ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball team beats Pitt and now is 13-3

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Lions improved their record to 10-3 on the season for its best start since going 11-2 to begin the 1980 season. They got strong play from the freshmen in the win over Pitt.

Edit - since I posted above the team won 3 more games (against UMass Lowell) and now sits at 13-3 for the season.

Last edited:
I thought it was interesting considering how bad our bball team was.
Also Hippenhammer is playing and doing really well.
You could always not read topics that make you yawn.:rolleyes:

She should read more of them and maybe she'll fall asleep. Couldn't get that lucky, could we?

Let me know the next time a home game draws even 500 fans. 80 games of wasted time money and resources. Drop it, softball and all sports without fans in the stands in decent numbers. I could support largesse at 29-35 games a year but with no adults in charge, bb and sb are totally out of control.

Let me know the next time a home game draws even 500 fans. 80 games of wasted time money and resources. Drop it, softball and all sports without fans in the stands in decent numbers. I could support largesse at 29-35 games a year but with no adults in charge, bb and sb are totally out of control.

Baseball averaged 1074 fans per home game last season.

Fail.
Look at the post directly below yours...above this.LMAO

I mentioned last year that a longtime friend's son is on the team. Happy they're doing well. I had the opportunity to meet a number of the players. All very respectful young men.

Reactions: Bob78 and BBrown
Baseball averaged 1074 fans per home game last season.

Nice. And for those of you who will be in State College on April 13, the Blue/White game starts at 3:00 and the home baseball game against Nebraska starts at 6:00. It'll be a nice doubleheader for PSU sports fans and a great opportunity to pack the stands for our guys.

If you're staying in town the entire weekend, the April 12 game starts at 6:30 and the April 14 game starts at noon.

Translation: Mary doesn’t like baseball or softball so they should both be dropped.

this might be a good time to bring up the B1G leading Women's Field Hockey Team who averages 559 per game.

Hell might as well write up a press release for it.. this is news.

Which, FTR, is consistently among the leaders in the country in attendance (we led the nation in 2016 and 2017).

I can't understand why so many people seem to have a hard-on for certain sports? PSU is consistently one of the better field hockey teams in the country. Pennsylvania is a hotbed for field hockey. Why belittle the sport so? So what if it has a small somewhat isolated fan base? We're good at it. How difficult is it to be a little supportive?

Despite the best efforts of some, college sports is not a business. They exist to provide athletic opportunities to students, and are a part of the overall educational path for some students, just like band and theatre are for others.

The vast majority of college sports draw small crowds but provide life enriching experiences, and connections to alums and the community.
Using your metric college spirts would consist of about 40 football teams, a few dozen basketball teams and virtually nothing else. You are blocking thousands of kids from an experience that many consider the best of their college years and perhaps best of a lifetime.

Which, FTR, is consistently among the leaders in the country in attendance (we led the nation in 2016 and 2017).

I can't understand why so many people seem to have a hard-on for certain sports? PSU is consistently one of the better field hockey teams in the country. Pennsylvania is a hotbed for field hockey. Why belittle the sport so? So what if it has a small somewhat isolated fan base? We're good at it. How difficult is it to be a little supportive?
Well said. I believe roughly 1/2 of the Olympic team was made up of ladies from PA.

I have nothing against any sport. I just don't think that PSU should be spending millions on those that don't provide commensurate benefits. At the very least, I'd like to see the process to determine how much to spend on money-losing sports be transparent.

Please take this opportunity to remember that Penn State is a baseball school.

One of the reasons that they moved it to PA from California about five years ago was because the team has been made up of mostly PA kids for decades.

It doesn't mention PA specifically, but if you open the link and read it says pretty much that --

"Spooky Nook Sports is proud to be the Home of USA Field Hockey. Before training in Lancaster Country, the team made their home in sunny California. Moving to the East Coast meant that many of the girls would be closer to home and many of their fans."

I was being sarcastic.... Calm down

Back when the press release for Penn State ranking among the best in fan support I was 100% in support of acknowledging the support... as small as it might sound.

Honestly 550 people a game is more than you'd think.

Well said. I believe roughly 1/2 of the Olympic team was made up of ladies from PA.
It doesn't mention PA specifically, but if you open the link and read it says pretty much that --

"Spooky Nook Sports is proud to be the Home of USA Field Hockey. Before training in Lancaster Country, the team made their home in sunny California. Moving to the East Coast meant that many of the girls would be closer to home and many of their fans."

Well it definitely says that in the link that I provided.

"Pennsylvania's success prompted the national program to move its headquarters to Lancaster in 2013."

Secondhand CTE is a thing.

Despite the best efforts of some, college sports is not a business. They exist to provide athletic opportunities to students, and are a part of the overall educational path for some students, just like band and theatre are for others.

The vast majority of college sports draw small crowds but provide life enriching experiences, and connections to alums and the community.
Using your metric college spirts would consist of about 40 football teams, a few dozen basketball teams and virtually nothing else. You are blocking thousands of kids from an experience that many consider the best of their college years and perhaps best of a lifetime.

This kind of reasonable talk won't be tolerated on this board!

It's all about the benjamins in college extracurriculars! #nocultureproblem

Last edited:
3 more wins and the team is now 13-3 before their first big 10 game against Minnesota. Since they play Nebraska right after the BW game, I think I’ll go and watch and try to grab a burger somewhere there or along the way. It should be fun to catch a game there - my first one, although I’m often in the stadium for invited pre football events. It’s a great looking venue.

Last edited:
That's really good for them...However you you want an indicator of where they are with better teams look at the Duke series...they're close but a few players away.

Sorry for the delay. You requested that you be notified when a home game drew 500 or more fans. I didn't notice if anyone had done so but it happened last Friday: 751

That's really good for them...However you you want an indicator of where they are with better teams look at the Duke series...they're close but a few players away.
They did take one game from Duke, though. Anyone expecting for Penn State baseball to be a consistently ranked team and winning series from ranked ACC teams is asking to be disappointed. But for a program that’s for so many years struggled to be relevant in the Big Ten, going a combined 3-3 against Duke and UCF is pretty significant as there probably isn’t a team they’ll play in the conference that’s as good as Duke is.

They did take one game from Duke, though. Anyone expecting for Penn State baseball to be a consistently ranked team and winning series from ranked ACC teams is asking to be disappointed. But for a program that’s for so many years struggled to be relevant in the Big Ten, going a combined 3-3 against Duke and UCF is pretty significant as there probably isn’t a team they’ll play in the conference that’s as good as Duke is.

100% agree. PSU (and all teams above Maryland) are at an extreme baseball disadvantage that most likely will never be overcome....being able to be outside by March 1...lol

I thought it was interesting considering how bad our bball team was.
Also Hippenhammer is playing and doing really well.
You could always not read topics that make you yawn.:rolleyes:

At least she spelled it right!

They were no hit by Duke in a 14-0 loss but came back to win the series by taking the next two games. This team will be fun to follow this year.

They were no hit by Duke in a 14-0 loss but came back to win the series by taking the next two games. This team will be fun to follow this year.

Believe they lost the rubber match to Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT