ADVERTISEMENT

Baschamania Interview of Bo and RBY

NittanyLion84

Jan 24, 2016
PA - D9
RBY talks about the reasons he’s coming back. Bo talks about NIL and the integrity of our coaching staff and about how he and his family paid money to come to Penn State, while having offers for a full ride. Also talks about his upcoming MMA Pro debut. RBY not doing world team this year, but him and Nick Lee will be doing some FS later in November.

One thing, RBY said he was "puking" after his match at Carver this year. He also missed a dual the week before ... imagine he was quite a bit under the weather, amazing to gut out that win in that crowd.

One thing, RBY said he was "puking" after his match at Carver this year. He also missed a dual the week before ... imagine he was quite a bit under the weather, amazing to gut out that win in that crowd.
Sick, do nothing stalling and still scored all the offensive points in the 133 pound match. How's he do it?

Reactions: danoftw
That was a great interview. Bo is an awesome informal spokesman and recruiter for Penn State. He just can't stop raving about the program. :) He mentioned how Penn State has had an individual champion at every weight and Penn State is where to go if you want to be a national champion . For everyone who can't understand how Penn State can get all these phenomenal wrestlers with just the 9.9 scholarships, and especially those who allege cheating, it is interesting, as NittanyLion84 mentioned above, that Bo said he had to pay to come to Penn State but he chose to do so anyway even though he could have received a full ride at other schools. Some other bullet points from the interview:

-- Regarding NIL, Bo said that jumping into the transfer portal with just the intent to chase the money is like selling yourself, and if you sell yourself when you are young, you will probably do it when you are older also.
-- Bo is in the Penn State room 3 or 4 days a week, but he is focused on his MMA career now and is currently not pursuing competitive wrestling
-- Roman mentioned the potential of wrestling a modified upcoming season
-- Roman wrestles Gilman every day and says anyone who thinks NLWC isn't the best room in the country is just "a hater"
-- Roman does a lot of cross training, including jiu jitsu
-- Roman will be joining NLWC after his college wrestling career ends
-- Bo mentioned Roman, Carter, Aaron and Greg when he talked about his MMA gym
-- It is obvious that Roman and Bo have great respect for the coaching staff
-- It was heartening to hear both of them talk about how they want to make sure any business/sponsorship deals they participate in are ones of integrity and not just to make a quick buck.
-- Bo feels "called" to serve others and give back. His gratitude for the blessings he has received in his life is obvious
-- They both were very transparent about their faith (Roman thanked Bo for a Bible study they were involved in) and both mentioned how they never want to cause harm to their opponents.

The more I listen to interviews of Penn State wrestlers the more I believe that the mental/spiritual emphases of Cael and the other coaches is the "secret sauce" in the development of the wrestlers. So many of the wrestlers speak of their faith, their gratitude, having fun, not being afraid to lose, enjoying the moment, etc. The aspect of not letting fear of failure drive your wrestling seems to be critical. You see it in so many of the Penn State wrestlers. They wrestle loose, but focused. It is like they feel so blessed to get to wrestle in a big match that their best naturally comes out. I was the opposite as a wrestler. I let fear of failure drive me. Because of that, the mental aspect of most Penn State wrestlers has always stood out to me. They are indeed blessed to have Cael and the other coaches walking with them on their wrestling (and life) journey.

The more I listen to interviews of Penn State wrestlers the more I believe that the mental/spiritual emphases of Cael and the other coaches is the "secret sauce" in the development of the wrestlers. So many of the wrestlers speak of their faith, their gratitude, having fun, not being afraid to lose, enjoying the moment, etc. The aspect of not letting fear of failure drive your wrestling seems to be critical. You see it in so many of the Penn State wrestlers. They wrestle loose, but focused. It is like they feel so blessed to get to wrestle in a big match that their best naturally comes out. I was the opposite as a wrestler. I let fear of failure drive me. Because of that, the mental aspect of most Penn State wrestlers has always stood out to me. They are indeed blessed to have Cael and the other coaches walking with them on their wrestling (and life) journey.
Sssshhhhhhh. Iowa is listening. A great take that I completely agree with. But seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about Iowa figuring it out as long as the Brands Bros are in charge. If you watched the B1G show on them Tom and Terry spent a lot of time talking about how the fear of losing drives them. #oldschool

Sssshhhhhhh. Iowa is listening. A great take that I completely agree with. But seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about Iowa figuring it out as long as the Brands Bros are in charge. If you watched the B1G show on them Tom and Terry spent a lot of time talking about how the fear of losing drives them. #oldschool
The beauty of that ”secret sauce“ is that it cannot be artificially recreated, it has to be felt and real. People can feel real faith, compassion and understanding. And people can easily tell when it’s not real ….

DT and Bo are great ambassadors for Penn State. They talk non stop about how great the program is. Are there others that are so proactive in that regard, that we just don’t hear ?

I mean when a top recruit visits , you could have Nolf. Bo. DT. Zain run into them. Legally too.

grand scheme. 10-15 yrs. Would be awesome for them two to take over. Or one of them

Grand scheme, would be awesome for Cael to be the head coach in 10-15 years.

What's the rush?

Cael is still a young guy. I see no reason why he wouldn't still be the head coach at PSU in 10-15 years if that's what he wants. I get the impression that he absolutely loves what he does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT