ADVERTISEMENT

Bellator signs controversial former NCAA All-American Pat Downey III

Sportfan2017

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2017
NOBODY SAW THIS COMING: This is the ESPN write-up. It's all good :)

Earlier this week, Bellator signed Pat Downey III, a former NCAA Division I All-American wrestler, to a contract, the promotion confirmed with ESPN on Friday.

Downey, 29, has yet to make his MMA debut. He will compete in Bellator's middleweight division.

Downey, who is training out of the vaunted Sanford MMA in Deerfield Beach, Florida, has had several out-of-competition issues, including being kicked off the Iowa State University wrestling team in 2017 because of repeated violations of team rules. In November 2009, Downey was charged with assault after beating up a Towson University student, breaking his jaw and knocking out four of his teeth. Downey pleaded guilty in the case and served six days in jail.

In 2020, Downey was dropped by the New Jersey Regional Training Center for derogatory tweets about Greco-Roman and women's wrestling.

OK>>>>Let's give him a Quality MMA name that fits his personality and resume.....And GO :)
1. "The Natty Light Bulge"

2. Your Turn :)

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
I just sent him $300 for some MMA shorts. Was that a mistake?
Nah, it was actually a pretty brilliant move. Those shorts will be worth major $$$ after PDIII wins the Bellator middleweight championship by month's end and immediately promotes to the UFC as the #1 PFP guy. May be as valuable as Roger Clemens' 1984 Red Sox rookie baseball card.

Nah, it was actually a pretty brilliant move. Those shorts will be worth major $$$ after PDIII wins the Bellator middleweight championship by month's end and immediately promotes to the UFC as the #1 PFP guy. May be as valuable as Roger Clemens' 1984 Red Sox rookie baseball card.
That 1984 rookie card sells for about 10-15.00. Hell of a 300.00 investment......if you bought a thousand :)

Reactions: PSUbluTX
That seems low. I have several of the 85 Topps card and they hold more value than that.

Maybe PDIII will have paraphernalia worth that much.

That seems low. I have several of the 85 Topps card and they hold more value than that.

Maybe PDIII will have paraphernalia worth that much.
My bad. His first Main set Rookie card was the 1985 Topps....It does sell for 10-15.00 now unless centered and in great shape. His first Rookie card was the 1984 Fleer Update. It appeared in a small end of the year set that was short-printed. That card....if graded 8.5 and up by a major grader is indeed worth around 300.00. I ran a card shop for over 10 years. I know this. How could I mess up the years?? Hint........my 4th can of 9.0% Imperial IPA. I shall punish myself by drinking Milwaukee's Best Light for a week :)

Reactions: liex26 and danoftw
I have 55 and 56 Clemente. Card broker says without getting a PSA grade he would estimate about $6K between them. Will hold for my little guy.

Dream fight, Ed v PD3

Ed is in Bellator, right? Same weight?
Damn I‘d love to see Ed cave his head in.

I have 55 and 56 Clemente. Card broker says without getting a PSA grade he would estimate about $6K between them. Will hold for my little guy.
Roberto was one of my favorites. I loved watching him catch a ball coming off the wall in Wrigley field back in the day.

Dream fight, Ed v PD3

Ed is in Bellator, right? Same weight?
Damn I‘d love to see Ed cave his head in.
You mean Illinois assistant coach Ed Ruth? Not gonna happen.

That's before Downey pulls his usual no-show routine.

I have '61 Clemente Post cereal card. Unfortunately not in the best condition.
I traded a '83 Wade Boggs card for it from a kid when we were in middle school(Jr high).

Have a bunch of Ripken's famous error card. All versions. We thought it was going to be worth a bunch. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT