ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Tie Breakers for B1G Tourney

A

anon_is9z1n0h3zblb

In case anyone else was wondering. When we go to Iowa we'll be in a tie for second with MSU and possibly Illinois and Wisconsin. MSU and Illinois have tough games but really need Michigan to beat Wisky tonight.

We lose head to head with Wisconsin and Illinois as we're 0-1 against both and don't play again. We're 1-0 against MSU and they come to town on the 3rd.

Remaining schedules
The Good Guys
2/29 @Iowa
3/3 MSU
3/7 @ NW

MSU
2/29 @MD
3/3 @ US
3/8 OSU

Illinois
2/27 @ NW
3/1 Indiana
3/5 @OSU
3/8 Iowa

Wisky
2/27 @ Mich
3/1 Minnesota
3/4 NW
3/7 @ Indiana

2020 Men's Basketball Tournament Tiebreaker Procedures

1. Teams shall be seeded No. 1 through No. 14 in the tournament bracket based on the final regular-season Conference standings.

2. A team's seed shall correspond to its regular-season finish (i.e., the champion shall be the No. 1 seed, the runnerup the No. 2 seed, etc.).

3. Teams that finished Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the regular-season shall receive a "bye" through the first two rounds.

4. In case of a tie for any place finish in the regular-season standings, the following tie-breaking procedure shall be followed in order to seed teams in the tournament bracket:

A. Two-team tie:
1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.

2. Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings (or in the case of a tie for the championship, the next highest position in the regular-season standings), continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
a. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.
b. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

3. Won-loss percentage of all Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.

B. Multiple-team tie:
1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.
a. When comparing records against the tied teams, teams will be seeded based on winning percentage among the group, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0). If all teams among the group are separated based on winning percentage, all ties are broken. If winning percentage among the group for any tied teams is equal, move to step b with those specific tied teams only (e.g. if there is a four-team tie, one team is 4-0, another is 3-1 and the last two are 2-2 among the group, the two teams that are 2-2 move to step b and the teams that are 4-0 and 3-1 assume the next two available highest seeds).
Note: Teams can be separated from the top, middle or bottom.
b. If a team or teams are separated from the group based on step a, seeding for remaining teams among the group is not determined by head-to-head record vs. the remaining teams, but rather by taking all remaining teams to next tie breaker.

2. If the remaining teams are still tied, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
a. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.
b. When comparing records against a single team or group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

3. Won-loss percentage of Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by Commissioner or designee.

Which means we have the tiebreaker over MSU and no one else. So should we be rooting for MD this weekend, assuming there is little chance they go 0-3 and we go 2-1 the rest of the way to tie for the top?

We want Illinois and Wisky to lose as much as possible since PSU would lose tiebreakers to them.

It’s not really true...still a pretty realistic chance of a double bye at 1-2 with NW being the win.

It’s not really true...still a pretty realistic chance of a double bye at 1-2 with NW being the win.
If we go 1-2, only beating NW, Maryland is in. Wisky and Illinois would most likely be ahead of us or tied with the tiebreakers in their favor, so that's two more slots. MSU would at worst be tied with us and we'd have to go through the multi-level tiebreakers, which really can't be calculated with 3 or 4 games remaining (or at least not by me without taking up a few hours of my time), so let's call that a 50% chance of them being spot number 4.

We'd lose to Iowa. If Iowa beats Purdue or Illinois they'd also be tied with a season split and in another multi-team tiebreaker scenario.

Michigan has an outside shot of also tying us but that's unlikely. Indiana could also end up tied with us at 12-8 but if that they'd have beaten Wisky and Illinois so that would increase our chances to get a double bye.

It's possible we'd still get a double bye beating NW and losing to Iowa and MSU, but the odds would be against us. I wouldn't that "pretty realistic".

It's possible we'd still get a double bye beating NW and losing to Iowa and MSU, but the odds would be against us. I wouldn't that "pretty realistic".
Without running all of the scenarios, I’d give in a 30-40% chance (not likely, but what I’d consider pretty realistic).

Without running all of the scenarios, I’d give in a 30-40% chance (not likely, but what I’d consider pretty realistic).
To me "pretty realistic" is well above 50%, not below it. But, it is an ambiguous term.

To me "pretty realistic" is well above 50%, not below it. But, it is an ambiguous term.
Above 50% and I’d use “likely”. I think of realistic as more something that isn’t necessarily looking likely, but still has a solid chance of happening.

I know I'm stating the obvious when I type that Michigan sucks, but they suck a little more than usual tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT