ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball fans

From the hank aaron thread its obvious there are a lot of big time baseball fans on the board. I was a huge fan in the 1970s and 1980s and i really loved reading all of the bill james stats books. But the 1990s strike and steroids just killed it for me. I never would have thought that i could lose my intetest but its just not the same. I catch a game from time to time and still play softball but nothing like the old days. I could not even tell you who won the cy young award last year. Its really sad. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I used to live and die by my New York Mets. Like you, I could not believe they would just cancel the 1994 World Series and that broke me. I still consider myself a Mets fan and watch them when I can, but unless they do something stupid, I no longer live and die with each win or loss.

I try to follow baseball. But, I’m a Bucco fan. Makes it hard.

I think the most depressed I have been sporting-wise is the Sid Bream game. That was the hardest lost for me ever. It tops even PSU losing some heartbreakers including the 79 sugar bowl.

Regardless of the Bucs success or not, these days I find baseball to be slow and boring

The recent stuff with the minors is making me reconsider my fandom.

I've never been to work on Opening Day since I started my job in 1983. I've only missed three since 1981: 1982 and the last two seasons. In 2019, I had an unavoidable conflict in St Louis, though I thought about flying back to Cincy for it.

I'm a Phils Phan and not a Reds fan, but Opening Day is a regional holiday in these parts, and it's always been the start of spring for me (even though the weather has not always cooperated).

But I don't expect to go this year to Opening Day (due to COVID) and I'm not sure about after that. This minor league stuff (I live in a minor league city) is troublesome.

ADVERTISEMENT