ADVERTISEMENT

Beau Bartlett at 133, RBY at 141, Lee at 149.

Can we PLEASE keep the wrestling board for wrestling!? I don’t want to hear your opinions on masks. Nothing anyone writes or posts will change anyone’s mind. Wrestling, people, wrestling!
giphy.gif

On one hand, I could see Cael redshirting everyone if there is risk of NCAA’s not happening.

On the other hand, a limited regular season schedule is basically Cael’s dream since he really only cares about NCAA’s. And I find it highly unlikely if NCAA’s get canceled again that they won’t give eligibility relief this time.

They also didn't stay home, dope.

I stayed home.
Please quarantine that topic in its own thread:

Yeah, I was just trying to see how many Lee/Bartlett, Bartlett/Lee threads we could get going at one time. Didn't mean to dredge up that stuff.

I guess your point is that this has already been talked about a lot?

I do think it’s worth revisiting the Lee to 149 talk now that we know what other guys will be at those weights. Some of the early discussion revolved around Yianni, who of course is not competing at all. And now we know it seems Eierman will be at 141. So 149 is definitely winnable for Lee

There is no way that Nick Lee doesn't believe he can't win it at 141! I don't think he will be running from anyone.

There is no way that Nick Lee doesn't believe he can't win it at 141! I don't think he will be running from anyone.

Of course. I don't consider it "running." I just think he has just as good of a chance if not better to win 149 as he does 141, so the dropoff shouldn't be much if any. However Bartlett at 141 is probably much better than Bartlett (or whoever) at 149.

Of course. I don't consider it "running." I just think he has just as good of a chance if not better to win 149 as he does 141, so the dropoff shouldn't be much if any. However Bartlett at 141 is probably much better than Bartlett (or whoever) at 149.
Serious question. Has Cael ever asked a better wrestler to give up his preferred weight to a worse wrestler? I ask because every wrestler that comes to mind who went at a weight that was clearly suboptimal for himself did so because his natural weight had someone better—e.g., Shak, Morgan, ... I may be over looking examples, which is why I’m asking.

EDIT: the only arguable example that comes to my mind is Bubba Jenkins, whose details are “too unique” and are not well remembered by me, so for this question, I’m hoping for non-Bubba answers.

Last edited:
Serious question. Has Cael ever asked a better wrestler to give up his preferred weight to a worse wrestler? I ask because every wrestler that comes to mind who went at a weight that was clearly suboptimal for himself did so because his natural weight had someone better—e.g., Shak, Morgan, ... I may be over looking examples, which is why I’m asking.

EDIT: the only arguable example that comes to my mind is Bubba Jenkins, whose details are “too unique” and are not well remembered by me, so for this question, I’m hoping for non-Bubba answers.

Fair question, and I’m not sure it’s happened. To be honest I’m not really a PSU fan, just like discussing wrestling so maybe others have better memories...

But would Rasheed/Nickal switching weights from 2018 to 2019 be comparable? I thought most reports were that 184 was Rasheed’s ideal weight. Obviously Bo still killed everyone at 197 but if Bo is going around weighing in at 193 for 92kg/203lb FS events (according to Pyles), seems like he probably could have made 184 withot much problem.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Fair question, and I’m not sure it’s happened. To be honest I’m not really a PSU fan, just like discussing wrestling so maybe others have better memories...

But would Rasheed/Nickal switching weights from 2018 to 2019 be comparable? I thought most reports were that 184 was Rasheed’s ideal weight. Obviously Bo still killed everyone at 197 but if Bo is going around weighing in at 193 for 92kg/203lb FS events (according to Pyles), seems like he probably could have made 184 withot much problem.
No on both counts -- Bo was the better wrestler, and he chose his weight as opposed to Cael asking him to move.

No on both counts -- Bo was the better wrestler, and he chose his weight as opposed to Cael asking him to move.

Probably true, although did Bo actually state that (I have no idea)? And to be fair, do we have any proof that Cael has ever "asked" a wrestler to do anything other than win, score bonus points, have fun, and not get in trouble?

Probably true, although did Bo actually state that (I have no idea)? And to be fair, do we have any proof that Cael has ever "asked" a wrestler to do anything other than win, score bonus points, have fun, and not get in trouble?
Bo didn't want to be an underdog to Myles Martin for another year.

proof that Cael has ever "asked" a wrestler to do anything other than win

I don't believe Cael focuses on winning (the result). Instead I believe he asks wrestlers to improve and do all the right things consistent with their goals, which leads the kind of performance at a high level that makes one a winner.

Remember when Bo broke apart the room by moving up to 184.

I’m assuming this is sarcasm? I do see a quote where it looks like Bo basically says 174 was too much of a cut. Don’t see much on his move to 197 other than speculation that it was to prepare for the Olympics (as discussed here, I think many would argue that 149 is better for preparing for 65kg).

If Lee goes up I don’t think it would “break apart the room.” It would be because Cael thought it was best for the team and Lee was good with it. I could certainly see him saying something to Lee like “it’s your choice, but I think you can win 149, and Beau will score more points at 141 than any of these other dudes at 149.

Agreed. Nick is the best 141 in the country. The rest of the field is wrestling for 2nd. He’ll smoke Seabass and beat Eierman again.

Love your confidence! Nick has a history of not running from a challenge. From going after Stevan Micic as a freshman to Chad Red after wrestling only 3 matches and coming off an injury, his junior year before the State Tournament.

As a fellow Hoosier, I am very much looking forward to seeing Nick at the top of the podium in March!

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
I saw Nick on College Ave today as I drove by. Guy really commands a presence—looks 5” taller than he is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT