ADVERTISEMENT

Bellaire 201 Tonight

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
Anyone out there watching Ed Ruth tonight? I was going to go and watch the fight live but some family stuff came up. I'm sure that a lot of us would like to know how Ed does. He has a pretty decent opponent to deal with.

That show tonight probably puts him into the Bellator Welterweight Grand Prix that is starting in September. 8 top guys in that weight (Daley, MVP, Lima, Koreshkov, Larkin, Fitch, Askren out of retirement for one last run?) bracket are solid so it will be interesting to see where he stands against the vets with Rory waiting in the wings for the winner.

Reactions: diggerpup
I don't watch a lot of MMA except for Ed's fights so this opinion isn't informed, but that looked like Ed's most impressive outing. He seemed content to work on his boxing in the second round, even after he showed in the first round that he could stay out of danger by getting a takedown and going behind.

Ed doesn't appear to have a ton of power but has a pretty accurate jab, which left Murad's face looking like a bruised pizza. Reminded me why I don't watch this sport. Ed didn't appear tired late in the second despite having to make 170 for this fight, he was dancing and on his toes. Murad couldn't really touch him all fight.

I suppose the real question for Ed is what happens if he gets seriously tagged. Some MMA guys can take punches until they're unconscious (Murad appears to be one of those guys) and some guys' lights go out when you hit them just right. Ed is tough to get near so he's not really had to take too many square punches.

He has looked better each fight. The only issue tonight were those leg kicks. Against a high caliber guy, those will do serious damage. Although, I think he could have went to the ground at his choosing at any time.

He has looked better each fight. The only issue tonight were those leg kicks. Against a high caliber guy, those will do serious damage. Although, I think he could have went to the ground at his choosing at any time.

Yeah. Definitely looked like he was trying to work on punching Rather than going to the ground.

I don't watch a lot of MMA except for Ed's fights so this opinion isn't informed, but that looked like Ed's most impressive outing. He seemed content to work on his boxing in the second round, even after he showed in the first round that he could stay out of danger by getting a takedown and going behind.

Ed doesn't appear to have a ton of power but has a pretty accurate jab, which left Murad's face looking like a bruised pizza. Reminded me why I don't watch this sport. Ed didn't appear tired late in the second despite having to make 170 for this fight, he was dancing and on his toes. Murad couldn't really touch him all fight.

I suppose the real question for Ed is what happens if he gets seriously tagged. Some MMA guys can take punches until they're unconscious (Murad appears to be one of those guys) and some guys' lights go out when you hit them just right. Ed is tough to get near so he's not really had to take too many square punches.
Me either, but he looked impressive. Amazing he's comfortable at 170. He can do some damage there.

Man, his opponent looked like Paul Bradley in minutes, the way that Bradley would need a head wrap after the opening hand shake of his wrestling matches.

That show tonight probably puts him into the Bellator Welterweight Grand Prix that is starting in September. 8 top guys in that weight (Daley, MVP, Lima, Koreshkov, Larkin, Fitch, Askren out of retirement for one last run?) bracket are solid so it will be interesting to see where he stands against the vets with Rory waiting in the wings for the winner.
Ruth's bracket at the Grand Prix is out.

Reactions: tikk10
Man, his opponent looked like Paul Bradley in minutes, the way that Bradley would need a head wrap after the opening hand shake of his wrestling matches.

Man, that brings back memories of seeing both Eric & Paul Bradley at the Midlands with huge wraps around their heads after they butted heads a LOT.

Reactions: iowaHOXXX
So Ed gets Neiman Gracie, an also-undefeated guy with a legendary name. Doubt he's fought anyone like Ed, but I don't think Ed's fought anyone as good as him either. Anyone who follows MMA want to predict what'll happen here?
I like Ed's chances. I'm sure Gracie is a phenomenal Jujitsu guy with that name, but Ed has competed in that area a bit too. I doubt Gracie has seen anyone with the wrestling ability of Ruth, but I haven't seen him fight before.
My prediction is that Ruth wins this on his feet though.

Reactions: tikk10
Man, that brings back memories of seeing both Eric & Paul Bradley at the Midlands with huge wraps around their heads after they butted heads a LOT.
Truer words couldn't be spoken, but Eric Bradley had leather skin compared to Paul, who would get busted open from sweat hitting his face!

I came from a boxing family, so cuts go with the turf, but the night that Paul Bradley was literally stitched up at matside with no anesthetic to stop a cut was almost beyond my ability to watch. Man, that was crude!

... what happens if he gets seriously tagged. Some MMA guys can take punches until they're unconscious ... and some guys' lights go out when you hit them just right ...
And the latter guys--those whose lights go out when you hit them just right--they took punches until they were unconscious as a result of getting hit just right. ;) #circles

Obviously, I'm late to the party with MMA news, but I just now saw a fight between Paul Bradley and Chris Honeycutt, whom everyone thought would be the biggest badbutt of MMA once he left wrestling, and Bradley just completely shelled the clown ( I was never a fan, obviously).

Persona on the mat doesn't always match with fighting skills, eh?

Obviously, I'm late to the party with MMA news, but I just now saw a fight between Paul Bradley and Chris Honeycutt, whom everyone thought would be the biggest badbutt of MMA once he left wrestling, and Bradley just completely shelled the clown ( I was never a fan, obviously).

Persona on the mat doesn't always match with fighting skills, eh?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT