ADVERTISEMENT

Beard vs Conel

Who wins a wrestle off this fall at 197?

• Beard

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Conel

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Bo's memory is still to strong and his essence to powerful to allow for such a thing.

Votes: 10 10.0%

• Total voters

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
I am getting my spider sense to tingle (and no that is not hemmorhoids), that Cael is going to open 197 up to a wrestleoff and I think Beard will take it.

I also hate to beat an already dead horse, but if RBY shirts then I think Beard shirts as well.

Two months to go, not fast enough.

That aside what is the collective's take on a Beard vs Conel wrestleoff?

at times like this, I wish there was a dislike button for specific posts or polls.

You just used it

Seems like a legitimate topic aside from a redshirt year to be our only glimpse into the merrits of the discussion though? Otherwise I don't get the need for the insult.

I am getting my spider sense to tingle (and no that is not hemmorhoids), that Cael is going to open 197 up to a wrestleoff and I think Beard will take it.

I also hate to beat an already dead horse, but if RBY shirts then I think Beard shirts as well.

Two months to go, not fast enough.

That aside what is the collective's take on a Beard vs Conel wrestleoff?
I don't believe a single wrestle-off, or even a series of wrestle-offs has ever determined a spot under Cael. The only time I can remember discussion of one would be Shak and Cassar, and we know that it wasn't wrestle-offs that decided that spot. So, why would that change now? That decision wasn't even made until late February 2018.

Conel starts the season as the number 1, Beard goes to some early season tournaments, and when the decision has to be made, the decision is based on what is best for the team based on a lot of factors.

You just used it

since it doesn't exist, I didn't have an opportunity to use it

Seems like a legitimate topic aside from a redshirt year to be our only glimpse into the merrits of the discussion though? Otherwise I don't get the need for the insult.

First, IMHO, it wasn't an insult. I rarely insult folks on the boards, and in the rare times when I do so, it's pretty clear that I'm doing so. Second, message boards do discuss all kinds of topics, both relevant and non-relevant to the focus of the board. However, I see almost nothing to be gained by this type of poll. I doubt there are more than a handful of folks on this board that have any clue how Conel and Beard do against each other, and it's highly unlikely that any of those handful will disclose such information. So beyond that, it's just uninformed speculation, and that speculation could turn in undesirable directions. This coaching staff has earned the trust of PSU fans that it will consider all the variables, and put out on the mat the wrestler they feel gives the team the best chance of winning. And as @pawrestlersintn indicates, situations like this often take a large chunk of the season before they are resolved. I will root for and cheer for whoever comes out to wrestle at 197 for PSU, and I have no preference as to whom that will be.

I think it’s a reasonable poll from a guy who is clearly a fan. I have never been a fan of the one year rent a wrestler (or offensive lineman in football for that matter) but we have seen it before and will see it again. Either one seems great.

Reactions: Ja1339
I'm thinking Beard wins the wrestle-off, but Conel takes the mat and Beard uses his redshirt.
Agree. Conel is not coming to PSU to not watch. Barring something unforeseen such as Conel being injured or just ineffective, he will be on the mat and Beard redshirts.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
I look for Conel to start this year, if Beard will have his RS removed it wont be until after the scuffle.

I dont think I've ever even seen a video of a Beard match.
How would you guys describe his style?
strengths/weaknesses?
Here’s some intel from someone who’s coached him (from last season’s Matt Town Open thread):
I’ll take this one, since I’ve coached him since he was 8yrs old. Michael has a very good outside single to both legs. He’s got heavy hands and snaps and has been told to pound the head for years. On top, he’s perfected a cross-wrist tilt, aka a hazard, which has been very unstoppable. He’s tilted some of the best of them including Nathan Traxler, who is ranked in the Top 15 this year. Michael is never going to be flashy/funky like Bo Nickal or even super creative like Jason Nolf. He’s going to beat you up and tire you out. Speaking of being tired, his Bulsak match he laid on the mat in the third period. He got talked to after that, but that’s part of a freshman growing up. Don’t expect that to happen again. Michael does not have a problem getting out that I can tell you.

I’ll agree that tilt, from what I’ve seen, is deadly. He wins a lot of matches 16-0 with it.

Yes, I think it's entirely possible that Conel came to PSU without the guarantee of a starting spot.

To get the beatings that he wasnt getting at Kent? Possibly
To get the big campus feel for his last year? Possibly
To have a chance at a team title? Possibly
I’ve convinced myself now.

While I am clearly not one of the handful of folks who has any idea how Conel v Beard wrestle off would turn out, I would like to add a Beard comment.

If, as expected, Beard and Brooks and Snacks all red shirt this year, folks outside of Happy Valley may be expecting a significant drop off in the 3 upper weights the following year. They may be in for a very shocking surprise when Aaron, Michael, and Seth hit the lineup. :)

No insult to Conel whatsoever but he was a bit of a surprise last year and he has an injury history. Head to head none of us have any idea how it might play out.

I doubt Cael gave him any guarantees. Likewise in the world if 9.9 we have to assume most PSU blue chippers do not get a full ride, maybe 75%, so in this sense you have to have a kid who needs to be ok to shirt after a year of grey shirting, and who can also afford 5 years of paying 25%+ or more out of pocket.

On paper Conel seems to make the most sense strategically if you look at the big multi year picture, but....

I feel for this year and weight there is not a plan fixed in concrete yet, and it may be settled on the mat.

Last edited:
Here’s some intel from someone who’s coached him (from last season’s Matt Town Open thread):

I’ll agree that tilt, from what I’ve seen, is deadly. He wins a lot of matches 16-0 with it.

Wanted to give a like to tjb249 post. Was that post deleted for some reason?

Wanted to give a like to tjb249 post. Was that post deleted for some reason?
It was from the Mat Town Open thread last season. You can find the original posts of quoted text by clicking the little up arrow at the top of the quote:

Reactions: Ja1339
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT