ADVERTISEMENT

Beast of the East

Ryan Jack from CT, Kevin Jack's brother, #5 at 126, and NC State commit.

Reactions: pish69
Kevin Jack’s brother, I think. Yep, 126. Flo ranks Howard 1st, Colaiocco 3rd and Jack 5th.

The kid who is seeded 3rd was the 106 pound champ in Jersey last year as a freshman, but I don’t think he’s ranked by Flo.

Reactions: pish69
Robert Howard has a couple of major decisions in his first two matches. He’s the #2 seed. Colaiocco and Jack are both in the top bracket.

Colaiocco is trying to become a 4-time Beast Champion, so he deserves the #1 seed. Howard's biggest obstacle before the finals is likely to be Joey Olivieri (the 3 seed), who he could face in the semis. Olivieri, like Howard, is a NJ State Champ.

Reactions: danoftw
SATURDAY, DEC. 22
All rounds wrestled on 11 mats
Championship round 1: 8:30-12
Championship round 2: 12-3
Consolation round 1: 3-4:30
Championship round 3: 6:30-8
Consolation round 3: 8-9:15
Consolation round 4: 9:15-11

SUNDAY, DEC. 23Championship quarterfinals: 8:30-10 (six mats)
Consolation round 5: 8:30-10 (five mats)
Consolation round 6: 10-10 (eight mats)
Championship semifinals: 11:15-1:15 (two mats)
Consolation quarterfinals: 11:15-1:15 (two mats)
Consolation semifinals: 1:15-2:30 (six mats)
Finals prelude: 2:30-3
Medal matches: 3-5:45 (four mats, 1st//3rd/5th/7th)

Watch 106 Sophmore Nasir Wilkerson from Saint Paul, has been with Rob Eiter, Cory Cooperman for years. Same room as Will Guida and Kurt McHenry! He is the nephew of Sugar Ray Leonard, STUD!
Just lost in OT to another really tough kid, freshman Evan Holloway from New Kent, who placed at Ironman. Both will be at ETR so I've been following Nasir waiting for him to get his shot.

The 126 bracket mostly wrestled to seed. The only exception was #8 seed Chase Shields, of Bishop McDevitt (PA), who fell in R2.

In the quarters, #1 seed Michael Colaiocco (Blair Acad) will face #9 seed Nicky Cabanillas (DePaul -- NJ); #5 seed Sean Pierson (Nazareth) will face #4 seed Ryan Jack (Danbury); #3 seed Joey Olivieri (Hanover) will face #6 seed Dylan Shawver (Elyria -- OH); #7 seed Drew Munch (Wyoming Sem.) will face #2 seed Robert Howard (Bergen Catholic)

FWIW, Blair Acad advanced 12 wrestlers to the quarters, and Wyoming Sem. advanced 11 wrestlers to the quarters. Not surprisingly, those two schools are 1 and 2 in the team standings, respectively, after Day 1 of the Beast.

The 126 bracket mostly wrestled to seed. The only exception was #8 seed Chase Shields, of Bishop McDevitt (PA), who fell in R2.

In the quarters, #1 seed Michael Colaiocco (Blair Acad) will face #9 seed Nicky Cabanillas (DePaul -- NJ); #5 seed Sean Pierson (Nazareth) will face #4 seed Ryan Jack (Danbury); #3 seed Joey Olivieri (Hanover) will face #6 seed Dylan Shawver (Elyria -- OH); #7 seed Drew Munch (Wyoming Sem.) will face #2 seed Robert Howard (Bergen Catholic)

FWIW, Blair Acad advanced 12 wrestlers to the quarters, and Wyoming Sem. advanced 11 wrestlers to the quarters. Not surprisingly, those two schools are 1 and 2 in the team standings, respectively, after Day 1 of the Beast.

@KidTwist I thought Bergen Catholic was supplanting Blair NJ's Number #1 ???

@KidTwist I thought Bergen Catholic was supplanting Blair NJ's Number #1 ???

Easy my brotha! Bergen lost lots of top Div-1A kids last year and the loss of Josh Mackenzie at 195 to a football knee blow out hurt as well, he would be in the quarterfinal mix if he was healthy. We are still in the top 6 at the Beast of the East which isn't to shabby! We will dominate the state again this year. Blair is the IMG Academy of wrestling. The fact that we beat them last year was amazing. No one usually can touch them.

Reactions: lionlover
According to track Howard lost 4-5 in the semis.

Now well learn a little about his heart and head on the backside.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Bartlett lost now for the 3rd time this year. We'll see if Cael likes him as much as I do/did. It seems here's not as dominant as last year. I try not to get too excited by Sophomores because many grow out of it as their body changes, maybe he is now another example as a Jr. Not sure what's up with Beau but a pattern is starting to emerge. :-/. Well I can always switch over to the Saunder's bandwagon for the middle weights as if I wasn't already on that one anyway.

Heres how it happened. Love the try even in failure. Hell fit in nicely.

Yep, he will be fine. I have seen him telegraph that throw way to early trying to force it and nearly get caught before. That's a HS habit that will be corrected in the first month in our room

PS thanks for getting the video so quick, most excellent

Yep, he will be fine. I have seen him telegraph that throw way to early trying to force it and nearly get caught before. That's a HS habit that will be corrected in the first month in our room

PS thanks for getting the video so quick, most excellent
Yes. Howard beat himself in that semi match. Kid is going to be a beast in college.

Bartlett lost now for the 3rd time this year. We'll see if Cael likes him as much as I do/did. It seems here's not as dominant as last year. I try not to get too excited by Sophomores because many grow out of it as their body changes, maybe he is now another example as a Jr. Not sure what's up with Beau but a pattern is starting to emerge. :-/. Well I can always switch over to the Saunder's bandwagon for the middle weights as if I wasn't already on that one anyway.
A few months ago you said we HAD to get Bartlett but the kid takes a couple of losses and now you say that you try to not to get too excited about sophomores. Where was that a few months ago?

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
A few months ago you said we HAD to get Bartlett but the kid takes a couple of losses and now you say that you try to not to get too excited about sophomores. Where was that a few months ago?

Yep. Barttlet was my #1 get in the 2020 class coming into this year based upon what I had seen of him as a soph and our team needs. I am of course an higher on Ferrari but the need is less (I see him as a light heavy as opposed to a career 197 - he is big and still only aJr). Ferrari could become aCassar understudy but we'll see what Seth has to say about that if it happens, likewise Beard at 197.

That said it proves my point that Sophomore's can look like world beaters then taper off.

Teasdale looked like the next Spencer Lee as a Soph, only to get his first loses late. He'll still be great, but Spencer let great? Who knows.

I still like what Cael might do with someone like Bartlett but he is sending himself down the rankings not me. This is his third loss in the past month and half.

Last edited:
Bartlett's mother doesn't like him as much as you, safe to say Cael doesn't.

Yes. Howard beat himself in that semi match. Kid is going to be a beast in college.
How can he be a beast in college if he can't even be the beast of the East? ;)
He made a mistake and beat himself. He would beat that kid 9 out of 10 times. The 1 time loss being where he beat himself. Should have never tried that throw. Super excited to see him at PSU. Hopefully he can red shirt a year.

He made a mistake and beat himself. He would beat that kid 9 out of 10 times. The 1 time loss being where he beat himself. Should have never tried that throw. Super excited to see him at PSU. Hopefully he can red shirt a year.

I’d think Howard definetly shirts looking at the future with Teas and RBY in that 133/141

How can he be a beast in college if he can't even be the beast of the East? ;)
is it true that Phil reinstated you after paying your WFL debt? Was that one of the conditions, or is the debt still outstanding?

ADVERTISEMENT