ADVERTISEMENT

Beat the Streets Philadelphia up for $50,000 grant -- please vote

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012

The Wawa Foundation Hero Award
The Wawa Foundation Hero Award honors a non-profit organization that is committed to serving the greater Philadelphia area by assisting others and advancing our communities through preserving our freedom, protecting our safety, inspiring learning, and encouraging and empowering others to become better citizens and community members.

Vote for the story that inspires you the most, and help us decide which non-profit should receive The Wawa Foundation Hero Award and $50,000 grant!

Voting Period: June 20 – June 29, 2016
Limit one vote per person.

Beat the Streets Philadelphia up for $50,000 grant

Beat the Streets Philadelphia has been named a finalist for the first ever Wawa "Hero Award", a $50,000 grant given to a non-profit dedicated to improving the community, and promoting good citizenship. I can tell you first hand that BTSP is doing incredible things with kids in the Philadelphia area. I think anyone who wrestles knows how much character this sport builds, and on top of that, the mentoring center they provide is helping kids get into college who normally would never have considered it a possibility. The winner will be determined via online vote, the link to vote is here, thewawafoundation.org/hero-award/. I can't stress enough how awesome this organization is, and any votes are incredibly appreciated. You can help grow the sport and provide opportunities for underpriveledged kids with the click of a button, it's an easy win win.
Although Philly has never been a hot bed for wrestling, BTSP has the potential to turn this around. Last year alone they had 2 state qualifiers, which may not sound like a lot, but is HUGE for the area. One of them returns next season, so keep your eyes peeled for Miles Lee from South Philly high, kid has the potential to be really good, and last year was only his first full year of wrestling on a team.

Beat the Streets Philadelphia has been named a finalist for the first ever Wawa "Hero Award", a $50,000 grant given to a non-profit dedicated to improving the community, and promoting good citizenship. I can tell you first hand that BTSP is doing incredible things with kids in the Philadelphia area. I think anyone who wrestles knows how much character this sport builds, and on top of that, the mentoring center they provide is helping kids get into college who normally would never have considered it a possibility. The winner will be determined via online vote, the link to vote is here, thewawafoundation.org/hero-award/. I can't stress enough how awesome this organization is, and any votes are incredibly appreciated. You can help grow the sport and provide opportunities for underpriveledged kids with the click of a button, it's an easy win win.
Although Philly has never been a hot bed for wrestling, BTSP has the potential to turn this around. Last year alone they had 2 state qualifiers, which may not sound like a lot, but is HUGE for the area. One of them returns next season, so keep your eyes peeled for Miles Lee from South Philly high, kid has the potential to be really good, and last year was only his first full year of wrestling on a team.
Yes...SUPER IDEA...EVERYONE PLEASE VOTE !!!! PHILA NEEDS IT REALLY BAD TO PROMOTE THE SPORT A LOT MORE IN THAT CITY !!!! I AM SURE SOME GREAT WRESTLERS CAN COME OUT OF PHILA...THE ONLY SPORTS THEY KNOW IS BB AND FOOTBALL....WRESTLING IN PA IS MISSING OUT ON SOME GREAT ATHL....COULD TURN OUT TO BE ANOTHER VERY GOOD PLACE FOR RECRUITING LIKE THE WPIAL IN PITTS....PLEASE VOTE....

The Wawa Foundation Hero Award
The Wawa Foundation Hero Award honors a non-profit organization that is committed to serving the greater Philadelphia area by assisting others and advancing our communities through preserving our freedom, protecting our safety, inspiring learning, and encouraging and empowering others to become better citizens and community members.

Vote for the story that inspires you the most, and help us decide which non-profit should receive The Wawa Foundation Hero Award and $50,000 grant!

Voting Period: June 20 – June 29, 2016
Limit one vote per person.
EVERYONE PLEASE VOTE AND LETS GET WRESTLING ESTABLISHED IN PHILA...THAT WOULD MAKE PA EVEN TOUGHER...RIGHT NOW THOSE KIDS ONLY KNOW BB AND FOOTBALL !!!! PLEASE VOTE FOR PHILA....

RIGHT NOW THOSE KIDS ONLY KNOW BB AND FOOTBALL !!!!

Really? You should stick to subjects about which you have some knowledge.

I do think it would be great if wrestling became a bigger deal in Philadelphia. That said, there are wrestling teams in Philadelphia. Plus, there are top-notch athletes in Philadelphia in sports other than just football and basketball.

I voted for Beat The Streets Philadelphia to get the $50,000 grant. That said, the winner in the voting gets $50,000 and the other 3 candidates get a $10,000 grant, so regardless of how the voting goes it's a win for Beat The Streets Philadelphia.

Really? You should stick to subjects about which you have some knowledge.

I do think it would be great if wrestling became a bigger deal in Philadelphia. That said, there are wrestling teams in Philadelphia. Plus, there are top-notch athletes in Philadelphia in sports other than just football and basketball.

I voted for Beat The Streets Philadelphia to get the $50,000 grant. That said, the winner in the voting gets $50,000 and the other 3 candidates get a $10,000 grant, so regardless of how the voting goes it's a win for Beat The Streets Philadelphia.
I agree Tom...I am in Bro. My brother lives in Phila and is a die hard wrestling fan...He has said for years we need to push wrestling a lot more in Phila ! It is just not a priority for a lot of Parents and kids due to the lack of wrestling in the city...It's a great idea to get this rolling ! WOW can you imagine how much stronger Pa could get ? That would be crazy...LOVE IT !!!!

Spyker your a good time bro. you give me the impression that you would even CONGRATULATE THE WALL WHEN YOU RUN INTO IT.

LOVE IT!!!

Hey everybody, tomorrow is the last day to vote for BTSP, the following is a letter written by Eric Appenzeller, one of the kids in the Beat the Streets Program. Being a good wrestler is extremely important to him, but so is being a good student. He has been working diligently to improve his writing skills, and this was one of his writing exercises.

Beat the Streets Philadelphia is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping kids “Beat the Streets” by involving them in wrestling programs. BTS Philly’s main focus is academics, then wrestling. They even have a mentoring center where college students in the area tutor their participants. BTS Philly helps their kids to get into college and get a degree. They take their wrestlers all over the country to get the best competition. BTS Philadelphia grows the sport of wrestling, please help support BTS Philly and vote for them for the Wawa Foundation, “Hero Award”. With $50,000 award BTSP will be able to continue their mission and impact more kids in the Philadelphia community.

Last edited:
The Wall is very very good !!!! CAEL NEEDS TO PUT A FULL COURT PRESS ON THE WALL SO WE DO NOT LOSE HIM !!!! HE IS GOING TO BE A GREAT ONE....I STILL WANT DAVID CARR MORE THEN ANYONE THOUGH !!!!

I don't laugh that hard often enough, Thank You

FWIW, Beat The Streets Philadelphia did not come in 1st in the voting. As such, they will receive $10,000 from Wawa, not the $50,000 that went to the top vote getter. As I indicated earlier in the thread, all 4 organizations in the voting were worthy recipients. Thanks to all that voted for BTS.

Hey everyone just wanted to say thanks again for all the support. Although we didn't win, we still received a $10,000 grant that allowed us to do a lot of awesome stuff in the organization including sending 3 wrestlers to Fargo. One of those wrestlers, Miles Lee, just placed third in Junior Greco at 195, and will be wrestling in freestyle as well.

probably a stupid question, but does anyone know if the staff is aware of this kid? philly not exactly a prime recruiting area.

I don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if they weren't aware of him. This may have been Miles's breakthrough performance on a national level, but he had a breakthrough performance this past season. Dice and I discussed Miles Lee in the the running thread during PA States earlier this year.

One also has to wonder about his weight. I believe he's entering his junior year. At this point, he appears to be a 197er in college. PSU has Cassar with 3 years of eligibility, Stout with 4 years of eligibility, and AJ Nevills coming in with 4 years of eligibility over the next 5 years. PSU also seem to be in very good shape with Michael Beard, who seems to project at 197, and I believe is entering his junior year in HS.

I don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if they weren't aware of him. This may have been Miles's breakthrough performance on a national level, but he had a breakthrough performance this past season. Dice and I discussed Miles Lee in the the running thread during PA States earlier this year.

One also has to wonder about his weight. I believe he's entering his junior year. At this point, he appears to be a 197er in college. PSU has Cassar with 3 years of eligibility, Stout with 4 years of eligibility, and AJ Nevills coming in with 4 years of eligibility over the next 5 years. PSU also seem to be in very good shape with Michael Beard, who seems to project at 197, and I believe is entering his junior year in HS.
thx, tom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT