ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball and softball.

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Most seniors have graduated and the NCAA playoffs are yet to come. What are the odds they are over before the end of June. Why not play all year long? Are there any adults running college sports at all? You can not he a student and play 65-90 games.

Reactions: fairgambit
Most seniors have graduated and the NCAA playoffs are yet to come. What are the odds they are over before the end of June. Why not play all year long? Are there any adults running college sports at all? You can not he a student and play 65-90 games.
And it's not just the playing. Factor in practice, working out, travel time (when you can study if you are not too tired), and then some social life, and it can be a real challenge. That said, some kids can handle it and the rest become Associate ADs at Penn State.:)

Yes Fair but it is a huge waste of money and serves no purpose for the university or the students when taken to the extremes of today. When we were at State the baseball team played less than 25 games. I wonder if total attendance at Lion baseball and softball exceeds 20,000 sold tickets. Games and trips should be cut by 50%. These sports departments exist for the benefit of the hugely over staffed a d over paid administration. More titles than Patee Library

Penn State has 31 varsity sports. Southern Cal and Alabama both have 21. Florida State and Maryland have 20. Pitt, Clemson, and Georgia have 19. Texas and Arizona have 18. Oregon State has 17. Sports at Penn State are like Federal Government programs. Once in place they are never cut. That said, I no longer have a dog in the hunt at Penn State so I shouldn't really comment at all.

Last edited:
Taking this off topic somewhat but HS baseball should be played in the fall in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. The last two years the local teams lost untold games to the weather without being rescheduled. District playoffs have started and we've played a total of 13 games to date. I think 20 were scheduled this year. The season starts in March. There are a lot of games scheduled in April and it was one washout or snow-out after another. Then they try to throw doubleheaders at you and have games every day to try to catch up. There are pitch count rules demanding specific days of rest in PIAA and it is really hurting teams when you don't get any days off between games.

I know, good luck moving that boulder of putting baseball in fall against football but these last two years have been really bad for weather. You could play into November and still have a lot of nice days and dry fields. Not going to happen, I know.

Taking this off topic somewhat but HS baseball should be played in the fall in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. The last two years the local teams lost untold games to the weather without being rescheduled. District playoffs have started and we've played a total of 13 games to date. I think 20 were scheduled this year. The season starts in March. There are a lot of games scheduled in April and it was one washout or snow-out after another. Then they try to throw doubleheaders at you and have games every day to try to catch up. There are pitch count rules demanding specific days of rest in PIAA and it is really hurting teams when you don't get any days off between games.

I know, good luck moving that boulder of putting baseball in fall against football but these last two years have been really bad for weather. You could play into November and still have a lot of nice days and dry fields. Not going to happen, I know.

Your fall idea is a good one, but you are right. Nothing will change.

Many underclass baseball players spend their summers playing in summer collegiate leagues which run through July. They basically have a few weeks in August at home before they return to campus and have fall baseball practice. They basically have the month of December off from baseball so they are essentially playing 11 months out of the year.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Taking this off topic somewhat but HS baseball should be played in the fall in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

I attended a high school baseball game today. I believe I counted 7 of the starters for the home team who are also football players. Taking 2 or 3 of these players off either squad would certainly hurt its ability to be competitive.
Some schools, especially larger schools and private schools, have many athletes who specialize in one sport. I’m happy to say most of the athletes in my local high school continue to play multiple sports. Flopping seasons so one sport can play perhaps a handful of additional games would be very unfair to these multi-sport athletes and their teammates.

Why are schools - at any level - paying for sports programs? In a more perfect world, they would not.

I attended a high school baseball game today. I believe I counted 7 of the starters for the home team who are also football players. Taking 2 or 3 of these players off either squad would certainly hurt its ability to be competitive.
Some schools, especially larger schools and private schools, have many athletes who specialize in one sport. I’m happy to say most of the athletes in my local high school continue to play multiple sports. Flopping seasons so one sport can play perhaps a handful of additional games would be very unfair to these multi-sport athletes and their teammates.

I completely understand, which is why I know it's not happening. It would make more sense to flip flop the seasons completely and play football from March to the end of the school year but that's not happening either. I enjoy both sports and don't wish to see either of them get shorted. Baseball games get canceled for bad weather and football games don't. I like fall football as much as anybody else. I don't like having 30 or 40% of a baseball season written off. It's just something that must be dealt with.

Reactions: bison13
Nothing against the men and women student athletes that play at State but those two teams should be chopped. However given the money put into both facilities it will never happen. 31 teams is stupid from my point of view.

Many underclass baseball players spend their summers playing in summer collegiate leagues which run through July. They basically have a few weeks in August at home before they return to campus and have fall baseball practice. They basically have the month of December off from baseball so they are essentially playing 11 months out of the year.
That’s what my son did. He played baseball almost year round from the time he was in grade school. He did play basketball in high school, which is also pretty much year round, and his commitment to baseball hurt him in basketball because he missed a lot of the summer workouts and tournaments. In college it was baseball year round between workouts, BP, the season, the summer league, etc.

Penn State has 31 varsity sports. Southern Cal and Alabama both have 21. Florida State and Maryland have 20. Pitt, Clemson, and Georgia have 19. Texas and Arizona have 18. Oregon State has 17. Sports at Penn State are like Federal Government programs. Once in place they are never cut. That said, I no longer have a dog in the hunt at Penn State so I shouldn't really comment at all.

Something tells me that we may be seeing fewer sports at PSU in the not too distant future.

Reactions: stormingnorm

No offense but I don't understand the point of this post. I played D1 College baseball and most baseball teams play 50-60 games and the College World Series is always over by the end of June, if you make it to the postseason a lot of those games are after your school year so its not like you're missing classes. You have tutors, study halls, and now the ability to take classes online so.. Plus guys that make it to play college ball have dedicated their life for the opportunity and sacrificed a lot of social aspects to play ball. All college athletes know what they are getting into when they sign and its basically a job. As, another poster said you play all summer in summer leagues, play in the fall, you're in the weight room 6 days a week during the winter and you start back up in Jan and guys have been doing this for years. It helps you learn sacrifice, time management, and organization which leads to becoming a more productive adult..

I completely understand, which is why I know it's not happening. It would make more sense to flip flop the seasons completely and play football from March to the end of the school year but that's not happening either. I enjoy both sports and don't wish to see either of them get shorted. Baseball games get canceled for bad weather and football games don't. I like fall football as much as anybody else. I don't like having 30 or 40% of a baseball season written off. It's just something that must be dealt with.
No doubt this was a particularly bad year for HS baseball weather. As you suggest, a move to the fall would eliminate kids who play football so that will never happen. One thought I have had - and it brings with it its own problems - is to shorten the HS baseball season and instead of starting around March 20, maybe begin around April 10. This would necessarily require playing 4 games a week and this will place a greater premium on pitching depth; most good high school teams have two good pitchers plus another two who can give some innings. That gets you through a week with 2 games. But this would idea would, in theory, help to eliminate the games played in ridiculous March-early April weather. Granted, April and May can bring a lot of rain so pushing the schedule back does not guarantee much.

The problem you would have with shortening the baseball season is nobody will come to PSU to play baseball. Remember, these kids want to play big time D-1 ball and many, if not all, have ambitions of playing pro ball. PSU, and all teams in the north, face the weather disadvantage. If you now tell them they are going to play for just a month or so, I can't imagine too many kids will sign on for that deal.

There are many HS baseball coaches who want the season to start in August and end in October for the North region, one of them being ABCA Hall of Famer and team USA youth coach Bernie Walters from MD. AS mentioned before the football guys want the fall to match with college and pros and you would lose too many kids. The other issue is that with so many showcase type tournaments in the summer kids may also have to choose HS or travel team if the HS season were to be moved from March 1 - May 30 as here in MD to April 1-June 30 as many including myself, would like.

As a former player and former coach of current pro players, I like the idea of 3-4 games a week, and starting later to allow the multisport kids to get their arms in shape before going out and trying to throw 100 pitches on a 34 degree day at the end of march. Playing more games a week will force the coaches to develop more pitchers rather than rely on 1 or 2 guys too

Yep.

And the total savings will probably be about equal to 1/10 of the outlay for AAADs......

But - remember - as Sandy has said 1,000 times : “Its all about the kids”.

:)

I think the big BOHICA is on the horizon.

On a tangential subject, when most schools undertake a large capital spending program for athletics they contemporaneously announce a formal fundraising program to go with it. Any idea why PSU didn't?

There are many HS baseball coaches who want the season to start in August and end in October for the North region, one of them being ABCA Hall of Famer and team USA youth coach Bernie Walters from MD. AS mentioned before the football guys want the fall to match with college and pros and you would lose too many kids. The other issue is that with so many showcase type tournaments in the summer kids may also have to choose HS or travel team if the HS season were to be moved from March 1 - May 30 as here in MD to April 1-June 30 as many including myself, would like.

As a former player and former coach of current pro players, I like the idea of 3-4 games a week, and starting later to allow the multisport kids to get their arms in shape before going out and trying to throw 100 pitches on a 34 degree day at the end of march. Playing more games a week will force the coaches to develop more pitchers rather than rely on 1 or 2 guys too
I'm with you Bison. Playing 4 games a week will also force coaches to develop those second tier pitchers rather than just throw 2-3 kids all season.

BOHICA? Agreed.

Why no announced development program?
I would not want to try to voluntarily get inside the heads of the PSU brain trust (it must be dark, damp, and scary in there)........
But I would imagine two key factors:

1) They knew they were not going to be able to raise much (and Sandy is much more of a "raise prices and charge for everything" kinda' gal..... not exactly an innovative thinker)
2) They had plans to go elsewhere for the funds (University-backed Debt)

But that is just one person's impression - - - from the eyes, ears, and brain of someone who's been watching their actions for a while. :)

Hell, Big Gulp Barron has never even come back to explain how the Lasch Building Renovation money came to be (relatively "chump change") :) ....... and none of our Stewards has remembered to ask him

I was afraid you were going to say that.

BTW, it will be University debt, plain and simple. No need for a qualifier.

No offense but I don't understand the point of this post. I played D1 College baseball and most baseball teams play 50-60 games and the College World Series is always over by the end of June, if you make it to the postseason a lot of those games are after your school year so its not like you're missing classes. You have tutors, study halls, and now the ability to take classes online so.. Plus guys that make it to play college ball have dedicated their life for the opportunity and sacrificed a lot of social aspects to play ball. All college athletes know what they are getting into when they sign and its basically a job. As, another poster said you play all summer in summer leagues, play in the fall, you're in the weight room 6 days a week during the winter and you start back up in Jan and guys have been doing this for years. It helps you learn sacrifice, time management, and organization which leads to becoming a more productive adult..
Or not.

Peplion, if you think playing 50-60 games plus playoffs is not a problem, you are the problem. Immature to be pimping a sport with almost no attendance and no adult supervision.

Play 29-

Drop baseball and softball. Students and alums don't give a spit about the sports on campus. There are very few fans to justify the megabucks spent.

Play 29-

Drop baseball and softball. Students and alums don't give a spit about the sports on campus. There are very few fans to justify the megabucks spent.
While I agree that amount spent has not been worth the return, you cant justify cutting these sports as there are more programs with less attendance and money lost than those two. I would even agree in that the NCAA season is too long at approximately 50 games for each, but also as the above posters pointed out, school is over, there is no loss of class time now. Maybe they could start the season a week or two later and only play 40 but even so, this is the northeast, they have to travel to play games in the south and west during March and april.

As far as the talent level and coaching, while it is harder to get the elite players around here to not go south to play and even harder to get ones to come up from the south to play the development of players is lacking for both teams. The coaches need to get better pitching for both teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT