ADVERTISEMENT

Beau Bartlett at 133, RBY at 141, Lee at 149.

MikeJones2353

Mar 22, 2020
It's our best lineup and Cael likes moving guys up a weight as they mature. It's a win/win in my opinion.

Didn't RBY just say he was moving up to 141, then a day later said it was a joke? I'd assume he wouldn't come back and say it was a joke if it was actually true

EDIT: found it

• Haha
Reactions: PABulldogs
Am still in the redshirt everyone camp. We just don't know what will happen yet.
Even if they preserve their redshirts to start the season, I imagine they would still want to be ready to burn the shirts on relatively short notice, if the tournament turns into a go, and if every other team starts burning shirts. I can’t imagine Cael being content to watch others win, when PSU is bursting with guys who (I assume) are eager to start competing.

So there still has to be a plan to answer which stud would go which weight.

Last edited:
It's our best lineup and Cael likes moving guys up a weight as they mature. It's a win/win in my opinion.

RBY seems small imo. I think he is best suited for 133 and Bartlett at 141 with Lee bumping up to 149.
It will be interesting to see how the year plays out, if we go with our best lineup now and no redshirts, I see no reason why we can’t win it all in March

Reactions: Antaeus
There were 2 hours in between tweets. My guess is that he wasn't supposed to say anything so he back tracked.
You apparently never saw a college sign saying: "FREE BEER! Now that I have your attention ..."

Regarding the initial post: IF they go -- which is far from certain -- RBY is the likely 133 national champ assuming he can hold the weight. Who's beating him with Micic shirting, Suriano dropping, and Fix in limbo (likely rusty and possibly dropping)?

Moving him up to a much more loaded 141 is high risk, low reward.

And just to add that Beau has said he would go either 33 or 41, whichever he was asked to go. Assuming a Beau redshirt this season, we’re most likely looking at RBY/Beau in 33-41 in one order or the other (probably based on whether RBY wants to move up) by next season. In either scenario, to make this work for 21-22 season, should we assume NLee moves up to 49 by then? I’m assuming that would be the case, but have also heard Nick had no trouble with 41 last season.

As of now I would still expect as many guys as possible to redshirt. That may not include RBY but I think it will include most if not all of the freshmen as well as Lee, Brooks and Kerkvliet.
Since Kerkvliet wrestled Saturday for NLWC an OLY RS is assured, assuming last year was a regular red shirt

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
giphy.gif

Last I knew.... people die everyday in the US.
LOL. Not at this rate. Latest # is 200,005. If the normal death rate were applied to that #, how many more people would be alive if there were not a pandemic?

(No politics here unless you insert them. I gave a fact (200,005 deaths) and a formula proposed to show how many more people would probably not have died if there were no ongoing pandemic here. )

Let's keep it apolitical. To say that this many people would have died this year is just silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
So, guessing we have a season and everybody who has a redshirt to burn uses it who is starting?
125 Meredith
133 Claubaugh (sp?)
141 can Blumer make this weight
149 Verkleeren
157 Gardner
165 Lee
174 Starocci
184 Manville
197 Beard
Hwt Nevills

Not going to claim a 9th title, but some really good kids to watch.

LOL. Not at this rate. Latest # is 200,005. If the normal death rate were applied to that #, how many more people would be alive if there were not a pandemic?

(No politics here unless you insert them. I gave a fact (200,005 deaths) and a formula proposed to show how many more people would probably not have died if there were no ongoing pandemic here. )

Let's keep it apolitical. To say that this many people would have died this year is just silly.

So what percentage of the U.S. population (on average) dies during the first eight months of each year, and what percentage of the U.S. population died during the first eight months of 2020?

So, guessing we have a season and everybody who has a redshirt to burn uses it who is starting?
125 Meredith
133 Claubaugh (sp?)
141 can Blumer make this weight
149 Verkleeren
157 Gardner
165 Lee
174 Starocci
184 Manville
197 Beard
Hwt Nevills

Not going to claim a 9th title, but some really good kids to watch.
Manville is qualified for an Olympic shirt for Greco.

I like the scientific approach here, but the proposed formula is wrong. It’s wrong because (1) we should not apply a population death rate to a grossly non-random (skewing old or sickly) subpopulation, and (2) our non-random subpopulation is an undercount because many surely died of COVID without ever getting a COVID test.

Flaw-(1) would overcount COVID deaths, and Flaw-(2) would undercount COVID deaths.

The better formula is simply overall excess deaths, i.e., deaths above what would be expected based on recent (Pre-COVID) per-month death counts. Essentially, what KBay asked for.

(I imagine the excess deaths would be much higher than any edge fuzziness due to fewer car-accident deaths or more suicide deaths, etc. than usual. Much edge fuzziness can probably be estimated away if necessary.)

Last edited:
Does the Starocci freestyle? I wouldn’t rule out him snagging a top eight at senior nationals and getting an Olympic Shirt.

Does the Starocci freestyle? I wouldn’t rule out him snagging a top eight at senior nationals and getting an Olympic Shirt.
Oh, yes, he's a very good freestyle prospect. Fargo double champ.

But I wouldn't rate his chances of Sr Nationals top 8 this year as very good. At 174 he's a tweener with limited Sr level experience.

If he drops to 74 kg/163 lb, he has ahead of him: Burroughs, Dake, Martinez, Nolf, Cenzo. Green presumably will go 74 kg (as his cuts to 65 kg have not gone well). Vallimont, Massa, Marsteller, Marinelli, and Wick (at least) are also in the mix, and wouldn't have the same cut.

Almost forgot Game Winner Richie Lewis.

If he moves up to 86 kg/189 lb, then he's facing that brutal field with a weight/strength/experience disadvantage.

Won't say he can't do it -- will say the odds are against him this year.

Oh, yes, he's a very good freestyle prospect. Fargo double champ.

But I wouldn't rate his chances of Sr Nationals top 8 this year as very good. At 174 he's a tweener with limited Sr level experience.

If he drops to 74 kg/163 lb, he has ahead of him: Burroughs, Dake, Martinez, Nolf, Cenzo. Green presumably will go 74 kg (as his cuts to 65 kg have not gone well). Vallimont, Massa, Marsteller, Marinelli, and Wick (at least) are also in the mix, and wouldn't have the same cut.

Almost forgot Game Winner Richie Lewis.

If he moves up to 86 kg/189 lb, then he's facing that brutal field with a weight/strength/experience disadvantage.

Won't say he can't do it -- will say the odds are against him this year.

U23. WC Mekhi Lewis as well.

That’s some tough sleddin.

Reactions: danoftw and El-Jefe
Though some of the guys in the suggest lineups have redshirts, some must realize this year is one of their best opportunities to see the lineup. Verk, Manville, Nevills in particular
Seth used his last year, and fairly certain he has no ORS (yet) we will probably see him at least.

Seth used his last year, and fairly certain he has no ORS (yet) we will probably see him at least.
I suspect Seth will wrestle this year, but he did NOT use his redshirt last year. He wrestled. Or was that some other HWT that got us all twisted up for losing to Traub?

Though some of the guys in the suggest lineups have redshirts, some must realize this year is one of their best opportunities to see the lineup. Verk, Manville, Nevills in particular
Manville has a legit shot at an Olympic medal in Greco. If I'm him, that's my only athletic priority this year. Especially since any time in folk detracts from Greco training thanks to that pesky no legs rule.

Reactions: CropDuster507
@dbldoofus

People have died. In Pennsylvania, about 7,000 have died and over 5,000 were in nursing homes (who were forced to take them, despite being the last place you want ANY communicable disease). That's in a state of 13M. If you are over 60, and or have multiple comorbidities, you need to be careful-but for the young and healthy, this is a chance to acquire a new immunity-and when 30% or so have it-we have herd immunity.

It's really time to stop whipping this up in to the plague-it's not, and we need to start living normally again. We take chances with all kinds of perils, driving a car, working around HAZ-MAT, eating a nice juicy hamburger and oh yes picking up some woman in bar.

Enough with the sanitary panic.

ADVERTISEMENT