ADVERTISEMENT

be all end all, ending sentences with a prepositions, is it allowed?

a friend makes a post on Facebook about proof reading her kids college essay. The first sentence ends in a preposition, mom freaks out. I respond and include links saying you can do this , that rule is just some myth someone made up. Fast forward I see the Mom last night and can't leave well enough alone. And tell her you certainly can end a sentence with a preposition. She says I am wrong, that this assignment was a 'formal' paper and in formal papers, you can not do this!! I say, lets see what someone like Websters says (see link), they agree. The women says , no they are wrong, they don't understand that this is a formal paper, and triples down on this.

so What you learned scholars say??

I hear millennials and younger dislike the use of a period at the end of a silence. That should put you over the edge.

a friend makes a post on Facebook about proof reading her kids college essay. The first sentence ends in a preposition, mom freaks out. I respond and include links saying you can do this , that rule is just some myth someone made up. Fast forward I see the Mom last night and can't leave well enough alone. And tell her you certainly can end a sentence with a preposition. She says I am wrong, that this assignment was a 'formal' paper and in formal papers, you can not do this!! I say, lets see what someone like Websters says (see link), they agree. The women says , no they are wrong, they don't understand that this is a formal paper, and triples down on this.

If there are more standardized college admission exams, there are no more scholars either. Have at it - w/ whatever language/slang you like. No Southern stuff though.

I asked my daughter who is an Asst Dean - English Dept at Hofstra....,she states there is no fast and true rule....however when composing a thesis or formal letter, especially for your Doctorate, is is far better to follow the APA style of formatting and grammar. Therefore.....I agree with MJG-90.

Reactions: bison13
My version of the Lou Pinella joke posted above:

Two women are seated next to each other on a flight. One was from Texas and one was a proper young lady from NYC. The woman from Texas asks her travel companion "Where are y'all from?". The NY woman replied in an indignant tone "I'm from a place where we know better than to end a sentence with a preposition!". Taken aback the Texas woman responded "I'm sorry. Where are y'all from, bitch?".

George Bernard Shaw's editor once corrected a sentence that Shaw had ended with a preposition. Shaw fired back a response that illustrated his point: "This is the kind of interference up with which I will not put!"

Is fvck a preposition? I have been ending alot of sentences with that word lately, especially on the golf course!
It’s a noun. And a verb. Add “ing” and it becomes an adverb. or an adjective. It’s feminine. Masculine. And neuter.

It’s a positive word. A negative word. A personal word. An impersonal word. It’s a declarative. An expletive. A directive. A request. A question. And an answer.

No matter how you personally feel about it, it’s the only word, by itself, capable of getting you through the day. Day after day.

No doubt about it, it’s the perfect word.

F______g perfect.

Not that I know of

Is fvck a preposition? I have been ending alot of sentences with that word lately, especially on the golf course!

Richard Loeb, of the famous Leopold and Loeb murder case and one of the youngest students to ever graduate from the University of Michigan (yes, a Michigan man), approached the wrong man for sex in a prison shower room and was subsequently knifed to death.

Edwin Lahey of the Chicago Daily News supposedly hammered out on deadline what must have been the greatest leads ever written:
"Richard Loeb, a brilliant college student and master of the English language, today ended a sentence with a proposition."

I don't know if it's "allowed" or not, but I know it doesn't sound right and doesn't leave a quality impression.

I asked my daughter who is an Asst Dean - English Dept at Hofstra....,she states there is no fast and true rule....however when composing a thesis or formal letter, especially for your Doctorate, is is far better to follow the APA style of formatting and grammar. Therefore.....I agree with MJG-90.
I asked the head of our English Department who is one of the table chairs for the reading of the AP Language and Composition test. He stated just like you said that it's not a rule but in general it's not to be used unless in a form of intensifying something in the sentence.

Last edited:
It’s a noun. And a verb. Add “ing” and it becomes an adverb. or an adjective. It’s feminine. Masculine. And neuter.

It’s a positive word. A negative word. A personal word. An impersonal word. It’s a declarative. An expletive. A directive. A request. A question. And an answer.

No matter how you personally feel about it, it’s the only word, by itself, capable of getting you through the day. Day after day.

No doubt about it, it’s the perfect word.

F______g perfect.

This is an oldie but a goodie. Queue it up to 1:20 mark for the best part

ADVERTISEMENT