ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the Bands: Rock Divison "D" Who is better: The Beatles win!

Battle of the Bands: Rock Divison "D" Who is better: The Beatles or TheWho?

• Beatles

Votes: 101 73.2%
  • The Who

Votes: 37 26.8%

• Total voters
Is your disagreement about how good they were or whether you consider them to be "rock?"
How good they were. “Rock” is certainly a broad category so they’re a rock band...I just don’t think they’re as good as some people think. Not exceptionally good musicians, not exceptionally good singing voices, I think John and Paul actually wrote better songs after the band broke up, especially Lennon. I also wasn’t a big Wings fan...thought they were pretty soft and bubble gummy.

Yep, those are the titles....????
No idea what you asking. If you are asking if that is all I got, that is why I wrote, "etc, etc".
There are plenty more, but I can only type so much. Any musician in the world would kill to write that many great songs.

Have you listened to many of the bands in the late 60’s? Many bands were successful because of the drugs. It certainly want their “genius”.
This is beyond stupid. Seriously, just stop.

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
Yes, I've listened to a lot of 60's music. Most bands from that era did drugs, but how many produced music as impactful as the Beatles?
If one listens to the music snobs of the world, there were a lot during that time that wrote music as impactful (how much was genius and how much was drugs is the question): Dylan, Hendrix, The Doors, Joplin, Clapton....and on and on. Pretty much everyone that wrote a song during that era is considered a genius.

No idea what you asking. If you are asking if that is all I got, that is why I wrote, "etc, etc".
There are plenty more, but I can only type so much. Any musician in the world would kill to write that many great songs.

No, I’m stating that just listing titles of songs doesn’t really make much of an argument. So seriously, just stop.

Have you listened to many of the bands in the late 60’s? Many bands were successful because of the drugs. It certainly want their “genius”.
Seriously are you on drugs because that statement is certainly hallucinogenic

How good they were. “Rock” is certainly a broad category so they’re a rock band...I just don’t think they’re as good as some people think. Not exceptionally good musicians, not exceptionally good singing voices, I think John and Paul actually wrote better songs after the band broke up, especially Lennon. I also wasn’t a big Wings fan...thought they were pretty soft and bubble gummy.
I think a lot of Lennon’s solo work was crap. Some great songs, but a lot of garbage in there.

Reactions: TheGLOV
It was a typo...should say wasn’t...but you probably could have figured that out.
. My statement Had nothing to do with your typo it had to do with the ridiculousness of your Position regarding 60s and 70s rock ‘n’ roll

No kidding...something about a shovel and the bottom of the hole. Geesh.

Reactions: Grant Green
If one listens to the music snobs of the world, there were a lot during that time that wrote music as impactful (how much was genius and how much was drugs is the question): Dylan, Hendrix, The Doors, Joplin, Clapton....and on and on. Pretty much everyone that wrote a song during that era is considered a genius.
You're cherry picking some of best. And even in that group, how many are at the Beatles level. Few people would put the Doors or Joplin in their league.

No kidding...something about a shovel and the bottom of the hole. Geesh.
Holy shit....how many times do I have to write that this is just my opinion and everyone has their own. So everyone arguing with me is basically saying anyone that disagrees with them is not allowed to have an opinion. Music is very subjective....you like who you like and I’ll like who I like. Nothing worse than a music snob.

You're cherry picking some of best. And even in that group, how many are at the Beatles level. Few people would put the Doors or Joplin in their league.
Just saying that for some reason that era of musicians are given a much loftier status than deserved.

. My statement Had nothing to do with your typo it had to do with the ridiculousness of your Position regarding 60s and 70s rock ‘n’ roll
But my position is just my opinion and I’ve stated that multiple times. You pontificating over the greatness of the Beatles is not going to change my mind. News flash...everyone is allowed to have an opinion on music and it doesn’t have to match yours.

But my position is just my opinion and I’ve stated that multiple times. You pontificating over the greatness of the Beatles is not going to change my mind. News flash...everyone is allowed to have an opinion on music and it doesn’t have to match yours.
Ok.

If Paul McCartney wasn't an exceptionally good musician then I don't think exceptionally good musicians exist. I don't know if he was a virtuoso on any instrument but he was good on many instruments.

JMO, as a Beatles fan, George had the best Solo Career and was maybe even a better writer. HIs All Things Must Pass Album is brilliant.
I’ve never really gotten too deep into his stuff but of the popular songs, I like his a lot more than the others. Maybe I’ll listen to more of his stuff during this downtime.

If Michelangelo drank wine for inspiration.......does it distract from his genius? Or his audience enjoyed his brilliance more after drinking wine? Not sure I'm getting the angle of the anti-drug rant (alcohol is a drug).

Reactions: BBrown
If Michelangelo drank wine for inspiration.......does it distract from his genius? Or his audience enjoyed his brilliance more after drinking wine? Not sure I'm getting the angle of the anti-drug rant (alcohol is a drug).
Not an anti drug rant by any means...just that high people tend to think what they’re listening to (or watching) is much deeper or better than it actually is. Many of the bands and musicians of that era were created and elevated by the boomer generation at places like Woodstock and they’re still around listening to it and giving it meaning. That’s what I think anyhow. I very well could be full of shit, but it satisfies my inner self.

Reactions: auxgym
Holy shit....how many times do I have to write that this is just my opinion and everyone has their own. So everyone arguing with me is basically saying anyone that disagrees with them is not allowed to have an opinion. Music is very subjective....you like who you like and I’ll like who I like. Nothing worse than a music snob.
Weird. Usually when someone has an opinion on this board, nobody argues with them. Especially on topics that people tend to be passionate about. Maybe it's just you.

Weird. Usually when someone has an opinion on this board, nobody argues with them. Especially on topics that people tend to be passionate about. Maybe it's just you.
But music is way too subjective to argue over whether a person likes a certain band or not. It’s not like arguing over who was a better player or which is the better team, where there are stats and victories to measure against....music is just how it makes a person feel. It’s like telling someone they’re wrong because they like a certain food....which some on here would do.

Reactions: LionFan87b
But music is way too subjective to argue over whether a person likes a certain band or not. It’s not like arguing over who was a better player or which is the better team, where there are stats and victories to measure against....music is just how it makes a person feel. It’s like telling someone they’re wrong because they like a certain food....which some on here would do.
Preferring one band/song over another is subjective and I won't criticize a person for liking or not liking.
Rating quality of music is not as subjective. Are the vocals on key? Vocal range? Time feel. Harmonic complexity. Simple melodies vs more complex melodies. Vocal harmonies. Technical ability on instrument. Lyrics. Song arrangements. Recording production.
That's my final word, because as you said before, you'll never change your mind.

Agreed, 1022. When it's all said and done, there's no right and wrong when it comes to liking or disliking a band. But it is fun to argue, and that's part of what makes these discussions enjoyable.

Reactions: AWS1022
Preferring one band/song over another is subjective and I won't criticize a person for liking or not liking.
Rating quality of music is not as subjective. Are the vocals on key? Vocal range? Time feel. Harmonic complexity. Simple melodies vs more complex melodies. Vocal harmonies. Technical ability on instrument. Lyrics. Song arrangements. Recording production.
That's my final word, because as you said before, you'll never change your mind.
Most of that is true, but in my book, composing good music trumps all of those things, and that is subjective. A band that has all of those qualities, but can't write good music, will never be worth my time.

Agreed, 1022. When it's all said and done, there's no right and wrong when it comes to liking or disliking a band. But it is fun to argue, and that's part of what makes these discussions enjoyable.
Agreed except for music snobs that think anyone who doesn’t like what they like are beneath them.

Ha ha.....you said "butt"....

Beavis-and-Butthead-Do-America.jpg

How are the Beatles overrated? Understanding that musical preference is all just personal taste, they were a major influence of just about every band since they emerged.
Bingo!!! Younger generations always judge the Beatles solely on their musicianship. It's a forgone conclusion that Ringo was not the best drummer nor was George anywhere near the greatest lead guitarist. But the Beatles knew music, composed lots of music that has had the greatest influence on our music even today.

Bingo!!! Younger generations always judge the Beatles solely on their musicianship. It's a forgone conclusion that Ringo was not the best drummer nor was George anywhere near the greatest lead guitarist. But the Beatles knew music, composed lots of music that has had the greatest influence on our music even today.

Not sure Ringo gets the credit he deserves...
Rolling Stone has him listed as #14.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...rummers-of-all-time-77933/d-j-fontana-142156/

George is also rated pretty highly...#11
Its an interesting list....
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/b-b-king-10-157459/

Not sure what Rollingstone's criteria is but both lists are pretty interesting.

Paul McCartney played the guitar solo on a few Beatles songs, including "Taxman," which ironically was written by George. Paul also played drums on "Dear Prudence" and "Back In The USSR." And "The Ballad of John and Yoko" was John and Paul entirely, no George, no Ringo.

Reactions: BBrown and TheGLOV
I have a great deal of respect for The Who. I saw them at Shea Stadium in 1982. But I think the Beatle’s produced and wrote better music and were all around better musicians.

Paul McCartney played the guitar solo on a few Beatles songs, including "Taxman," which ironically was written by George. Paul also played drums on "Dear Prudence" and "Back In The USSR." And "The Ballad of John and Yoko" was John and Paul entirely, no George, no Ringo.
Paul also provides the bassline on I Will (my wedding song) with his voice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT