. Either way, health and safety are good initial goals....

ADVERTISEMENT