Bear coming out of hibernation?

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
Will the S&P hit minus 20% year-to-date?

Market at this hour is in free-fall after some overnight futures buying driven by the Chinese devaluation of the Yuan.

Looks like more rolling into bonds despite Powell's projected balance sheet reductions.

I see extreme uncertainty that (to me) is associated with the unknown behavior of the Fed. They talk more than they do.

Powell is happy doing it this way. He wants an orderly bear market, which he will declare to be a "soft landing." So far great news -- no need for a trading day circuit breaker.

Surely @NJPSU started the day short.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
I think most knowledgeable investors believe that the Fed Put is history. The masses are struggling with inflation. This is the difference between this year and other years that investors felt they had a back stop.

It's kind of sickening to me that this is what has become of our "free market" economy. It's all tied to what government does, the Fed being part of the government. That is just wrong on every level. We now have a Fed that is political. We can see the disaster that resulted by its abandoning of a simple mandate.

This is what the Dems want. They want the government to manage the economy. It was government that created the problems leading up to the crashes that then led to the need for a government fix -- the Fed Put.

Does anyone see what is wrong here? What is the common denominator?

Reactions: Ski

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Will the S&P hit minus 20% year-to-date?

Market at this hour is in free-fall after some overnight futures buying driven by the Chinese devaluation of the Yuan.

Looks like more rolling into bonds despite Powell's projected balance sheet reductions.

I see extreme uncertainty that (to me) is associated with the unknown behavior of the Fed. They talk more than they do.

Powell is happy doing it this way. He wants an orderly bear market, which he will declare to be a "soft landing." So far great news -- no need for a trading day circuit breaker.

Surely @NJPSU started the day short.
Yes I’ve been short in my options account and I’m up today and on the year.

I do have long term holdings in Total Market Index funds that are down but I won’t touch them for years.

With no debt, including a paid for house, my expenses are super low.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010

I do have long term holdings in Total Market Index funds that are down but I won’t touch them for years.

Are you telling us that your net worth is higher now than it was at the start of the year? (Let's exclude your house, which doesn't get a real-time valuation.)

If you have long term holdings in the stock market they are either small, nearly all energy, or your net worth is down. If you are into XLE in a big way then you are not a Democrat. I'd say you might be a closet Republican.

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
Are you telling us that your net worth is higher now than it was at the start of the year? (Let's exclude your house, which doesn't get a real-time valuation.)

If you have long term holdings in the stock market they are either small, nearly all energy, or your net worth is down. If you are into XLE in a big way then you are not a Democrat. I'd say you might be a closet Republican.
We're all waiting for another of his, I told you so moments. Lol. I don't think the dude has ever been right on anything.

Reactions: Ski and Sullivan

NJPSU

May 29, 2001

No it’s not higher than 1/1 but it’s not down that much compared to the overall market. My option trading accounts are up slightly. My gold holdings are up slightly. Cash is cash. My home value is up.

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
Haha…That’s why I’m retired and you are still staring at horse dongs all day. :rolleyes:
What a little bit%h you've turned into. I work because I enjoy it. I also make a sh&t ton more than you ever have. You're nothing but a pathetic little dweeb with a bachelor's degree who sat inside a cubicle your entire life. I can retire anytime I want to.

Man, it's never any different for you libs on here. You're a bunch of nobody's that degrade everyone else, like you're somebody. It's comical. Now you go after Musk like the little Twitter pu&&y you are. How pathetic. Now go away gnat.

Reactions: richie83

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
What a little bit%h you've turned into. I work because I enjoy it. I also make a sh&t ton more than you ever have. You're nothing but a pathetic little dweeb with a bachelor's degree who sat inside a cubicle your entire life. I can retire anytime I want to.

Man, it's never any different for you libs on here. You're a bunch of nobody's that degrade everyone else, like you're somebody. It's comical. Now you go after Musk like the little Twitter pu&&y you are. How pathetic. Now go away gnat.
Dear ASU Scholar:

1. It's "nobodies," not "nobody's."
2. You should have inserted a comma after "away." :cool:

Reactions: NJPSU

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX

NJ is a really stupid bitter old man.

you should forgive him.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
NJ isn't old. He just has an inferiority complex because his wife supports him and calls the shots in his family. This board is his only outlet.
Yeah I’m a spring chicken compared to most on this board.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
Well the Dow did rally 600 points in the last couple of hours of trading. I was out and about so not sure what caused it yet.

I was out during the rally as well, so maybe that is the key. It looks like this trading range may be a support level. It appeared we were busting it earlier in the day. Obviously there are still dip buyers. I've heard every opinion from A to Z. No one knows anything.

Conemaugh

May 8, 2020

I thought you were retired? If so, you damn well better be out of debt.

Reactions: Ski

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
No.

1. It's "nobodies", not "nobody's".

Your comma and period were both inserted in the wrong place. :cool:
Amigo: You should know better than to go up against me on matters like this. You were wrong on both counts. I knew you were stupid, but not pretentious. That is a truly unfortunate combination. Hope your mom made you a nice dinner tonight.

Sullivan

Nov 24, 2001
Amigo: You should know better than to go up against me on matters like this. You were wrong on both counts. I knew you were stupid, but not pretentious. That is a truly unfortunate combination. Hope your mom made you a nice dinner tonight.

No. You’re wrong again!