ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the Bands: Rock Divison "D" Who is better: The Beatles win!

Battle of the Bands: Rock Divison "D" Who is better: The Beatles or TheWho?

• Beatles

Votes: 101 73.2%
  • The Who

Votes: 37 26.8%

• Total voters
I don’t think anyone is disagreeing that they were influential....but influential doesn’t mean great, just as popular doesn’t mean great. Kevin Costner is very popular, not a great actor by any means.

I think that how long the popularity lasts may inform how good the band or the actor is. Kevin Costner was very popular for awhile. Not as much anymore. If people decades down the road like the actors even though they were too young to be the target audience at the time or maybe even weren't born yet, then that's a sign that the actor was good in a more timeless sense.

Beatles music by and large stands up today. People that didn't exist when it was made like it. Think of other bands that were really big in the 60s or 70s or 80s and think how well their music stands up today. Some does but a lot more doesn't

There's plenty of older music that I listen to and think "I can't believe that music was so popular back then" but Beatles music isn't among it.

Reactions: BBrown
I don’t think anyone is disagreeing that they were influential....but influential doesn’t mean great, just as popular doesn’t mean great. Kevin Costner is very popular, not a great actor by any means.

Sorry not sorry but thats an incredibly stupid comparison.

I think that how long the popularity lasts may inform how good the band or the actor is. Kevin Costner was very popular for awhile. Not as much anymore. If people decades down the road like the actors even though they were too young to be the target audience at the time or maybe even weren't born yet, then that's a sign that the actor was good in a more timeless sense.

Beatles music by and large stands up today. People that didn't exist when it was made like it. Think of other bands that were really big in the 60s or 70s or 80s and think how well their music stands up today. Some does but a lot more doesn't

There's plenty of older music that I listen and think "I can't believe that music was so popular back then" but Beatles music isn't among it.
I get it...I’m not trying to say the Beatles weren’t popular or influential...i just think they’re a bit overrated. I think they’re good, but there are a lot of bands that are better. I think timing was their best friend. I think the Stones, The Who, and Zeppelin are all far better bands.

So you have evolved during this discussion from thinking they are the most overrated band to now they are only a bit overrated?

So you have evolved during this discussion from thinking they are the most overrated band to now they are only a bit overrated?
They’re overrated in my opinion....not sure why degree of overratedness matters.

The degree of anything matters pretty in the vast majority of things.
Okay, I don’t have an algorithm to determine who is the most overrated, so I’ll just say I think they’re overrated...just my opinion, I don’t expect to change anyone’s mind. And no one is going to change mine. I don’t like their music and I don’t understand how anyone can, but that’s just my opinion. If you like them, more power to ya.

I get it...I’m not trying to say the Beatles weren’t popular or influential...i just think they’re a bit overrated. I think they’re good, but there are a lot of bands that are better. I think timing was their best friend. I think the Stones, The Who, and Zeppelin are all far better bands.
I would be interested in what makes those bands better? I like them all but don't find any as significant. The Stones just came and played blues licks, and Zeppelin did the same. The Who went in a little different direction. They sound like pop music now but they were not at all pop when the came on the scene. When the Beatles broke people were listening to Perry Como, Bobby Vinton, Andy Williams and the like. What they did was revolutionary. It sometimes lost because it advanced so fast. The music industry is great that way. The next big thing hits and overnight there are 50 bands just like them.

I would be interested in what makes those bands better? I like them all but don't find any as significant. The Stones just came and played blues licks, and Zeppelin did the same. The Who went in a little different direction. They sound like pop music now but they were not at all pop when the came on the scene. When the Beatles broke people were listening to Perry Como, Bobby Vinton, Andy Williams and the like. What they did was revolutionary. It sometimes lost because it advanced so fast. The music industry is great that way. The next big thing hits and overnight there are 50 bands just like them.
I just think those three bands have better music and are more rock and roll than the Beatles. People weren’t just listening to Perry Como and the others you listed because of Elvis Presley...he paved the way for the Beatles.

I think music sucked in the 60’s and early 70’s...rampant drug use made some really poor artists popular. But it’s a personal preference.
I grew up in the 80s thinking I was just oppositional because I couldn’t stand the new music around then but loved the rock and roll of the earlier eras. Even artists that I like (Springsteen for instance) made some of their worst music in the 80s. Then the 90s happened and I realized it really was just the 80s sound that I didn’t like. Would I be correct in assuming you don’t like 90s rock music either?

The 5th chord of this song is a dominant 7b9 chord. It's commonly used in jazz, but this is the only rock song I personally know that used that chord. The Beatles also used augmented chords and minor/major7 chords often in their music, setting them apart from typical rock music.
I will say though, Jimmy Page also used a fair number of more advanced chords in his compositions too, but that is why Zep is also at the top of the pyramid.

I grew up in the 80s thinking I was just oppositional because I couldn’t stand the new music around then but loved the rock and roll of the earlier eras. Even artists that I like (Springsteen for instance) made some of their worst music in the 80s. Then the 90s happened and I realized it really was just the 80s sound that I didn’t like. Would I be correct in assuming you don’t like 90s rock music either?
I like some in the 90’s. Also, I wasn’t a big fan of the electric crap that was present for many of the 80’s bands....and I hated new wave. Most of the bands I liked in the 80’s started their success in the later 70’s. Some (like the Stones) started in the 60’s and had long term success into the 80’s. I just never got into the flower child, folksy crap of the late 60’s and early 70’s.

I’d say that’s a bit harsh and absolutely not called for in the context of the discussion.
It does not seem that you give the Beatles much credit for being the first band to do many things........

It does not seem that you give the Beatles much credit for being the first band to do many things........
I don’t like them so I don’t give them much credit for anything....but I’ve also said I know it’s a personal preference thing. I think their early stuff was bubble gum rock and their later stuff was just weird. But that’s just one man’s opinion.

I don’t like them so I don’t give them much credit for anything....but I’ve also said I know it’s a personal preference thing. I think their early stuff was bubble gum rock and their later stuff was just weird. But that’s just one man’s opinion.
I just think it's funny that you point out bands after them that were better......when it's quite possible those bands would not have evolved the way they did if not for the Beatles........

I just think it's funny that you point out bands after them that were better......when it's quite possible those bands would not have evolved the way they did if not for the Beatles........
But you don’t know that. Also, without Elvis or Buddy Holly, the Beatles wouldn’t have had the success they did....are Elvis and Buddy Holly better than the Beatles in your opinion?

But you don’t know that. Also, without Elvis or Buddy Holly, the Beatles wouldn’t have had the success they did....are Elvis and Buddy Holly better than the Beatles in your opinion?
I would have no problem with saying they are all on the same level.......

Labeling all of the Beatles later music as "weird" is a gross mischaracterization.

Blackbird, Here Comes the Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, She's Leaving Home, Getting Better, Paperback Writer, Hey Jude, Penny Lane, Baby you're a rich man, Dear Prudence, Back in the USSR, Let it Be, Something, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, Two of Us, Get Back, Come Together, Taxman, Eleanore Rigby, Good Day Sunshine, In My Life, Drive My Car, Yesterday etc, etc....

Someone in the other poll said Boston was the most overrated band...must have forgotten about the Beatles.
If they were 10% as good as they are "rated", then that makes them the most overrated and yet still the best rock band ever, which in my view they probably are.

I always say the Beatles are bubble gum music, especially the early stuff. The later stuff was just drug-induced weird shit. “I am the egg man”???? Really?
Very few bands have ever written such wonderful bubblegum melodies. And their later stuff was much deeper and equally brilliant. If it had only been about the drugs, then everyone would have been making equally brilliant music.

I argue about Beatles = New Kids on the Block all the time. Listen to sgt pepper and Led Zeppelin ll back to back and tell me which one is a boy band and which one has balls.
Listen to Helter Skelter and then get back to me about balls. The Beatles weren't usually hard rock, but their music didn't lack balls.

Oh well I tried.:rolleyes:
But just because YOU don't think there is good music being done today doesn't mean there isn't and its far more readily available than ever before.
So true. Technology has made it possible for anyone with talent to create and share music. The tricky part, however, is finding it.

Labeling all of the Beatles later music as "weird" is a gross mischaracterization.

Blackbird, Here Comes the Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, She's Leaving Home, Getting Better, Paperback Writer, Hey Jude, Penny Lane, Baby you're a rich man, Dear Prudence, Back in the USSR, Let it Be, Something, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, Two of Us, Get Back, Come Together, Taxman, Eleanore Rigby, Good Day Sunshine, In My Life, Drive My Car, Yesterday etc, etc....
Yep, those are the titles....????

If they were 10% as good as they are "rated", then that makes them the most overrated and yet still the best rock band ever, which in my view they probably are.
Best rock band ever? Really? But that’s your opinion, so have at it.

Very few bands have ever written such wonderful bubblegum melodies. And their later stuff was much deeper and equally brilliant. If it had only been about the drugs, then everyone would have been making equally brilliant music.
Have you listened to many of the bands in the late 60’s? Many bands were successful because of the drugs. It certainly want their “genius”.

Have you listened to many of the bands in the late 60’s? Many bands were successful because of the drugs. It certainly want their “genius”.
Yes, I've listened to a lot of 60's music. Most bands from that era did drugs, but how many produced music as impactful as the Beatles?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT